Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Ice Dance Preview

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Keepin' it real gsk8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2,558

    News Ice Dance Preview

    While the pairs and men divisions will be without the Olympic gold medalists, the dance competition is returning both the gold and silver medalists for the competition in Torino.

    More

  2. #2
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    The two Teams are very close in scores but they are miles apart on style.The judges will let us know which style they prefer (barring any mishaps). The bronze team will be a tough decision for the judges. Is there a Russian team that can be included?

  3. #3
    - * - blue_idealist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,761
    IMO, it'll be Faiella and Scali for bronze. Joesitz - Khohklova and Novitski could get on the podium. If it's not either of the two I just mentioned, I think it'll be Pechalat and Bourzat.

  4. #4
    Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,784
    I think Faiella and Scali should be on pretty solid ground for bronze (barring any disasters ). They have two solid programs ( I haven't seen their waltz )...But , I'd love to hear if any ice dance experts here have any technical reasons why they shouldn't...

    I'd be pretty horrified if K/N were placed above them. It seems to me K/N have enjoyed somewhat inflated marks all season and it's made me feel fairly nervous about what would happen once the inevitable retirements occurred.

    I think it's a wise move for the Kerrs to go back to the Kilt Their OD this year was, I thought, merely a show number. Of course the Scottish dance is another kind of "show" number, but I seem to remember there was more of an actual dance feel to it. I really don't like their FD much , so it's hard for me to be totally objective about it.

    I don't much care for P/B 's programs either , though I suppose if I had to choose between their FD and the Kerr's..P/B's would win out. As far as I can tell , there's not much difference between them technically.

    None of my up and comer favourites will reasonably be in contention for a medal...yet...
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 03-20-2010 at 11:30 PM.

  5. #5
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen o'neill View Post
    I think Faiella and Scali should be on pretty solid ground for bronze (barring any disasters ). They have two solid programs ( I haven't seen their waltz )...But , I'd love to hear if any ice dance experts here have any technical reasons why they shouldn't...

    I'd be pretty horrified if K/N were placed above them. It seems to me K/N have enjoyed somewhat inflated marks all season and it's made me feel fairly nervous about what would happen once the inevitable retirements occurred.

    I think it's a wise move for the Kerrs to go back to the Kilt Their OD this year was, I thought, merely a show number. Of course the Scottish dance is another kind of "show" number, but I seem to remember there was more of an actual dance feel to it. I really don't like their FD much , so it's hard for me to be totally objective about it.

    I don't much care for P/B 's programs either , though I suppose if I had to choose between their FD and the Kerr's..P/B's would win out. As far as I can tell , there's not much difference between them technically.

    None of my up and comer favourites will reasonably be in contention for a medal...yet...
    While I do not believe Americana and Keltic dancing sells in Europe, I do agree that the Kerrs were wise to go Scottish.

  6. #6
    Penny & Nick! La Rhumba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    606
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    While I do not believe Americana and Keltic dancing sells in Europe, I do agree that the Kerrs were wise to go Scottish.
    On the contrary, Celtic music and dance has been popular all over Europe for a decade or more.

    Riverdance was formed out of a production number put together to entertain the live audience and TV viewers when Dublin hosted the Eurovision Song Contest, and Flatley has toured all over Europe. Plus there are 'Irish' pubs in most countries playing Celtic tunes, so it is a very familiar and popular sound/style/culture.

    I'm delighted to see the Kerr's will dance their Scottish OD in Torino, and hopefully this time the Judges will appreciate the merits of it more than last time, when their choreography/performance/interpretation components were absurdly low. Whether the Judges individually like the dance or not, it is authentic and captures the true spirit of Scottish Folk dancing.

    BTW I wonder whether Scott Moir and Massimo Scali will shake hands or embrace on the Podium after what the Italian said about V&M in Vancouver?

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Toronto, On
    Posts
    1,799
    [QUOTE=colleen o'neill;488035]
    I'd be pretty horrified if K/N were placed above them. It seems to me K/N have enjoyed somewhat inflated marks all season and it's made me feel fairly nervous about what would happen once the inevitable retirements occurred.

    I think it's a wise move for the Kerrs to go back to the Kilt Their OD this year was, I thought, merely a show number. Of course the Scottish dance is another kind of "show" number, but I seem to remember there was more of an actual dance feel to it. I really don't like their FD much , so it's hard for me to be totally objective about it.

    QUOTE]

    To be fair, Kho / Nov didn't have inflated scores all year long, they were dinged at SA and in vancouver they were below teams they defeated at Euros, like Pec / Bou and Kerrs. I have the feeling here the judges will help them, but it would be a shame to put them higher than the italians, the programs cannot be compared.

  8. #8
    Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,784
    I thought K/N were marked too high at Euro's ..if I really stop to think about it , that was the competition that really had me shaking my head.. and it's actually hard to take the earlier ones into account , because wasn't that the first time out for their FD?..Anyway , poor wording on my part, but I do still feel this team is often over-rated , and don't feel they should rightly get a chance at the podium, unless others have a disaster.

  9. #9
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    129

    Meryl and Charlie

    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    The two Teams are very close in scores but they are miles apart on style.The judges will let us know which style they prefer (barring any mishaps). The bronze team will be a tough decision for the judges. Is there a Russian team that can be included?
    I am rooting for Meryl and Charlie!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •