2010-11 JGP & SGP - Locations & Dates! | Golden Skate

2010-11 JGP & SGP - Locations & Dates!

skatemom1122

Final Flight
Yes, it is **very** early, but I have stumbled upon this!

SGP dates & locations (except USA) TBD:

GP #1: October 22-24 - NHK Trophy, Japan
GP #2: October 29-31 - Skate Canada, Canada
GP #3: November 5-7 - Cup of China, China
GP #4: November 12-14 - Skate America, Portland, Oregon, USA
GP #5: November 19-21 - Cup of Russia, Russia
GP #6: November 26-28 - Trophee Eric Bompard Cachemire, France

JGP dates & locations:

JGP #1: August 25-28 - Courchevel, France
JGP #2: September 8-12 - Brasov, Romania
JGP #3: September 15-19 - Graz, Austria
JGP #4: September 22-26 - Karuizawa, Japan
JGP #5: September 29-October 3 - Sheffield, Great Britain
JGP #6: October 6-10 - Dresden, Germany
JGP #7: October 13-17 - Ostrava, Czech Republic

JGP & SGP FINAL: December 9-12 - Beijing, China

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Only 7 JGP events? I thought there were always 8? And wow, TEB is so late! Isn't that usually the first competition of the season?

skatemom1122

Final Flight
Yes, only 7 JGPs. This format took effect for the first time in the 09-10 season. Also, yes, TEB went from being first to last on the GP. SA always used to be first and now its in the middle..I do not know how they are arranging them anymore!

herios

Medalist
JGP #2: September 8-12 - Brasov, Romania???

Now that is a surprise for me, I am born in Romania and when I left in 1994, there was no rink in that city, for sure. i will research it a bit , because I am curious how they were able to invest in such facility, when worldwide rinks are actually closing, in a country with no tradition in winter sports, especially hockey and skating.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
JGP #2: September 8-12 - Brasov, Romania???

Now that is a surprise for me, I am born in Romania and when I left in 1994, there was no rink in that city, for sure. i will research it a bit , because I am curious how they were able to invest in such facility, when worldwide rinks are actually closing, in a country with no tradition in winter sports, especially hockey and skating.

Oh no way, I'm Romanian too! But yeah, figure skating is not popular there, but gymnastics certainly is! They have the prettiest gymnasts at the Olympics, they don't look like men :)

SerpentineSteps

On the Ice

JGP dates & locations:

I feel like it would be useful to list your source. Not only for credibility, but also for future reference.

JGP dates & locations:

The Junior Grand Prix is total EUROPE, except for FinaL.
The Senior Grand Prix, I would think is now an annual rotating venue of 6 supers.

What would be nice to know is how the drawings go for slots after the autmatic fill ups are done.
Also how long can a TBA be listed before a substitute can be appointed?

oleada

Record Breaker
Joe, I didn't know Japan was in Europe ;)

It's a shame that there is no JGP in the Americas, but I'd assume that none of the federations were willing to host one.

pista04

On the Ice
I am not a fan of this continually shifting GP order...I still miss opening with Skate America and Canada, TEB being right in the middle, and NHK at the end. I started getting used to Skate America and Canada at the end, with TEB first, but...Idk if I like this shfting order at all...

enlight78

Medalist
I really like the fact that they shift around the order every year; give so that each host take turns being too close to the GPF

The SGP seems to be
Asia
North America
Asia
North America
Asia(russia might as well be)
Europe
Asia

Last edited:
Joe, I didn't know Japan was in Europe ;)

It's a shame that there is no JGP in the Americas, but I'd assume that none of the federations were willing to host one.
:laugh: Karuizawa is in Japan. The old mind doesnt work all the time. :rolleye:

I guess it's the countries which put in a bid for it. South Africa had it last year and Mexico has had it before.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
JGP dates & locations:

According to ISU Communication No. 1596, the 4 pairs events will be held in Graz, Sheffield, Dresden and Ostrava.

North America usually rotates a JGP among the U.S. (Lake Placid this season & in 2007), Mexico (2008 & 2006) and Canada, but Canada hasn't hosted a JGP since Montreal in 2005.

Saundy

On the Ice
I am not a fan of this continually shifting GP order...I still miss opening with Skate America and Canada, TEB being right in the middle, and NHK at the end. I started getting used to Skate America and Canada at the end, with TEB first, but...Idk if I like this shfting order at all...

Me either. Didn't they reverse the order this year? Now Skate Canada is back in 2nd spot and Skate America at the end...? Weird.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The worst thing about the GP order is that any skater who has to do two events back-to-back is going to have a problem.

WHen that happens, the GP organizers try to avoid sending skaters to two events back-to-back, but the end result is that the same group of skaters face once another at the same two events. That isn't very fair if that means two events are very easy, and another two events are really difficult.

mishieru07

On the Ice
WHen that happens, the GP organizers try to avoid sending skaters to two events back-to-back, but the end result is that the same group of skaters face once another at the same two events. That isn't very fair if that means two events are very easy, and another two events are really difficult.

Not necessarily; there's seeding. The Worlds medallists will not meet until the GPF (if they qualify), same for skaters ranked 4-6. So that means at least 2 tough opponents, barring withdrawals. Whether they're all equally difficult to beat is another question. I assume challenging Lepisto is probably better than challenging YNK, same for V/M or D/W vs F/S.

That'll depend on who the organizers want I guess, and the order of draw for the feds.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Seeding is based on finish at Worlds. The seeds:

Takahashi, Chan, Joubert, Brezina, Abbott, Rippon - no retirements in this group
Asada, Kim, Lepisto, Ando, Phaneuf, Kostner - no retirements announced among the ladies
Pang/Tong, Savchenko/Szolkowy, Kavaguti/Smirnov, Mukhortova/Trankov, Zhang/Zhang, Dube/Davison - there are rumors that M/T are breaking up, but nothing confirmed as yet. If M/T do retire, then Langlois/Hay (highest Seasons Best score after M/T) or Caydee/Denney (7th place at Worlds) would become a seed.
Virtue/Moir, Davis/White, Faiella/Scali, Pechalat/Bourzat, Kerr/Kerr, Zaretskys - no retirements here