Dai may try a quad flip at World | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Dai may try a quad flip at World

breeze

Rinkside
Though looks similar, I disagree that what Dai tries to do is same as what Mao did. Mao stuck with 3A because she had no choice in order to beat Yuna. She was not going to do it with flutz, odd flip, loop, and toe loop. Her 3-3 was subject to downgrade. Therefore, 3A was a "practical" choice for Mao if she wanted to win the gold.

For Dai, he can win the worlds without a quad right now. But, he plans to do it anyway (which also differentiates him from Plushenko who had no choice but landing quads to win the gold).

Maybe, it is because he wants to prove something to himself or to his people or a bit of both. To me, it seems he is trying to something meaningful in the way he sees it meaningful.

I guess you're right. I wasn't really trying to compare him with Asada or Plushenko. I didn't intend to sound mean to any of the skaters including Takahashi, so sorry if I offended any fans. It is just that I couldn't agree with him taking highly risky strategy when it can actually decrease his chance of winning as well as hurt the integrity of his performance. He is a skater who more than deserves to be a world champion, and I'd love to see him become one. But if his goal is to achieve something rather than (or even better, in addition to) just winning, I should respect that. I know his program will be enjoyable with or without the quad. I just wish him the best of luck.

bibi24

Final Flight
Looks like 4F is more in the works for next season.... to get his power back perhaps? (for either quad)
http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/flash/KFullFlash20100323111.html

There were reports of Dai burning out after Olympics and couldn't concentrate on practice. Maybe the 4F was just something fun to keep him going. He looks REALLY RELAXED this month.

He is a skater who more than deserves to be a world champion, and I'd love to see him become one. But if his goal is to achieve something rather than (or even better, in addition to) just winning, I should respect that. I know his program will be enjoyable with or without the quad. I just wish him the best of luck.

http://daisuke-takahashi.megabb.com...portiva-vancouver-recap-mar2010-t727.htm#7348
"But for me there is a missing medal. I want to win a gold of world championships or olympic games. I want to be a champion. I want to be a world champion with the quad, a jump which only men can do and bring the progress to figure skating."

The quad is not going to disrupt the program that much even if it fails (fingers crossed), Dai has practice and prepared to not let it affect the rest of his program. Score-wise with no Lysacek, Dai has enough elements in the bonus and PCS to make up for some cushion :eek:

Dai has been good in the SP this season, even stronger than before his injury, so hopefully unlike 2007 in Tokyo, he will put himself in contention once again!

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
Though looks similar, I disagree that what Dai tries to do is same as what Mao did. Mao stuck with 3A because she had no choice in order to beat Yuna. She was not going to do it with flutz, odd flip, loop, and toe loop. Her 3-3 was subject to downgrade. Therefore, 3A was a "practical" choice for Mao if she wanted to win the gold.

For Dai, he can win the worlds without a quad right now. But, he plans to do it anyway (which also differentiates him from Plushenko who had no choice but landing quads to win the gold).

Maybe, it is because he wants to prove something to himself or to his people or a bit of both. To me, it seems he is trying to something meaningful in the way he sees it meaningful.

It would have been so much more practical for Mao to really focus on correcting 3F-3T and 3F-3Lo and use just one 3A, which would have made her far more competitive. She already had such jumping layout back in 2007-2008. Her lutz was getting there and, with more focus, she could have used it in comp this season, too.

I would not think that 3F-3L and 3F-3T are more difficult jumps for Mao than 3A. She has landed 3-3s far more consistently than her 3A. The problem is that her 3-3s are recently prone to DG, but her 3A has been prone to DG just as much. 3-3 garners more points than 3A-2T.

So I'd say three 3As were a lot less a "practical" strategy than working on her 3-3s and lutz plus one 3A. But she has such a strong love for 3A and she also says that she wants to progress and have new challenge every year.

