Men's Preview | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Men's Preview

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Nice preview again by Elvin. Nothing insightful on skating, but gets the job done with up-to-date news. Funny how the only quotes in the articles are from the always talkative P.Chan :biggrin:

The two ! on the Lutz's seemed questionable given he has never really been called on edge calls prior to the Olympics.

I can't wait for Dai to dazzle us with more of his programs :love:

ITA, his Lutz has been the same as before, and he doesn't two footed or anything. Even his landing is a little tight, it doesn't warrent the -GOE. I think its like they are trying make room for Plushy or Evan to end up on top.

The world title is over due for him, and I crossing my finger he really put it together this time.

Phoenix347

Final Flight
I would like to see Takahashi get a world championship here. He's a special skater and who knows how much longer he'll compete? As for the quad flip, I hope he doesn't try it out at the worlds since I'm hearing that he couldn't land it during practice. I think doing a quad toe-loop should be enough. Hope he can at least fully rotate and land that jump... then the world championship should be he's. I hate to say this but I don't hold out much hope for either Joubert of Abbott. I hope I'm wrong, however.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
I would like to see Takahashi get a world championship here. He's a special skater and who knows how much longer he'll compete? As for the quad flip, I hope he doesn't try it out at the worlds since I'm hearing that he couldn't land it during practice. I think doing a quad toe-loop should be enough. Hope he can at least fully rotate and land that jump... then the world championship should be he's. I hate to say this but I don't hold out much hope for either Joubert of Abbott. I hope I'm wrong, however.

But he'll probably stick around for next year, and then Worlds are in Japan and he can win there - like Lysacek won in LA and Ando won in 2007 (forgot the city... Tokyo?). Also, the reason I'm rooting for Kostner to medal now.

Bennett

Record Breaker
well he was 10.44 points away from gold, if he had landed it plus a very little +Goe and for sure a little more in pcs since he would have the almost perfect program, he would be gold. There is no way judges would not have given it to him.
And the downgrade was a joke.
But there seemed an extremely slim chance for Dai to have landed that quad. The more plausible "if" scenario would have been "if he hadn't tried the quad, then..." Would you think that he had beaten Plush and Evan? In order for a quadless guy to win, he had to be clean, but he made other mistakes, too. Actually, it would have been even more controversial if Plush had been beaten by two quadless guys for Gold and Silver.

I think it's tough for Dai to leave out the quad since it's a move that's been with him since he was 17-18 years old, that's one part of him I would think....

He may be being inpatient with the current status that he does not have the quad he used to have before the injury.

I would like to see Takahashi get a world championship here. He's a special skater and who knows how much longer he'll compete? As for the quad flip, I hope he doesn't try it out at the worlds since I'm hearing that he couldn't land it during practice. I think doing a quad toe-loop should be enough. Hope he can at least fully rotate and land that jump... then the world championship should be he's.
I've been hearing that he's not landing his quad toe, either. I think that we have to wait and see the next season.

Even though Jeremy and Joubert were not at their top forms at the Olympics, both have the ability to beat Dai.

Last edited:

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
I just realized - this is the the same ice the Olympics were on four years ago! It definitely has a different feel without Evan (I MISS YOU:cry:), Johnny, Plushenko, Stephane, and other people I'm sure I've forgotten. Then again, worlds is always low-key an Olympic year.

Last edited: