Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Men's Preview

News Men's Preview

The men's field is the most depleted in the competition, missing four of the top six skaters who competed at the Olympic Games last month.
    More

With the 4 Kings out of the competition (Evan, Evgeni, Stephane and Johnny), we can only look to Daisuke for the Gold. But can he do it in Europe which in previous years was not his favorite venue. We'll soon see. Brian has some mending to do here but it is Europe, so we can't rule him out.

The rest of the entrants who have shown some spunk somewhere, will be looking at the podium for a spot. I expect some good skating here.

The Future Mrs. Evan Lysacek #1Kerryfan's Avatar
    I may be too nervous to watch mens - the US men resurrected my love for skating after the ladies I liked were all pretty much gone after 06 (EVAN, Ryan, Jeremy, Johnny, Adam), but with Johnny and Evan gone, I can't see the US doing well. I really want Ryan to win (his US free skate was incredible), Jeremy to have a consolation competition after the Olympics and Adam to begin his international career, but things don't look good.

Takahashi probably will win, but Jeremy, Patrick or Nobunari could steal it.

Custom Title
    My money's on Michal to medal. I think he really wants this.

Custom Title
    I hope that if Takahashi wins it will be to his fullest potential not being safe as its described in the preview.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    I hope that if Takahashi wins it will be to his fullest potential not being safe as its described in the preview.
    I hope he wins skating all out. But Tak might have learned his lesson from the Olympics where he would have won the gold had he not tried the quad.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Takahashi probably will win, but Jeremy, Patrick or Nobunari could steal it.

That's pretty much the way I see it ...

Interesting that the preview said Takahashi should leave out the quad. It might be good advice. Taka is such a brilliant skater. Maybe he doesn't need the quad as much as other skaters do. OTH, if Jeremy lands a quad and is clean and Taka is clean but doesn't try the quad....

Maybe the quad business will come down to who skates when and how they other guy who skated before did.

Moving on ...

I really want to be the best, and who knows, there might be someone coming up the next couple years with just as good skating skills as me, so I can't really rest on my laurels, I have to keep pushing myself."

I really love Chan's skating and I want to root for him. But everytime he talks....

"Rest on my laurels?"

Oh, Chan. Well, I don't doubt that he actually does work very hard even though he talks like all the oceans dried up and he's the last coca-cola in the world.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby1Dawg View Post
    I hope he wins skating all out. But Tak might have learned his lesson from the Olympics where he would have won the gold had he not tried the quad.
    Yes, I thought that it was not clever to try if he is lucky with the quad, as the jump had not been consistent at all during the practices. One must have a certain percentage to rely on, if one tries some difficult jump under high pressure conditions like Olympics or even Worlds. I don´t consider that "playing it safe", but being sensible.

I´m not sure that he lost the gold because of the quad, as he had other mistakes as well. Definetely he lost the silver because of the quad...
    Last edited by Jaana; 03-21-2010 at 01:39 PM.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    well he was 10.44 points away from gold, if he had landed it plus a very little +Goe and for sure a little more in pcs since he would have the almost perfect program, he would be gold. There is no way judges would not have given it to him.
    And the downgrade was a joke.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    With the 4 Kings out of the competition (Evan, Evgeni, Stephane and Johnny), we can only look to Daisuke for the Gold.
    It depends on which Daisuke, Jeremy, Patrick, Brian, and Nobunari show up to this championship. Dai is coming in as the only Olympic medalist, which is to his advantage, but Jeremy did beat Dai for the Skate Canada title this season and also out-placed Dai at the GPF this season. If Nationals Jeremy shows up in both programs, I believe the World title is his and the same outcome could happen if he skates 2 clean programs without the quad in the LP. As we have always seen with Patrick, he will garner very high PCS marks even with some technical glitches and he's the reigning World silver medalist. Brian has the most impressive resume of anyone competing in this championship if you discount his multiple disappointing experiences at the Olympic Games. We will have to see what condition he is in mentally and emotionally though; there's no doubt his confidence level has taken a HUGE hit as the only event where he has had any mojo going was back at the NHK Trophy this season. Every other competition for him this season has been pretty much a disaster. Nobunari has the wins in TEB and COC and the GPF silver medal this season coming into this event. Any of these guys could win or be on the World podium . . . should be exciting to see what happens.

nefertiti..reincarnate
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby1Dawg View Post
    According to Dai-chan's coach, he will go for the quad.
    http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/10...1152005-n1.htm

BTW "Tak" is usually Takahiko Kozuka.

Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    Oh, Chan. Well, I don't doubt that he actually does work very hard even though he talks like all the oceans dried up and he's the last coca-cola in the world.
    I love Patrick but I had to LOL over this. Shut up and skate!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
    I love Patrick but I had to LOL over this. Shut up and skate!
    I totally agree. As a Canadian I am embarassed to read his interviews, it is one thing to be confident and another to be cocky. He is the latter. He made me root for Jeremy,Dai, etc,

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by sorcerer View Post
    According to Dai-chan's coach, he will go for the quad.
    http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/10...1152005-n1.htm
    A true Champion at the heart! I wish this one is his!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast