Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 52

Thread: Dai may try a quad flip at World

  1. #16
    Custom Title Phoenix347's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    661
    Has anyone landed a quad flip in ISU competition before? That really would be something, wouldn't it? Good luck Takahashi, whatever you choose to do.

  2. #17
    The Future Mrs. Evan Lysacek #1Kerryfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Cleveland Heights, Ohio
    Posts
    594
    Didn't Johnny try a quad flip a few years ago?

  3. #18
    Dreaming and dancing Bennett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Watching the sunset
    Posts
    2,793
    Quote Originally Posted by #1Kerryfan View Post
    Didn't Johnny try a quad flip a few years ago?
    Don't know about that. But I reacall Oda tried quad lutz in official practice at Worlds some years ago.

  4. #19
    Custom Title Phoenix347's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    661
    According to wiki (if you believe in wiki):

    No skater has yet successfully landed a quadruple flip in competition.
    So it would be historic if Takahashi can land the quad flip! Go for it Taka!!

  5. #20
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,701
    I hope Dai will land the 4F and make history. He's too good to not be on the record book.

  6. #21
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by key65man View Post
    Though looks similar, I disagree that what Dai tries to do is same as what Mao did. Mao stuck with 3A because she had no choice in order to beat Yuna. She was not going to do it with flutz, odd flip, loop, and toe loop. Her 3-3 was subject to downgrade. Therefore, 3A was a "practical" choice for Mao if she wanted to win the gold.

    For Dai, he can win the worlds without a quad right now. But, he plans to do it anyway (which also differentiates him from Plushenko who had no choice but landing quads to win the gold).

    Maybe, it is because he wants to prove something to himself or to his people or a bit of both. To me, it seems he is trying to something meaningful in the way he sees it meaningful.
    I guess you're right. I wasn't really trying to compare him with Asada or Plushenko. I didn't intend to sound mean to any of the skaters including Takahashi, so sorry if I offended any fans. It is just that I couldn't agree with him taking highly risky strategy when it can actually decrease his chance of winning as well as hurt the integrity of his performance. He is a skater who more than deserves to be a world champion, and I'd love to see him become one. But if his goal is to achieve something rather than (or even better, in addition to) just winning, I should respect that. I know his program will be enjoyable with or without the quad. I just wish him the best of luck.

  7. #22
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    626
    Looks like 4F is more in the works for next season.... to get his power back perhaps? (for either quad)
    http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/fla...100323111.html

    There were reports of Dai burning out after Olympics and couldn't concentrate on practice. Maybe the 4F was just something fun to keep him going. He looks REALLY RELAXED this month.


    Quote Originally Posted by breeze View Post
    He is a skater who more than deserves to be a world champion, and I'd love to see him become one. But if his goal is to achieve something rather than (or even better, in addition to) just winning, I should respect that. I know his program will be enjoyable with or without the quad. I just wish him the best of luck.
    http://daisuke-takahashi.megabb.com/...-t727.htm#7348
    "But for me there is a missing medal. I want to win a gold of world championships or olympic games. I want to be a champion. I want to be a world champion with the quad, a jump which only men can do and bring the progress to figure skating."

    The quad is not going to disrupt the program that much even if it fails (fingers crossed), Dai has practice and prepared to not let it affect the rest of his program. Score-wise with no Lysacek, Dai has enough elements in the bonus and PCS to make up for some cushion :o

    Dai has been good in the SP this season, even stronger than before his injury, so hopefully unlike 2007 in Tokyo, he will put himself in contention once again!
    Last edited by bibi24; 03-23-2010 at 08:19 PM.

  8. #23
    Dreaming and dancing Bennett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Watching the sunset
    Posts
    2,793
    Quote Originally Posted by key65man View Post
    Though looks similar, I disagree that what Dai tries to do is same as what Mao did. Mao stuck with 3A because she had no choice in order to beat Yuna. She was not going to do it with flutz, odd flip, loop, and toe loop. Her 3-3 was subject to downgrade. Therefore, 3A was a "practical" choice for Mao if she wanted to win the gold.

    For Dai, he can win the worlds without a quad right now. But, he plans to do it anyway (which also differentiates him from Plushenko who had no choice but landing quads to win the gold).

    Maybe, it is because he wants to prove something to himself or to his people or a bit of both. To me, it seems he is trying to something meaningful in the way he sees it meaningful.
    It would have been so much more practical for Mao to really focus on correcting 3F-3T and 3F-3Lo and use just one 3A, which would have made her far more competitive. She already had such jumping layout back in 2007-2008. Her lutz was getting there and, with more focus, she could have used it in comp this season, too.

    I would not think that 3F-3L and 3F-3T are more difficult jumps for Mao than 3A. She has landed 3-3s far more consistently than her 3A. The problem is that her 3-3s are recently prone to DG, but her 3A has been prone to DG just as much. 3-3 garners more points than 3A-2T.

    So I'd say three 3As were a lot less a "practical" strategy than working on her 3-3s and lutz plus one 3A. But she has such a strong love for 3A and she also says that she wants to progress and have new challenge every year.

    The CoP has told her hard that her strategies are not practical. But I think that Mao would not feel happy to be a World Champ without at least attempting the 3A just as much as Dai would not be without at least attempting a quad. What makes Mao's 3A more practical than Dai's quad this season seems that the former has better consistency than the latter.

    As for Dai, he says that his quad attempt is meant to be practice for the next season.
    http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/fla...100323111.html
    In the same interview, he also does say that he aims to win at this comp as long as he participates.

    But if he does not feel happy to be the World Champ without a quad as cited by others, I do not think that he is ready because he has not recovered the quad yet.

  9. #24
    Waiting for on-ice perfection.
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    615
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    It would have been so much more practical for Mao to really focus on correcting 3F-3T and 3F-3Lo and use just one 3A, which would have made her far more competitive. She already had such jumping layout back in 2007-2008. Her lutz was getting there and, with more focus, she could have used it in comp this season, too.
    Love that layout! I hope that's what she's bringing back next year.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    As for Dai, he says that his quad attempt is meant to be practice for the next season.
    http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/fla...100323111.html
    In the same interview, he also does say that he aims to win at this comp as long as he participates.
    Can't wait to see it next year. 2010-2011 already promises so many goodies.

  10. #25
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    It would have been so much more practical for Mao to really focus on correcting 3F-3T and 3F-3Lo and use just one 3A, which would have made her far more competitive. She already had such jumping layout back in 2007-2008. Her lutz was getting there and, with more focus, she could have used it in comp this season, too.

    I would not think that 3F-3L and 3F-3T are more difficult jumps for Mao than 3A. She has landed 3-3s far more consistently than her 3A. The problem is that her 3-3s are recently prone to DG, but her 3A has been prone to DG just as much. 3-3 garners more points than 3A-2T.

    So I'd say three 3As were a lot less a "practical" strategy than working on her 3-3s and lutz plus one 3A. But she has such a strong love for 3A and she also says that she wants to progress and have new challenge every year.

    The CoP has told her hard that her strategies are not practical. But I think that Mao would not feel happy to be a World Champ without at least attempting the 3A just as much as Dai would not be without at least attempting a quad. What makes Mao's 3A more practical than Dai's quad this season seems that the former has better consistency than the latter.

    As for Dai, he says that his quad attempt is meant to be practice for the next season.
    http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/fla...100323111.html
    In the same interview, he also does say that he aims to win at this comp as long as he participates.

    But if he does not feel happy to be the World Champ without a quad as cited by others, I do not think that he is ready because he has not recovered the quad yet.
    Mao would have the max score potential with 3A's instead of 3F-3 and 3F. What about the implication of the Zayak Rule in terms of max scoring potential when Mao does 3-3 instead of 3A? Hence, 3A makes her program most competitive with Yuna's.

    As for 3-3, why has she not incorporated 3-3's if she feels fine about them instead of 3-2 or despite the CoP?

    If she had blown both 3A's in the LP, she would not have even made the podium. You seem to believe that Mao would have gone for 3A(s) even if she could win the gold without it or despite the possibility of losng the gold or not making the podium when blowing it (them). Maybe so.

    I don't condemn people for trying their best to win the gold. Nor would I for not rising above just winning.
    Last edited by key65man; 03-24-2010 at 01:53 PM.

  11. #26
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by breeze View Post
    I guess you're right. I wasn't really trying to compare him with Asada or Plushenko. I didn't intend to sound mean to any of the skaters including Takahashi, so sorry if I offended any fans. It is just that I couldn't agree with him taking highly risky strategy when it can actually decrease his chance of winning as well as hurt the integrity of his performance. He is a skater who more than deserves to be a world champion, and I'd love to see him become one. But if his goal is to achieve something rather than (or even better, in addition to) just winning, I should respect that. I know his program will be enjoyable with or without the quad. I just wish him the best of luck.
    Please, not to take my remark as a criticism. Just my thoughts and opinion, probably wrong and irrelevant anyways.

    I am not Takahashi, so you don't even have to apologize to me.

  12. #27
    Mashimaro on Ice
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,419
    I hope Dai doesn't go for the quad in the LP. The gold is within his grasp~~~~~, don't want him to lose it because of the quad. He can amaze us with his quad next season, but I want him to win worlds this time.

  13. #28
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    604
    He talks about it here. Sort of in the middle.

    http://www.iceskatingintnl.com/archi...Conference.mp3

    Joubert also talks about the quad.

  14. #29
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by key65man View Post
    Please, not to take my remark as a criticism. Just my thoughts and opinion, probably wrong and irrelevant anyways.

    I am not Takahashi, so you don't even have to apologize to me.
    Oh, I wasn't feeling that you were criticizing my post, but your reply made me realize that what I mentioned in my original post could be a topic for substantial debate, and I didn't really think about it thoroughly. So I was trying to prevent any misunderstandings, not just responding to your post. But thanks for your kind reply.

    After watching the short program, I found one more thing that I hope Takahashi would be working on during the off season in addition to the 4F - improving the take off edge on his Lutz. I don't think it's a real flutz, thus 'improving' and not 'correcting'. Though not his real competition at this point, I think Adam Rippon has better technique on Lutz. (But then, Rippon Lutz was one of the most gorgeous I've seen, so it may not be fair to compare.. )

  15. #30
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    674
    Did Takahashi say this might be his last season???

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •