Ladies Preview | Golden Skate

Ladies Preview

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
All eyes will be on the Olympic Champion Kim Yuna from South Korea in Torino as she tries to follow up her world record setting performances in Vancouver with a second consecutive World Championships title.

More

The Bronze Medal is definitely the question since Rochette wont be there. However, there was no mention of Flatt in the Preview who took a beating with those judges in Vancouver. or was it the Tech Panel? We'll see her in Torino skating for that bronze medal also.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The article mentioned Flatt's Olympic URs as if they were a commonplace occurrence. That is NOT true. While Mirai Nagasu has received UR calls last season and this season up until the Olympics, Rachael received NO URs at 2009 Worlds and none in her GP events this season.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
At this point, I'd say the bronze will be a three-way fight between Ando, Nagasu, and Flatt, with the outside chance of Suzuki, Lepisto, or Kostner sneaking in there. Alena and Ksenia are good, but I don't think they will get the PCS needed to be up that high. Most likely I think Ando will win the bronze, then after that I'd say Mirai, then Rachael. I just wonder where both Rachael and Mirai have skated so well at their past two competitions in a row, if they will be able to match performances of that calliber here in Torino. I hope so, but it's hard to know. Where Miki was not stellar at Japanese Nats or the Olympics, I'm wondering if she is poised to peak at the right time and skate her best performances of the season here. I guess we'll know soon enough.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I think it will be Ando or Nagasu for bronze. Flatt will be in there too. Of course, someone could take the silver from Mao. She's not a complete lock.

Layfan

Record Breaker
At this point, I'd say the bronze will be a three-way fight between Ando, Nagasu, and Flatt, with the outside chance of Suzuki, Lepisto, or Kostner sneaking in there. Alena and Ksenia are good, but I don't think they will get the PCS needed to be up that high. Most likely I think Ando will win the bronze, then after that I'd say Mirai, then Rachael. I just wonder where both Rachael and Mirai have skated so well at their past two competitions in a row, if they will be able to match performances of that calliber here in Torino. I hope so, but it's hard to know. Where Miki was not stellar at Japanese Nats or the Olympics, I'm wondering if she is poised to peak at the right time and skate her best performances of the season here. I guess we'll know soon enough.

ITA and have pretty much nothing else to add to Silverlake's assessment :biggrin:

Except this: It can't have escaped the attention of Rachael and Mirai that they have a very good chance of medaling with Joannie out of the picture. I hope that doesn't knock their focus too much. Probably Lepisto is thinking the same.

Miki would have been disappointed with finishing off the podium with or without Joannie.

Maybe Ando was too much of an afterthought in this preview. I mean, before the Olympics people were talking about her the being the surprise gold medalist if Kim faltered ... Just cuz she faltered at the Olys doesn't mean she should be dismissed as an afterthought behind nagasu and flatt just yet.

Other than that ITA with everything written.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
ITA and have pretty much nothing else to add to Silverlake's assessment :biggrin:

Except this: It can't have escaped the attention of Rachael and Mirai that they have a very good chance of medaling with Joannie out of the picture. I hope that doesn't knock their focus too much. Probably Lepisto is thinking the same.

Miki would have been disappointed with finishing off the podium with or without Joannie.

Maybe Ando was too much of an afterthought in this preview. I mean, before the Olympics people were talking about her the being the surprise gold medalist if Kim faltered ... Just cuz she faltered at the Olys doesn't mean she should be dismissed as an afterthought behind nagasu and flatt just yet.

Other than that ITA with everything written.

:agree: . Yeah I think Miki being off the radar is a good position for her - I think both she and Oda must have been a little dissapointed with their placements at the Olympics and will really fight for medals here. Also, Miki has a tendency to do well at worlds, so I think she likes this competition.

sorcerer

Final Flight
I wouldn't say Miki's Olympic performance was her very best, but for her it was a breakthrough in the sense that she finally overcame the flashbacks of her nightmare in the last Olys, IMO.

Miki said after her free skate that she felt really glad that she's been a figure skater "from the very bottom of my heart, and maybe for the first time ever." Her face beamed saying so.
She had been fighting against her own trauma for four years long, and now finally, she is truly releaved !!

Don't worry Miki, let anyone say what they will. Just be yourself, enjoy, and let it all out!!

I hope Chukum does an analysis of the Judges and Tech Panel once they are known which should be tomorrow.

I think with a new set of judges, Miki and Rachael may very well join the group battling for a bronze.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I hope Chukum does an analysis of the Judges and Tech Panel once they are known which should be tomorrow.

I think with a new set of judges, Miki and Rachael may very well join the group battling for a bronze.

I don't think anyone doubts that.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I don't think anyone doubts that.

With a new set of judges if Miki and Rachael skate SP's like they did in Vancouver they could find themselves with much lower marks. I thought their SP scores were quite generous in Vancouver.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
With a new set of judges if Miki and Rachael skate SP's like they did in Vancouver they could find themselves with much lower marks. I thought their SP scores were quite generous in Vancouver.

I agree with you there, but I feel like compared to some of the monstrous FS scores we saw that night, both of their FS scores could have been higher. I thought Rachael having a higher score than Mirai in the SP was bull but in her FS I thought she deserved more than 117 for a clean, 7 triple skate.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
I just hope pressure doesn't get to Marai, thinking 'Rochett is out of the picture and I'm 4th so it should be easy for me...etc.'. She still have to fight off Miki, Rachael and Laura. Honestly, of the four, I want Marai to get the bronze. I wouldn't mind if Ando or Laura get one too if other are less than steller, probably Rachael the least.

It would be interesting to see if the judges will continue to give huge +GOE to Yuna and if Mao and Yuna will get over 67+ PCS mark. If they get it, I think Marai definitely deserve at least 64-65 PCS mark. Laura probably 62-63, Ando 61-62 and Flatt under 60.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I think Mirai will be fine. Pressure? What pressure?

Hopefully and when you think about it, who ever heard of anyone being under pressure to win the bronze? It's a strange situation. I think Frank Carroll will find a way to pressure Mirai into focusing on skating well and not worry about the standings.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
It would be interesting to see if the judges will continue to give huge +GOE to Yuna and if Mao and Yuna will get over 67+ PCS mark. If they get it, I think Marai definitely deserve at least 64-65 PCS mark. Laura probably 62-63, Ando 61-62 and Flatt under 60.

That's what I was wondering. I expect Yu-na to get huge GOE like always (it wasn't a one-time thing), but I do wonder if the gigantic PCS marks from the Olympics will stay.

janetfan

Match Penalty
That's what I was wondering. I expect Yu-na to get huge GOE like always (it wasn't a one-time thing), but I do wonder if the gigantic PCS marks from the Olympics will stay.

If Yuna got huge scores in Vancouver there was a reason for it - it was the best she ever skated. It is completely justifiable that the world record holder - skating better than she ever has before would get higher scores than before.

The fuss over scores puzzles me at times because it is placement that matters. Yuna was close to perfect and the others were not.

Game, set and match to Yuna. Oh yea, and the OGM! The score is just icing on the cake and people will remember years from now that Yuna was the 2010 Olympic champion. Her scores will most likely be forgotten

Last edited:

Phoenix347

Final Flight
If Yuna got huge scores in Vancouver there was a reason for it - it was the best she ever skated. It is completely justifiable that the world record holder - skating better than she ever has before would get higher scores than before.

The fuss over scores puzzles me at times because it is placement that matters. Yuna was close to perfect and the others were not.

Game, set and match to Yuna. Oh yea, and the OGM! The score is just icing on the cake and people will remember years from now that Yuna was the 2010 Olympic champion. Her scores will most likely be forgotten

I'm thinking along the same line. Her score may not be remembered but people will remember that she skated two very clean program with a lot of artistry and that she won the gold medal going away. I heard that she's in a more comfortable state of mind as she arrived in Torino for the World Championship. I think she will perform two wonderful programs at the world. It could be her swan song so I'm hoping that she'll finish her career on a high note.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I'm thinking along the same line. Her score may not be remembered but people will remember that she skated two very clean program with a lot of artistry and that she won the gold medal going away. I heard that she's in a more comfortable state of mind as she arrived in Torino for the World Championship. I think she will perform two wonderful programs at the world. It could be her swan song so I'm hoping that she'll finish her career on a high note.

Did she officially say that she will be retiring? I never heard that