The CoP has told her hard that her strategies are not practical. But I think that Mao would not feel happy to be a World Champ without at least attempting the 3A just as much as Dai would not be without at least attempting a quad. What makes Mao's 3A more practical than Dai's quad this season seems that the former has better consistency than the latter.

As for Dai, he says that his quad attempt is meant to be practice for the next season.
In the same interview, he also does say that he aims to win at this comp as long as he participates.

But if he does not feel happy to be the World Champ without a quad as cited by others, I do not think that he is ready because he has not recovered the quad yet.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
It would have been so much more practical for Mao to really focus on correcting 3F-3T and 3F-3Lo and use just one 3A, which would have made her far more competitive. She already had such jumping layout back in 2007-2008. Her lutz was getting there and, with more focus, she could have used it in comp this season, too.

Love that layout! I hope that's what she's bringing back next year.

As for Dai, he says that his quad attempt is meant to be practice for the next season.
In the same interview, he also does say that he aims to win at this comp as long as he participates.

Can't wait to see it next year. 2010-2011 already promises so many goodies.

key65man

Rinkside

I would not think that 3F-3L and 3F-3T are more difficult jumps for Mao than 3A. She has landed 3-3s far more consistently than her 3A. The problem is that her 3-3s are recently prone to DG, but her 3A has been prone to DG just as much. 3-3 garners more points than 3A-2T.

So I'd say three 3As were a lot less a "practical" strategy than working on her 3-3s and lutz plus one 3A. But she has such a strong love for 3A and she also says that she wants to progress and have new challenge every year.

The CoP has told her hard that her strategies are not practical. But I think that Mao would not feel happy to be a World Champ without at least attempting the 3A just as much as Dai would not be without at least attempting a quad. What makes Mao's 3A more practical than Dai's quad this season seems that the former has better consistency than the latter.

But if he does not feel happy to be the World Champ without a quad as cited by others, I do not think that he is ready because he has not recovered the quad yet.

Mao would have the max score potential with 3A's instead of 3F-3 and 3F. What about the implication of the Zayak Rule in terms of max scoring potential when Mao does 3-3 instead of 3A? Hence, 3A makes her program most competitive with Yuna's.

As for 3-3, why has she not incorporated 3-3's if she feels fine about them instead of 3-2 or despite the CoP?

If she had blown both 3A's in the LP, she would not have even made the podium. You seem to believe that Mao would have gone for 3A(s) even if she could win the gold without it or despite the possibility of losng the gold or not making the podium when blowing it (them). Maybe so.

I don't condemn people for trying their best to win the gold. Nor would I for not rising above just winning.

Last edited:

key65man

Rinkside
I guess you're right. I wasn't really trying to compare him with Asada or Plushenko. I didn't intend to sound mean to any of the skaters including Takahashi, so sorry if I offended any fans. It is just that I couldn't agree with him taking highly risky strategy when it can actually decrease his chance of winning as well as hurt the integrity of his performance. He is a skater who more than deserves to be a world champion, and I'd love to see him become one. But if his goal is to achieve something rather than (or even better, in addition to) just winning, I should respect that. I know his program will be enjoyable with or without the quad. I just wish him the best of luck.

Please, not to take my remark as a criticism. Just my thoughts and opinion, probably wrong and irrelevant anyways.

I am not Takahashi, so you don't even have to apologize to me. :)

miki88

Medalist
I hope Dai doesn't go for the quad in the LP. The gold is within his grasp~~~~~, don't want him to lose it because of the quad. He can amaze us with his quad next season, but I want him to win worlds this time.

breeze

Rinkside
Please, not to take my remark as a criticism. Just my thoughts and opinion, probably wrong and irrelevant anyways.

I am not Takahashi, so you don't even have to apologize to me. :)

Oh, I wasn't feeling that you were criticizing my post, but your reply made me realize that what I mentioned in my original post could be a topic for substantial debate, and I didn't really think about it thoroughly. So I was trying to prevent any misunderstandings, not just responding to your post. But thanks for your kind reply. :)

After watching the short program, I found one more thing that I hope Takahashi would be working on during the off season in addition to the 4F - improving the take off edge on his Lutz. I don't think it's a real flutz, thus 'improving' and not 'correcting'. Though not his real competition at this point, I think Adam Rippon has better technique on Lutz. (But then, Rippon Lutz was one of the most gorgeous I've seen, so it may not be fair to compare.. )

Ren

On the Ice
I can't remember where I read it, but I'm under the impression he'll try to continue at least until next year's Worlds (Tokyo). After that, I believe he'll probably retire. I don't think he's going after the gold in Sochi, but that he wants a World gold at least.

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
Because the scores are so close, I feel that Dai is giving it away to others if he goes for it because he'd be most likely not to land it. He has to wait for others to make at least two mistakes. If he does not try, one mistake by others would be enough. In either way, he has to be totally clean in other elements.

Re: Mao's three 3As, the media said that she was willing to go for "love suicide with 3As."

Ren

On the Ice
Dai skating last in the LP is a double-edged sword. On one hand, he will know whether or not to risk the quad based on earlier skaters' clean/imperfect programs. On the other hand, the nerves of going last might get to him... Does anybody know if he's started landing the quad with any success at practices?

gmyers

Record Breaker
I didn't see this thread-looks like Takahashi is being torn three ways. Quad flip -never done, quad toe loop-he falls, no quad -feels he didn't do his all

Bennett

Record Breaker
He might avoid it

I just watched his interview and he was like "I'd think until the last minute which quad I do or whether or not I should avoid it."

Personally, I hope he leaves it out. It may be "manly" that he believes it important that the male Champ has to have the quad, but I also think it "manly" when the skater accepts what they can or cannot do and do their best within their capacity. Let's face it, despite the media hype, you've heard only a handful landings reported since January. That's nowhere near you can include it in a program and even if he lands it at this particular comp, it seems more like a fluke. If he wants to lose the comp just because he does not have it, he should go for it though.

Last edited:

key65man

Rinkside
Re: Mao's three 3As, the media said that she was willing to go for "love suicide with 3As."

Is that why you believe Mao would have gone for 3A(s) while she was having such a difficult time with it, even if she could win the gold without it yet would not even make the podium by blowing it?

Bennett

Record Breaker
It's not just because the media puts it that way.
There are several things that I often hear in Mao's interviews:
1. She wants to be "perfect" or make "no mistakes."
2. She wants to improve and challenge herself every year.
3. How much she feels strongly about 3A.
4. She wants to win OGM.

Also, not only 3A has always been in her program, but also there has been some addition to that, such as steps going into 3A (06-07), two 3As in LP (08-09), and then 3A in SP (09-10).

When she was in a great slump earlier this season, ppl suggested that she should ditch the heavy programs and the three 3As plan. But she was like "If I give up, what I have worked for last season and earlier this season are going to be in vein." That's what Dai said around the Olympics, too: If he gives up the quad, what he had worked for throughout the season is going to be in vein.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Is that why you believe Mao would have gone for 3A(s) while she was having such a difficult time with it, even if she could win the gold without it yet would not even make the podium by blowing it?

She couldn't win the gold without it, she wasn't even close to winning the gold with THREE, and she wasn't having problems with it at the time of the Olympic games, all three were ratified so....
Mao with no 3lutz and no 3-3 has zero chance of beating Yuna barring some metldown from the Queen, she can't just do flip, loop, and toe and expect to win a medal of any color, and so she does the 3a, because she can and it will help her win a medal.

gsrossano

Final Flight
In practice this morning (Thursday) Takahashi tried both 4T and 4F. Neither was successful that I saw. 4T was closer than 4F. During his run through he put 3F as the opening element. Probably was supposed to be 4F but he aborted it.