A summary of Plushenko's whining - Russian article | Golden Skate

A summary of Plushenko's whining - Russian article

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Article by Artur Werner summing up Plushenko's whining; http://ptichkafs.livejournal.com/47914.html. Translation by Ptichka.

Plush complaints from an un-lush personality​

I must admit being shocked by words and behavior of the Vancouver Olympics silver medalist, as since 1990’s I've considered him one of the most outstanding skaters in the world, and have tried to support him in my articles the best I could. I was also among the first in the summer of 2009 to believe in his return.

However, over the many years of observing European, World, and Olympic competitions, I've never encountered an athlete planning to attend World championships with such a negative image. I'm sure you've deduced by now that I'm talking of Evgeny Plushenko, whose tongue, wholly disengaged from the thinking apparatus, has produced so many lies, that even the most faithful fans of this extraordinary skater have met their idol's words and moves with incredulity and hurt. In this, Plushenko has finally surpassed his main rival Alexei Yagudin, though only in the negative sense. So, what happened to this clearly talented skater? When has he been eaten alive by the rust of arrogance, lies, greed, and extortion?

If we look carefully at the recent past, we see that in the Yagudin vs. Plushenko battle, the former always won. Alexei Mishin pretty much drove Yagudin from his group, placing the main bet on Plushenko; this has deprived him of the well earned coaching glory in Salt Lake City. Evgeny only became the Olympic champion four years after Yagudin's exit. While Plushenko played the sexual bomber, it was to Yagudin that countless beauties from the world of sport and show business prescribed bed rest in their boudoirs. Both published their memoires. Yagudin presented a victorious novella "Straight Through"; Plushenko's was a hurt Siberian's whining called "Other Show". We can deduce from both books that Plushenko hasn't lowered himself to any friendships over his work in Alexei Mishin's group. Perhaps his friends have to match his intellect - Dima Bilan, Nikolai Valuev...

Likewise, Evgeny lost to Alexei completely in a dual over one famous skater; she clearly made the right choice. When TV shows ask for a host, it's always the lively and always smiling Yagudin, rather than the sour Plushenko. The lady Evgeny finally won (or, rather, the one he was won by), would be called non-moving merchandise by a crude journalist, and low liquidity by a warehouse worker. Then again, this lady of the secondary heart has a venereology diploma she got somewhere on Altai, which could ultimately be helpful.

According to those who've known Zhenya as a child, he was always a very introverted child; he was also highly arrogant, always needing to prove to everyone that he's the best skater in the world. That's why the young athlete never befriended anyone in Mikhail Makoveev's school, and if it weren't for the coach's belief in the young man's future, he'd have fired Plushenko in the first year of their work in Volgograd. When clouds on officialdom's intrigues began to thicken over the Volgograd school and the head of Mikhail Khrisantievich himself in 1993, Makoveev took Evgeny first to the "Chrystal Skate" in Pervouralsk to show to his friend Igor Ksenofontov. There, Plushenko demonstrated his "Biellman" and most triple jumps. Ksenofontov declared the kid "unique", and having declined to take him on due to his problems with Valentine Piseev, recommended Mikhail bring Plushenko to Leningrad to show to Alexei Mishin. This is where he's been ever since, having begun his life and schooling in the Northern capital on Mishin's dime.

Evgeny Plushenko's subsequent biography is well known and doesn't need further retelling. In 2006, Evgeny's dream came true as he became Turin Olympic champion. As his neck sagged under the weight of medals, his weak head couldn't handle the weight of all the laurel wreaths, and Plushenko first showed signed of rotting.

According to my Saint Petersburg colleague, the famous sports journalist Boris Khodorovsky, who always checks his facts carefully,

"Following his triumph four years ago, the Peter skater dismayed many of his fans by using his visit with Russian President Vladimir Putin to ask for an apartment. Supposedly, Olympic 2006 champion had nowhere to put his head down in his native Saint Petersburg. Governor Valentina Matvienko was rather surprised at the order from the nation's head to solve the housing problem of the homeless Plushenko. In line with the city's laws, Plushenko was already sold an apartment at a lower rate, but heck, if we need to, we'll give him another one. And they did."

Besides that, the Turin hero received two or three cars - from Russian president V.V. Putin, from Saint Petersburg governor Valentina Matvienko, and from his sponsors.

Following Turin, Plushenko made big money skating in shows. According to the insiders, though, he never gave Mishin the cut he awed him for choreography. Around the same time, he (with the help of a manager pushed on him by his first wife Maria Yermak) signed two parallel contracts - one for Collins tour, and one for the Bestemianova/ Bobrin theater tour, which was called "Evgeny Plushenko presents - Bobrin theater, we're 20!". Plushenko toured Russia, producing a scandal with Collins.

The much respected Elena Vaitsehovskaya was nice enough to provide the details of her conversation with Vyacheslav Fetisov regarding Plushenko's comeback. Here are some quotes:

"Who do you feel about the state of figure skating today? In particular, what's your thoughts about Evgeny Plushenko's attempted comeback?"

"His coach Alexei Nikolayevich Mishin called me. He said Zhenya's ready to come back. I said I was happy to hear that. We're ready to do everything that's needed, including paying for the ice, equipment, competitions, training, medicine, and anything else he needs. Mishin shot back - 'No, you don't understand. Zhenya will lose a lot of money by resuming his eligible career'."

"What did you sat to that?"

"That it was outside my jurisdiction. We can't be hostages to this situation. If you're really ready to represent your country, attain high results, and gain new titles - you have to sacrifice something. Today, athletes get fairly high prize money; one can also find sponsors; but saying - 'I won't come back unless you pay me' is in my opinion wrong. Make your choice - you want to return to your want money."

The scrupulous and meticulous Elena Vaitsehovskaya has done some investigating, and has published in her blog the amount Alexei Mishin's group has received for the preparations for the 2010 Winter Olympic Games. It far exceeds the 900,000 rubles (~$30K) that Plushenko has mentioned in his conversation with Russian president Mr. Medvedev. Perhaps he was hoping such a high official won't lowed himself of checking the facts.

Getting back to Boris Khodorovsky's words,

"To be fair, he lost much of his money and real estate during his divorce from his first wife.

He seemed to take it all in stride, and following the Europeans in Tallinn talked about not needing anything, and being able to finance his own Olympic preparations thanks to the sponsors found by Yana Rudkovskaya, his second spouse and one of the premier business ladies of Russia.

However, Plushenko's tone changed dramatically after the Vancouver loss. At a visit with Russian president Dmitri Medvedev, he complained the Figure Skating Federation of Russian only gave his the miserly 900,000 rules to prepare for the Olympics. Then, according to "Russian News Agency", the Vancouver silver medalist said he planned to sell the Audi Q5 he got from the head of state to have the means to train for next season.

Anyone with even a rudimentary knowledge of the top Russian skaters' financing can't help being disgusted by such lies.

According to the Russian Figure Skating Federation president Valentine Piseev, prior to the season's start, the Turin Olympic champion who's been promising to return all year and getting a stipend from the Russian Olympians help fund, has refused to sign a contract with the federation. Without such contract, it's simply against the law to provide financial help. Nevertheless, the federation tried to do all it could for Plushenko. Several times, it sent from Moscow to Saint Petersburg a doctor Evgeny needed; it also paid for training camps, and gave something extra for coach and choreographer. Sure, it didn't amount to what the skater and his entourage wanted, but the sums were quite large.

Throughout, Plushenko had the means to pay for everything through his personal sponsor. Against all rules, he showed up to official competitions not in the Russian team uniform, but in his own with the appropriate logo. You can remember what conflicts that has led to in biathlon a few years back. Plushenko got away with everything.

Likewise, federation leadership closed its eyes to the fact that for several years Plushenko kept his eligibility, yet failed to give over 10% of his show income to the federation. Theoretically, such rule breaking could have put him in the professional category, automatically barring his way to the Olympics. By the way, Plushenko was the only athlete who was accompanied to the Games officially not only by his coach but also by the choreographer and even his wife, who managed to get the accreditation of which there was such a shortage.

Most likely, the Saint Petersburg Legislative Assembly deputy Evgeny Plushenko failed to tell the Russian President how much time he's actually spent at his job in the city parliament or elaborate on the ethics of still receiving salary as such. Forget the salary! Peter parliamentarians have the privilege of transferring money from deputy fund (each year this sum far exceeds that which Plushenko cited as what he's received to prepare for the Olympics) as the people's servants see fit."

I apologize for such extensive quotes that my colleagues have allowed me, but after their research, it didn't make sense for me to go into it as well.

In short, it's hard to tell who gave this superb skater the idea of his complete invincibility, but he has tried the patience of sports journalists of Russia and beyond well beyond the point of endurance. Therefore, his decision to skip the Turin world championships where Evgeny could have become the 4-time World champion and bring himself and his country one more gold medal was probably not dictated by injury. More likely, our hero, who's been sarcastically dubbed by some Russian media as the "current husband of the ex-wife of the brother of Moscow's mayor", chose not to come face to face with the international media representatives at the press conference where there is nowhere to run, where you can't tell anyone to go to hell, and where you have no backs to hide behind. Or, to put it more bluntly, Plushenko has weaseled out.

It's a pity. There's a risk that his future fate will follow a very different script. Evgeny has gone to far in his own prolonged deification; he's done away with all propriety, and he has a long way to go to win back hearts and minds and to get back to the world where he was loved and respected. Let God give him strength and conscience for that.

Wow, that was written with a lot of disappointment anger. Not his usual tongue-in-cheek amusing essays.

it seems Plush turned against Mischin after 2006 and demanded that Mischin train him to get him back in shape for2010. Not nice, if that is true

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
OUCH. Interesting and very negative article about Plushenko.
Thanks for the translation Ptichka.

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
Wow. Maybe I should stop reading articles about Evgeni. Every time I read one, I lose more respect for him.

Ptichka, I'm always so happy to see a translated piece from you. You really manage to convey the emotion under the words, and your turns of phrase show the richness of the article's original language.

But wow, I was surprised to realize that an article so critical of Plushenko would be written in Russia. After the men's championship, all the talk seemed to be that North Americans were bashing Plushenko, while Europe supported him. This piece hints at a much more complex situation.

I've always respected Plushenko as a hardworking, driven, and talented skater, though like so many others here, I'd choose Yagudin over Plushenko for both wonderful skating and personal charm. It must be difficult to be the guy who thinks he's God's gift to skating, only to find that he's actually standing next to the guy who's God's gift to skating.

Wicked

Final Flight
It must be difficult to be the guy who thinks he's God's gift to skating, only to find that he's actually standing next to the guy who's God's gift to skating.

LOL! But so accurate.

Ptichka, thanks for the translation. It is so hard for me to enjoy anything about Plush's skating and the more I read about him as a person, the harder it gets.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I find it hard to believe that anyone who liked that Lysacek won would actually call him some kind of gods gift to figure skating? Really? him?

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
But wow, I was surprised to realize that an article so critical of Plushenko would be written in Russia. After the men's championship, all the talk seemed to be that North Americans were bashing Plushenko, while Europe supported him. This piece hints at a much more complex situation.
Well, just to get the record straight - Werner is not a Russian journalist per se. He defected from Russia to Israel back in the 70's, and has been working in Germany for more than a decade. However, he has maintained ties to the Russian figure skating world, and often has great insite into it. Also, Vaitsekhovskaya, a very independent and certainly Russian journalist has done some digging into Plush finances and has published it in her blog. So the anger among Russians is certainly there as well.
Wow, that was written with a lot of disappointment anger. Not his usual tongue-in-cheek amusing essays.
You're right. Werner can be nasty to just about anyone (hey, he's even been a bit nasty to Gordeeva at one point!) but I think he's had true respect for Plushenko. Mainly for his talent (he also said during Yagudin vs. Plushenko days that Plushenko was the more talented of the two) but also for his work ethic and such. I think he is truly disappointed now. The same, btw, goes for Vaitsekhovskaya - she was sooooo proud of Plushenko's comeback, her pride in him wasn't diminished by the color of his medal except in that she wondered why he didn't make his program more CoP-friendly in the first place, but is just disgusted with him today.
I've always respected Plushenko as a hardworking, driven, and talented skater, though like so many others here, I'd choose Yagudin over Plushenko for both wonderful skating and personal charm. It must be difficult to be the guy who thinks he's God's gift to skating, only to find that he's actually standing next to the guy who's God's gift to skating.
I honestly think they were both G-d's gift to figure skating. And Plushenko should be admired for his great contributions to the sport. Except he's been making it kind of difficult of late.

Last edited:
Ptichka, Plushenko aside, that is a masterful translation. As Olympia mentions you perfectly (as far as I can tell, not speaking Russian) captured both the flavor and turn of phrase on the original, while rendering the English in lively idiom. Five stars! :)

That's pretty venomous. The writer (whom I've never heard of till now) lost me when he insulted Plushenko's wife. I stopped reading there. And I'm not a Plushenko fan.

jennylovskt

Medalist
Ptichka, thank you so much for the translation! Wow!

All these bitterness were triggered by Plushenko's quitting the World. Otherwise, I believe they would have continued to tolerate him for whatever being listed in the article. Are they ready to dump him and seeing him as no use any more?

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
All these bitterness were triggered by Plushenko's quitting the World. Otherwise, I believe they would have continued to tolerate him for whatever being listed in the article. Are they ready to dump him and seeing him as no use any more?
Not true. Besides, as I've said, Werner does not live in Russia and does not care about Russian medal count. What's interesting about this article is that it's a truly unique case of Werner, who hates Russian bureaucrats in general and Piseev in particular (the details of Werner/ Piseev feud are a topic for another discussion) takes their side over the athlete's. Likewise, when Vaitsekhovskaya expressed her disgust with Plush. in her blog, she mentioned that she'd never take Piseev's word for anything, and has therefore checked all the figures herself before posting anything.

The writer (whom I've never heard of till now) lost me when he insulted Plushenko's wife.
Well, it's been noted (even well before the Olympics) that Rudkovskaya really seems to have been running Plushenko's life since their marriage. She appears to chose his image, where and when he skates, etc. It also somewhat shocked the journalists when following one of the major events this season (Nationals or Euros, I don't recall), Evgeny publicly thanked his wife but not his coach. Also, the question of accreditation at the Olympics was touchy to say the least - Khokhlova & Novitski only got their coach "in", not their choreographer, yet Plushenko got even his wife to be accredited.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Thanx for translation. :)

His article is reproduction of a gazeta.ru article . He gathered the same points gazeta wrote few days ago (the day he withdrew of course, not before). And some are old news.
I ve never heard the conditions of the first rink by the way. Unfortunately first coach of Plushenko is dead now to say how things were in the rink and if he wanted to fire him before he was eleven. I ve read many of his boigraphies, including the amazing one you have written and I ve never heard these stuff. And he is close friend with Anton by the way. Some things I do now.

From where comes the outcome that Mishin was forced to train him in 2010?
Plushenko has thanked Mishin a gaziillion times in his life, he forgot to thank him in Euros 2010 in the kiss and cry interview where he thanked wife, fans, etc... Also in Euros every other person had accreditation, not just journalists, not professionals photographers only, they were giving it like oranges, you think Plushenko's wife couldnt?

Can I ask some stuff since you know more things about Russia?? Sometimes his boards are more informed that the journalist.
Is it true the appartment has not be given to Plushenko yet since 2006, it was in courts as shared property with his ex wife and it stills stays that way?

Didnt Mr Pisseev himself declared before Olympics that his wife got accreditation from Sochi committe and not the federation as she was ambassador for Sochi? He was very convicing that wife was not accredited by federation. I can find the link with some search. It was a big discussion about it in fsu.

And wasnt a big fuss last year about what will happen with Plushenko's deputy place since he started training and wouldnt have time, and it was decided he wont appear there, they released him from his duties and he will retire the place now?

Has Plushenko talked to Medvedev only for his income? I ve seen the whole speech and he explains that if he can raise the federation issues and be heard, there are youngsters behind him who are not. And he explained what he meant by the car, that they need support before and not after a medal.

I ve read many articles of Verner in the past and Mrs Vaitsekhovskaya also . I met him in Wolfsburg last year, he had come to check Plushenko's condition in the show. The articles really changed after Wolfsburg to much better but his previous one were as bitter as this. Mrs Vaitsekhovskaya is the one who has written a book about the duel Yagudin-Plushenko? Hmmm...Why she is disgust now after beeing so proud. All the stuff she must be disgust are not new. Things that happen from 2006-to now are well known controversies in the media, the only new thing is the car Plushenko received, cause her search about financial stuff had been much earlier. Do you also remember her articles before it was obvious that Plushenko was serious about his comeback? Cause I do.
Verner goes from high to low in intervals concerning his support for Plushenko. And it seems he did care who got the Olympics medal by the way.
http://www.livesport.ru/column/2010/02/19/nestrelyaite/

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
That's pretty venomous. The writer (whom I've never heard of till now) lost me when he insulted Plushenko's wife. I stopped reading there. And I'm not a Plushenko fan.
ITA. The tone of the article made me sick and I just could not read it through. I did not want to. There was something poisoning in his tone. I believe that that kind of things often talks more about the writer than the one who is described.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Thanks for the article translation! I was a bit surprised about the tone, although the writer is not unknown to me, LOL. I think that is the Russian way to handle matters, their interviews and articles seem to say matters really direct.

Plushenko´s statements in Vancouver after the sp and the freeskate were rather surprising to me. I did not expect that kind of behaviour from him. Earlier I always thought Yagudin was the unpleasant one. In the above article I think this is a good description: "Evgeny Plushenko, whose tongue, wholly disengaged from the thinking apparatus"...

Last edited: