Asada & Ten leave coaches | Golden Skate

Asada & Ten leave coaches

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
According to the blog of Elena Vaitsekhovskaya (http://blog.sport-express.ru/users/vellena/post123205927), Mao Asada has broken association with Tarasova (not that surprising), and Denis Ten with Vorodezova. The latter is rather surprising; according to Vaitsekhovskaya, Vodorezova has been burnt back when she was coaching Gedevanishvili by the skater's mom making increasingly unreasonable demands, and this time around fired Ten as it was beginning to follow the same pattern.

The same information has now appeared on Artur Werner's "conference" (http://www.wer-art.com/conf/) - he places the blame with one Irina Tagayeva, Ten's choreographer and a former prima ballerina who's danced alongside Plisetskaya - though he doesn't elaborate on how she's contributed to the split.

Last edited:

zizi31

Rinkside
I thought Mao was keeping Tarasova as a "team leader"? If not, that's good - I don't think it's a good idea to have a team leader whom you hardly ever see. Besides, their styles didn't mesh that well.

Bennett

Record Breaker
According to the blog of Elena Vaitsekhovskaya (http://blog.sport-express.ru/users/vellena/post123205927), Mao Asada has broken association with Tarasova (not that surprising), and Denis Ten with Vorodezova. The latter is rather surprising; according to Vaitsekhovskaya, Vodorezova has been burnt back when she was coaching Gedevanishvili by the skater's mom making increasingly unreasonable demands, and this time around fired Ten as it was beginning to follow the same pattern.

The same information has now appeared on Artur Werner's "conference" (http://www.wer-art.com/conf/) - he places the blame with one Irina Tagayeva, Ten's choreographer and a former prima ballerina who's danced alongside Plisetskaya - though he doesn't elaborate on how she's contributed to the split.

I also thought that Mao will keep TAT as a choreographer because the Asada side has been grateful for TAT's contribution to Asada's artistic growth and because they were also looking at Sochi. Keeping TAT does not hurt in politics then.

But personally, I am glad if she completely breaks off from TAT. Their long-distance relationship did not seem working and Lori was a better match with Mao's strengths. TAT is also not strong at the COP.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
TAT is also not strong at the COP.
I don't think I agree. TAT did choreograph for Lysacek, and his programs are CoP masterpieces. Also, back when she coached Cohen, she was the first to really milk CoP for all it's worth.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I don't think I agree. TAT did choreograph for Lysacek, and his programs are CoP masterpieces. Also, back when she coached Cohen, she was the first to really milk CoP for all it's worth.

Good to hear. Yet, I read that Shizuka left her for her weakness in the COP (as perceived by Shizuka). I also think that Mao's step sequences are not adding many points.

miki88

Medalist
I have been hearing many contradictory reports about Mao's coaching situation so far. Some say TAT's will stay as choreographer but others say she will go for good. Dunno which one to believe.

gio

Medalist
Good to hear. Yet, I read that Shizuka left her for her weakness in the COP (as perceived by Shizuka). I also think that Mao's step sequences are not adding many points.

I don't think Tarasova is to blame. Some choreographers and coaches work for a skater and others do not. It happens also that they are more successfull for a period of time. Morozov in 2006-2007 was winning with Shizuka and Miki. Now the situation is different. Tarasova worked for Lysacek, less for Mao.

aurora100

Final Flight

Thank God. Halleluja!

gmyers

Record Breaker
Ten has so much talent but something is not going right. I just thought maybe it was competing too much!

I thought Lysacek went to Moscow for two weeks for the choreography only. She may have coached him while he was there but in such a short period of time, she didn't have the time to do much. The music was fine for Evin though, Bolero for the SP, and Gershwin for LP which he did well, but I think it was Frank's coaching and his psychological input that turned Evin into a consistent skater.

Mao's 3A is in fine shape, and TT kept it so. However, I think there was some kind of loneliness there in Moscow with the lack of compatriats and skating friends. Yuna,on the other hand, had a coach who was ambitious for himself as he was for her plus their is a large Korean community in Vancouver.

I don't know if TEN is the son of a diplomat who was posted to Kazakistan or if he were born there. He is a very promising skater and I can't imagine any reason for his leaving Vorozadova. To whom does he go? He would have to leave Kazakkistan wouldn't he?

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I don't know if TEN is the son of a diplomat who was posted to Kazakistan or if he were born there. He is a very promising skater and I can't imagine any reason for his leaving Vorozadova. To whom does he go? He would have to leave Kazakkistan wouldn't he?
Well, accoring to Vaitsekhovskaya, Vodorezova fired him, not the other way around. As I've said, Vaitsekhovskaya seems to put the blame with Ten's mother, while Werner mentions the choreographer.

Ten was born in Kz - and he's already been training in Moscow for years.

Koreans and Kazakhstan have a tragic history. From the late 19th century on, there have been Korean communities throughout Russian far east and Siberia. In the late 30's, Stalin has forcefully moved all of them to Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan on the pretext that they could be Japanese spies (before anyone draws a parallel with American internment camps during WWII let me point out that about half of the 100,000 Koreans who were moved dies on the way of cold, desease and starvation; many other ethnic minorities have been moved to Kazakhstan around the same time). Following those tragic events, Koreans in USSR really did become a community (they really weren't one before) despite the fact that they weren't permitted to speak Korean and have thus lost their language.

Another interesting fact about Ten - his great great grandfather was a famous general during Korean Empire.

Further reading: Ten - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denis_Ten; Korean communities of Russia/ Kazakhstan - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koryo-saram

aurora100

Final Flight
Well, accoring to Vaitsekhovskaya, Vodorezova fired him, not the other way around. As I've said, Vaitsekhovskaya seems to put the blame with Ten's mother, while Werner mentions the choreographer.

Ten was born in Kz - and he's already been training in Moscow for years.

Koreans and Kazakhstan have a tragic history. From the late 19th century on, there have been Korean communities throughout Russian far east and Siberia. In the late 30's, Stalin has forcefully moved all of them to Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan on the pretext that they could be Japanese spies (before anyone draws a parallel with American internment camps during WWII let me point out that about half of the 100,000 Koreans who were moved dies on the way of cold, desease and starvation; many other ethnic minorities have been moved to Kazakhstan around the same time). Following those tragic events, Koreans in USSR really did become a community (they really weren't one before) despite the fact that they weren't permitted to speak Korean and have thus lost their language.

Another interesting fact about Ten - his great great grandfather was a famous general during Korean Empire.

Further reading: Ten - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denis_Ten; Korean communities of Russia/ Kazakhstan - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koryo-saram

Thanks for that very informative posting. I'm thinking if Ten ever wanted to skate for Korea (which is highly unlikely since he really doesn't have connection to the country), Korea would welcome him. Many "old" countries consider their expats their own no matter how many years they've been away. Italy for example allowed oversees Italians to vote for Italian parliament. There is a similar move a foot in Korea too I believe. Just as an example.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Italy for example allowed oversees Italians to vote for Italian parliament.
I'm curious how that works. I'm assuming people first have to get their citizenship? In Israel, any Jew who moves there automatically gains citizenship.

prettykeys

Medalist
Thank you for your two recent news threads, Ptichka, and for educating me about koryo-saram. All rather sad, but still appreciated.

RumbleFish

Rinkside
I don't think Tarasova is to blame. Some choreographers and coaches work for a skater and others do not. It happens also that they are more successfull for a period of time. Morozov in 2006-2007 was winning with Shizuka and Miki. Now the situation is different. Tarasova worked for Lysacek, less for Mao.

ITA.
I wonder where people get their myth about TAT not being a good CoP coach/choreographer.
I saw a translated version of her TV commentary of 08 Cup of China, and she was constantly pointing out skaters achieving their levels on spins and footwork sequences.
I was surprised since I expected her to talk more about choreography and performance rather than technicalities.

RumbleFish

Rinkside

Boy, those skating mummys must get on coach's nerves.
For D10, didn't Scott and Sandra mention that he recently had a massive growth spurt that kept him off balance?

Toby1Dawg

Rinkside

The programs that TAT did for Lysacek were god awful. He had to take them back to Nichol to rework so he could score more points. If you go back to that season, there were totally different programs at the end of the season that they were in the end of the season. He even changed from that huge cross he was wearing at the beginning of the season.