Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Ladies Preview

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix347 View Post
    I think Mirai will be fine. Pressure? What pressure?
    Hopefully and when you think about it, who ever heard of anyone being under pressure to win the bronze? It's a strange situation. I think Frank Carroll will find a way to pressure Mirai into focusing on skating well and not worry about the standings.

Waiting for on-ice perfection.
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderlen3000 View Post
    It would be interesting to see if the judges will continue to give huge +GOE to Yuna and if Mao and Yuna will get over 67+ PCS mark. If they get it, I think Marai definitely deserve at least 64-65 PCS mark. Laura probably 62-63, Ando 61-62 and Flatt under 60.
    That's what I was wondering. I expect Yu-na to get huge GOE like always (it wasn't a one-time thing), but I do wonder if the gigantic PCS marks from the Olympics will stay.

Quote Originally Posted by dlgpffps View Post
    That's what I was wondering. I expect Yu-na to get huge GOE like always (it wasn't a one-time thing), but I do wonder if the gigantic PCS marks from the Olympics will stay.
    If Yuna got huge scores in Vancouver there was a reason for it - it was the best she ever skated. It is completely justifiable that the world record holder - skating better than she ever has before would get higher scores than before.

The fuss over scores puzzles me at times because it is placement that matters. Yuna was close to perfect and the others were not.

Game, set and match to Yuna. Oh yea, and the OGM! The score is just icing on the cake and people will remember years from now that Yuna was the 2010 Olympic champion. Her scores will most likely be forgotten
    Last edited by janetfan; 03-22-2010 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    If Yuna got huge scores in Vancouver there was a reason for it - it was the best she ever skated. It is completely justifiable that the world record holder - skating better than she ever has before would get higher scores than before.

The fuss over scores puzzles me at times because it is placement that matters. Yuna was close to perfect and the others were not.

Game, set and match to Yuna. Oh yea, and the OGM! The score is just icing on the cake and people will remember years from now that Yuna was the 2010 Olympic champion. Her scores will most likely be forgotten
    I'm thinking along the same line. Her score may not be remembered but people will remember that she skated two very clean program with a lot of artistry and that she won the gold medal going away. I heard that she's in a more comfortable state of mind as she arrived in Torino for the World Championship. I think she will perform two wonderful programs at the world. It could be her swan song so I'm hoping that she'll finish her career on a high note.

Custom Title
    I'm thinking along the same line. Her score may not be remembered but people will remember that she skated two very clean program with a lot of artistry and that she won the gold medal going away. I heard that she's in a more comfortable state of mind as she arrived in Torino for the World Championship. I think she will perform two wonderful programs at the world. It could be her swan song so I'm hoping that she'll finish her career on a high note.
    Did she officially say that she will be retiring? I never heard that

Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Did she officially say that she will be retiring? I never heard that
    I should have wrote:

It could be her swan song so I'm hoping that she'll finish her career on a high note if it's her last performance.

Custom Title
    I should have wrote:

It could be her swan song so I'm hoping that she'll finish her career on a high note if it's her last performance.
    Here is an article on CBC website about how difficult it has been for Yuna to go back into training at first, after the Olympics. I'm kind of sad as I am convinced more and more that she will not be able to continue beyond the Worlds. It is hard to push for perfection, when you have put down two perfect programs at the biggest Stage in the sport. My money is on that the worlds is going to be her last competitive career. I am sure she will retire after that. This is one reason, I did not want Yuna to win OGM because I would like to see her get better and better. But I can't be selfish. For this 20 year old she spent 3/4 of her life on ice. She deserves to experience other things in life. Same thing can be said for Virtue and Moir. With Shen and Zhao, it is completely different scenario.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskati...kim-yu-na.html

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aurora100 View Post
    Here is an article on CBC website about how difficult it has been for Yuna to go back into training at first, after the Olympics. I'm kind of sad as I am convinced more and more that she will not be able to continue beyond the Worlds. It is hard to push for perfection, when you have put down two perfect programs at the biggest Stage in the sport. My money is on that the worlds is going to be her last competitive career. I am sure she will retire after that. This is one reason, I did not want Yuna to win OGM because I would like to see her get better and better. But I can't be selfish. For this 20 year old she spent 3/4 of her life on ice. She deserves to experience other things in life. Same thing can be said for Virtue and Moir. With Shen and Zhao, it is completely different scenario.

