Who will jump quad in the Worlds after Plush has withdrawn? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Who will jump quad in the Worlds after Plush has withdrawn?

Lucky Star

Final Flight
Who we like is subjective. But having fair scoring should always be important.

What do you mean by "fair scoring"?
And if Plushenko has "bad 3Lz"... Did you see Evan's 3A? Was it good?..
Was Weir's place fair? Or did Chan deserve 160 points for his FS?...

janetfan

Match Penalty
What do you mean by "fair scoring"?
And if Plushenko has "bad 3Lz"... Did you see Evan's 3A? Was it good?..
Was Weir's place fair? Or did Chan deserve 160 points for his FS?...

I was not a judge in Vancouver - so my comments were directed in support of striving to have fair judging. Is judging perfect? Probably not - but my point was that it should be the goal to have the best judging possible.

Evan beat Plushy on TES - which considering how many wonky jumps Plushy had - plus the fact that Evan did one more triple - and has better spins and better steps seems to justify that score.
I thought Plushy was overmarked again on TR, CH and IN and even SS.

Despite how Mishin said skating was going backwards without a quad - I could clearly see that Evan was the more modern looking skater. Plushy seemed to be skating in a timewarp and his CH and IN looked like it was from the 90's.

But despite my opinion - the fact is that if Plushy would have had better execution he would have won because his pcs were still inflated.

seniorita

Record Breaker
If he had skated perfectly and won would people have crucified him for winning an OGM without being able to do a jump that men have been doing for decades?

just my opinion but none would have noticed , we would have been too busy partying!:cool:
Actually stephane's skate covers up for any no triple axel he doesnt do, i dont mind because his skate is UP like a balloon in the sky comparing to most skaters. :)

Plushenko having no 3F is worse than the Gold Medal winner not having a quad? LOL.

Oh pleaaaaze. Yes he has , he did it in Rostelecom. He took it out and put a 2axel in case he had an edge call I guess. The same edge call on flip the current Oly champion got. :) So do you say Evan has no flip either?

Last edited:

Layfan

Record Breaker
just my opinion but none would have noticed , we would have been too busy partying!:cool:
Actually stephane's skate covers up for any no triple axel he doesnt do, i dont mind because his skate is UP like a balloon in the sky comparing to most skaters. :)

Well, ITA! :biggrin:

Stephane is one of my all-time faves and I would have been thrilled to see him win even without the 3a. Who cares when he has so much else going for him?

And I would have been thrilled to see Dai win whether he landed a quad or not and I WAS thrilled that Evan won.

I do find it exciting when a guy lands a quad but I certainly watch skating for much more than that. The quad, for instance, was only one of the many many reasons why I loved Yagudin. If I cared mostly about the quad, my heart would have been with Tim Goebel at Salt Lake City because he landed three. But Yagudin is all time favorite men's skater and Goebel, though I appreciate him, doesn't make my top 10.

Who among us thought Goebel was a superior skater than Yags? I bet few.

jennylovskt

Medalist
The whole post

Janetfan, I've seen this kind of conversation won't go anywhere. And this is not the first time. I am sick of this North Americans vs. Europeans talk. So you will lose even more of your pleasure in bashing the European skaters because I am going to put you on my ignore list. So don't bother to answer.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
jenny (presuming you haven't already added me to ignore), do you feel that that Plushenko was scored accurately in PCS according to the posted guidelines (Here and Here) If so, how? If not, where was he lacking?

I tend to agree that Evan Lysacek's PCS shot up this year, but given that Plushenko outpointed Lysacek here, it's germane to the discussion to see if you actually think that in terms of the components, you feel that reflected the skating.

Are you serious having this childish answer ?

Who did quads? Yagudin, Lambiel, Kulik, Takahashi, Oda.
Who has to cut his carrier or hang it up because of serious injuries? These one's and Plushenko.

Which ladies did 3-3s in the end of their carrier? Lipinski, Hughes, Ito, Meissner. Are their carrier took long?
The longlasting skaters did 3-3s in the end of their carrier? Slutskaya? Kwan? Arakawa?

So, I still prefer to has longlasting carrier by those who can entertain us.

I cannot understand, how gymnastic comes to that picture. Yes, it is a terribly destroying sport.
I would never allow my children to take THAT sport. I've seen too many destroyed human joins because of elite sport.

I have to say, I agree with you. I'd rather see a skater with a long career who grows artistically than "destroyed human joints." Maybe because I have a doctor in the family, that's the way my mind works too. You're right about bread and circuses--I feel a bit like someone in the Roman Colosseum when I see children wrecking their bodies for my entertainment. That's why I stopped watching gymnastics. I'd hate to give up watching skating, because it's my favorite sport of all, but some of the things I see make me very uneasy.

I understand that the athletes tend to be risk-takers and very driven to achieve success, so that they don't mind taking these chances. But I do wish there were a way to cut down the risk of injury. I hate to admit it, but in a way, COP has achieved that effect, because it concentrates on other elements as well, spins and spirals and footwork. We were certainly shown that when Plushenko's quads were beaten by Lysacek, and Mao with three triple axels came in second after YuNa.

EDIT: But wait a minute....did I miss something? Is Plushenko not coming to the worlds? Where was I that I missed that announcement? Wow!

Last edited:

Ravensque

On the Ice
I'm hoping that Kevin Reynolds is able to land all his jumps(quads especially cleanly) in both programs and can move into the top 10. I'm really impressed with the improvement in the rest of his skating this year. Granted, he's got a ways to go but the improvement shows that he's serious about moving up and that he is working very hard to make the move to being a contender. I'm thinking there's a lot of potential in this kid.

CdnSkateWatcher

On the Ice
I'm hoping that Kevin Reynolds is able to land all his jumps(quads especially cleanly) in both programs and can move into the top 10. I'm really impressed with the improvement in the rest of his skating this year. Granted, he's got a ways to go but the improvement shows that he's serious about moving up and that he is working very hard to make the move to being a contender. I'm thinking there's a lot of potential in this kid.

He did well. If he hadn't popped the 3A, or if he had even turned it into a 2A, he would have been up a fair bit higher in the standings. He admits to struggling with the axel; it's a problem for him, he finds it more difficult than the other jumps. However, apparently he's working on a 4L as well - and is beginning to land it in practice! He's come a long way on the artistic side in the past year, and there are improvements in skating skills. He's still young, after all.