Johnny Weir and Stars On Ice | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir and Stars On Ice

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
Before I begin, let me say that I like Johnny Weir and this is not meant to be anti-Weir in any way whatsoever. He is one of my favorite male skaters and I think he deserved to be placed much higher at the Olympics.
But now let me ask - why is it so controversial that Johnny is not included on the Stars On Ice tour? Every year, SOI is composed of 20 or so skaters, and I have never seen anything like this. Threads about him dominate the SOI message board, and there are articles or discussions on just about every skating site I visit.
Johnny has never been on SOI and nobody made a fuss over it last year (or any other year), nor can I remember this happening for any other skater. He was part of Champions On Ice, but from what I remember, that was a much larger tour.
If you have enjoyed SOI without Johnny in the past, what makes this year so different? I can personally say that I am looking forward to the Cleveland performance of SOI. My favorite skater is no secret to anyone I know in the skating world (or really, anyone I know at all), and we all have our favorites, but I don't see this happening for any other skater (more or less controversial than Johnny). Thoughts, anyone?

seafan

Rinkside
After Rudy Galindo won his US title in the mid-90's there was a lot of speculation that his orientation was what kept him from being picked up by SOI, some folks were adamant that his was the only reason he hadn't been brought aboard. I always assumed it was because he and Yamaguchi's pairs partnership did not end on friendly terms and I suspect neither party was interested in spending several weeks on the road in close company. That is the only comparable situation I can recall in eighteen years of following skating.

Wicked

Final Flight
I think the reason it's so controversial that Johnny is not on the tour is because he is so popular right now. SoI had a poll on their website years ago asking people to vote for the skater they most wanted to see on the tour. Johnny won. It's weird that they would not have a skater who is so popular and who people really want to see. Particularly after his performance at the Olympics. While he didn't podium, he gave a tremendous performance that I think made even more people interested in him. I think Johnny would translate into $ for SoI and yet he's not on the tour. That's weird to me.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I feel that this thread again may be absorbed into the main thread.

That said, I'll try to respond to the original post.

More than anything, many ppl really want to see him skate professionally. Even if they do not go to shows themselves, many ppl would wish and feel proud of his success in skating shows.

Johnny's likely to retire soon so that pro career would be important for him. He may become really successful in designing. But it is still hard to imagine that he does not need a pro career in skating at least to enhance his overall career. Then not being admitted to SOI seems like an obstacle for his professional entry.

I also think that the family friendly comment stirred up ppl's interests.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
After Rudy Galindo won his US title in the mid-90's there was a lot of speculation that his orientation was what kept him from being picked up by SOI, some folks were adamant that his was the only reason he hadn't been brought aboard. I always assumed it was because he and Yamaguchi's pairs partnership did not end on friendly terms and I suspect neither party was interested in spending several weeks on the road in close company. That is the only comparable situation I can recall in eighteen years of following skating.

Maybe Galindo just prefered to skate in COI? Besides, I think that group numbers are not every skater´s preference, perhaps? Anyway, Boitano is US Olympic gold medalist and he never skated in SOI, but Orser the Canadian silver medalist did.

I also think that the family friendly comment stirred up ppl's interests.

But that proved to be totally false, according to Weir (finally), didn´t it? I find it sad that falsehoods like that are something that will stick into people´s minds and we will read it repeated again and again, and also in future, I´m afraid. Like that ridiculous SOI poll which Weir won. That poll was just for fun, the skaters for the tour had already been selected in that point. Besides anyone who believes in this kind of poll results, needs to understand that most polls can be manipulated, in one way or another. Besides, anyone from any country was able to vote in that poll, it cannot give any right result of possible ticket sales in USA.

I think that invitations to eligible skaters as SOI guest skaters is not something that has happened many years. Earlier there were pro guest skaters, who were not able to do the whole tour. I also believe that Weir has not had any titles during the time of elibigle skaters appearing as guest skaters in SOI?

Last edited: