Ice Dance Preview | Golden Skate

Ice Dance Preview

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While the pairs and men divisions will be without the Olympic gold medalists, the dance competition is returning both the gold and silver medalists for the competition in Torino.

More

The two Teams are very close in scores but they are miles apart on style.The judges will let us know which style they prefer (barring any mishaps). The bronze team will be a tough decision for the judges. Is there a Russian team that can be included?

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
IMO, it'll be Faiella and Scali for bronze. Joesitz - Khohklova and Novitski could get on the podium. If it's not either of the two I just mentioned, I think it'll be Pechalat and Bourzat.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I think Faiella and Scali should be on pretty solid ground for bronze (barring any disasters ). They have two solid programs ( I haven't seen their waltz )...But , I'd love to hear if any ice dance experts here have any technical reasons why they shouldn't...

I'd be pretty horrified if K/N were placed above them. It seems to me K/N have enjoyed somewhat inflated marks all season and it's made me feel fairly nervous about what would happen once the inevitable retirements occurred.

I think it's a wise move for the Kerrs to go back to the Kilt :) Their OD this year was, I thought, merely a show number. Of course the Scottish dance is another kind of "show" number, but I seem to remember there was more of an actual dance feel to it. I really don't like their FD much , so it's hard for me to be totally objective about it. :unsure:

I don't much care for P/B 's programs either , though I suppose if I had to choose between their FD and the Kerr's..P/B's would win out. As far as I can tell , there's not much difference between them technically.

None of my up and comer favourites will reasonably be in contention for a medal...yet...

Last edited:
I think Faiella and Scali should be on pretty solid ground for bronze (barring any disasters ). They have two solid programs ( I haven't seen their waltz )...But , I'd love to hear if any ice dance experts here have any technical reasons why they shouldn't...

I'd be pretty horrified if K/N were placed above them. It seems to me K/N have enjoyed somewhat inflated marks all season and it's made me feel fairly nervous about what would happen once the inevitable retirements occurred.

I think it's a wise move for the Kerrs to go back to the Kilt :) Their OD this year was, I thought, merely a show number. Of course the Scottish dance is another kind of "show" number, but I seem to remember there was more of an actual dance feel to it. I really don't like their FD much , so it's hard for me to be totally objective about it. :unsure:

I don't much care for P/B 's programs either , though I suppose if I had to choose between their FD and the Kerr's..P/B's would win out. As far as I can tell , there's not much difference between them technically.

None of my up and comer favourites will reasonably be in contention for a medal...yet...
While I do not believe Americana and Keltic dancing sells in Europe, I do agree that the Kerrs were wise to go Scottish.

sfgirl

On the Ice
Meryl and Charlie

The two Teams are very close in scores but they are miles apart on style.The judges will let us know which style they prefer (barring any mishaps). The bronze team will be a tough decision for the judges. Is there a Russian team that can be included?

I am rooting for Meryl and Charlie!:love:

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
While I do not believe Americana and Keltic dancing sells in Europe, I do agree that the Kerrs were wise to go Scottish.

On the contrary, Celtic music and dance has been popular all over Europe for a decade or more.

Riverdance was formed out of a production number put together to entertain the live audience and TV viewers when Dublin hosted the Eurovision Song Contest, and Flatley has toured all over Europe. Plus there are 'Irish' pubs in most countries playing Celtic tunes, so it is a very familiar and popular sound/style/culture.

I'm delighted to see the Kerr's will dance their Scottish OD in Torino, and hopefully this time the Judges will appreciate the merits of it more than last time, when their choreography/performance/interpretation components were absurdly low. Whether the Judges individually like the dance or not, it is authentic and captures the true spirit of Scottish Folk dancing.

BTW I wonder whether Scott Moir and Massimo Scali will shake hands or embrace on the Podium after what the Italian said about V&M in Vancouver?

Buttercup

Record Breaker
BTW I wonder whether Scott Moir and Massimo Scali will shake hands or embrace on the Podium after what the Italian said about V&M in Vancouver?
I assume you mean the comments Scali supposedly made? Because this Icenetwork roundup had an explanation on what happened (scroll down), and the only person who comes out of it badly is the journalist who wrote the story for Yahoo.

npa

Match Penalty
i think Massimo exlane, that he didnt want said something bad about V-M.
And Scott is very friendly person - i think all be OK.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I assume you mean the comments Scali supposedly made? Because this Icenetwork roundup had an explanation on what happened (scroll down), and the only person who comes out of it badly is the journalist who wrote the story for Yahoo.

It's a pity an American female reporter picked up on it and asked a surprised V&M what they thought of being called "not real Dancers" in their Press Conference the following day.
That was the first I heard about it, watching a Canadian newspaper site video of the whole PC a week later. That was a very diplomatic account from icenetwork though, particularly this sentence: "already in the mixed zone far longer than was wise ". Thanks for the link. :agree:

herios

Medalist

QUOTE]

To be fair, Kho / Nov didn't have inflated scores all year long, they were dinged at SA and in vancouver they were below teams they defeated at Euros, like Pec / Bou and Kerrs. I have the feeling here the judges will help them, but it would be a shame to put them higher than the italians, the programs cannot be compared.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:laugh:I thought K/N were marked too high at Euro's ..if I really stop to think about it , that was the competition that really had me shaking my head.. and it's actually hard to take the earlier ones into account , because wasn't that the first time out for their FD?..Anyway , poor wording on my part, but I do still feel this team is often over-rated , and don't feel they should rightly get a chance at the podium, unless others have a disaster.

On the contrary, Celtic music and dance has been popular all over Europe for a decade or more.

i really was talking about the native dances. Not Riverdance which is a conglamoration of various Celtic steps exaggerated.

The Irish have their Step Dance; The Scottish have the Highland Fling; and the Welsh have their Clogging all of which contributed to American Tap Dance, and even that country/western dance they did at the Olys. Riverdance is very modern.

The Kerrs will dance their Highland Fling in full regalia, I hope. It has extremely difficult steps and hopefully scored well this time. IMO, judging in Ice Dance is a strange affair. :scratch:

Clover

Rinkside
I'm surprised that article makes no mention of Khokhlova/Novitsky at all. This has not been a good season for them, but I would not totally discount them either. Remember they started the season with a FD no one liked and dumped it only a few months ago. Their new program is getting better each time they skate it, so who knows how it will look at Worlds. Also they will be Russia's No 1 team now, and so should be getting their federation's full support. Piseev's job seems to be very shaky at the moment - he needs medals at Worlds and his only chance is pairs and dance.

P/B will now also be a No 1 team. It's not right, but being No 1 really seems to make a difference in the marks. At the Olympics all the 2nd teams were dumped. Apart from the mistake on one lift, P.B looked very sharp in the FD at Olympics. I think they also have a realistic chance at bronze.

F/S might be judges favorite for bronze going into Worlds - this is their "lifetime achievement award" and they should have won Euros - so if they skate well, I think they will win. However, they have a history of messing up in key parts of important competitions - so I think it will depend very much on how they skate.

IMO the bronze medal is up for grabs between these 3 teams. K/K have an outside shot if they skate clean and the others screw up.

Clover

Rinkside
I have been looking at the judging thread and if that is correct then Canada, Italy, Great Britain and France will all have NO judge in Dance. Russia and US will. That also should be factored into handicapping the results [which the article again totally ignores - who writes this?]

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I definitely expect K&N to do a lot better here than in Vancouver, especially because their FD will have some more miles on it by then.

herios

Medalist
I have been looking at the judging thread and if that is correct then Canada, Italy, Great Britain and France will all have NO judge in Dance. Russia and US will. That also should be factored into handicapping the results [which the article again totally ignores - who writes this?]

I do not believe where the judges are coming from makes a difference any more, in the computer random picking. That is history. One judge cannot influence the outcome. I don't pay attention to this issue at all.

Clover

Rinkside
I do not believe where the judges are coming from makes a difference any more, in the computer random picking. That is history. One judge cannot influence the outcome. I don't pay attention to this issue at all.

This is sarcasm, right? Just look at the results from last year's worlds to see how much the judging panel influences results.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Can you give us an example? The only one I can think of is the 2009 FD. There was a Canadian judge but no American judge on the panel. Had they been switched, I think we might have seen D/W on the podium instead of V/M (as the 0.04 difference is miniscule, and a change of one GOE by one point or one PCS score by one level/0.25 might have been enough). But when it's that close, changing the judge could definitely have an affect

That said, I don't think their was a Canadian judge at the Olympics for the OD or FD and V/M won those by huge scores, getting multiple tens on the PCS (four) and straight threes on all three lifts. Most people think it's a D/W vs V/M race for gold, and a three/four way race for bronze, and I concur.