I think Yuna will retire for a little while then come back, maybe for 2014 Olympics or maybe before that. She's so famous that it will be hard for her to live a "normal" life, but I do forsee her becoming a coach at somepoint in the future.

Custom Title
    I think Yuna will retire for a little while then come back, maybe for 2014 Olympics or maybe before that. She's so famous that it will be hard for her to live a "normal" life, but I do forsee her becoming a coach at somepoint in the future.
    I agree with you. I think it is possible to see her for 2014 Olympics. And I believe she will stay in the skating world for a long time, just not as a competitor. I think she will do a lot of shows in Korea and around the world before she ever settles down for coaching. She seems to be more interested in making a financial contribution so that there can be better training facilities and programs. With all the $ she makes she can do that. Korea government is also talking about making her the front person in their bid for 2018 Olympics for Pyungchang, Korea.

I just think she will take a break after the Worlds, and once that happens, there is no guarantee she will return to World/Olympic level skating, since so much could happen to her and so much new talent could fill the space, even within Korea and around the world. And that is not a bad thing for figure skating. I just would like to see more of Yuna in her top form and that's what we will miss.

Custom Title
    I thought Rachael having a higher score than Mirai in the SP was bull but in her FS I thought she deserved more than 117 for a clean, 7 triple skate.
    It wasn't a clean skate. She had two UR calls. Whether you agree with them or not, that's what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by aurora100 View Post

I don't think this is the case at all. During most recent fan meeting after the olympics Yuna said she would love to use Tango de Roxanne again as a gala program. Why would she say that if she wasn't thinking about continuing? This is too good of a talent to let go at age 20, don't you think?? I hope (and believe) that she will stay in the field as long as she could and build career like Kwan did.

It's strange, but I'm not worried about Mirai as much as I was worried about her at Nats and the Olympics. The vibe that I've gotten from her is that this is her "bonus" season; one where all she has to do is focus on doing her best, and not shoot for a particular finish. She wasn't expecting to go to the Olympics, she definitely wasn't expecting to finish fourth, and medal at Worlds? Yeah, not on the radar.

Mirai has given me nothing to think that she might revert back to her '09 self all of a sudden. I'm quite calm in regards to her, really. Techincally, all she NEEDS to do is skate well enough to secure the US three spots next year. She proved what she needed to prove at the Olympics; Worlds is bonus. I think she's the kind of girl that gains more confidence with each success, so hopefully she's going into Torino knowing that she has Vancouver under her belt, and she'll do just fine.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ryoko View Post
    I don't think this is the case at all. During most recent fan meeting after the olympics Yuna said she would love to use Tango de Roxanne again as a gala program. Why would she say that if she wasn't thinking about continuing? This is too good of a talent to let go at age 20, don't you think?? I hope (and believe) that she will stay in the field as long as she could and build career like Kwan did.
    If she goes pro, all of her programs will be gala (i.e. non-competitive) programs.
    I don't think anyone's going to disagree that "she's too good of a talent to let go at age 20". This said, if she can't find maintain motivation after reaching her ultimate goal (Olympic Gold, and with a world record, to boot), then it's out of our control, isn't it?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SerpentineSteps View Post
    If she goes pro, all of her programs will be gala (i.e. non-competitive) programs.
    I don't think anyone's going to disagree that "she's too good of a talent to let go at age 20". This said, if she can't find maintain motivation after reaching her ultimate goal (Olympic Gold, and with a world record, to boot), then it's out of our control, isn't it?
    The way the Olympics fall makes it tricky, she will be 23 for Sochi, and while that is not old, some people do retire at a younger age than that. Most people don't retire before they are 20 though, but if she wants to go to college and try to live a more normal life, this is the time she should try to do that. If she ends up missing skating I'm sure she will return to competitive ice. If she does retire though, it will give other skaters a chance to actually win competitions. I will miss her greatly if she does retire, but I'm sure we'll continue to see a lot of her in the skating world, whether it be as a pro skater, competitive skater, or coach.

Custom Title
    I personally am going for Miki and her triple triple. She looks different in practice. She looks so determined to land it and rotate it. It looks cleaner and cleaner, even more then the ones before the olympics.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast