Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Volosozhar's new skating partner?

Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    With all this talk about Pairs, I find the Russian Pairs Team to be coached by Moskvina as the most successful. Does it matter if someone else is coaching?
    Joe, this is at least in part a chicken-and-egg thing - sure, Moskvina is a great coach but she has the pick of the litter when it comes to chosing her students. Take M&T - they did actually work with her, but she parted ways with them because she wasn't going to put up with their childish bickering (whatever else can be said of Vasiliev, himself Moskvina's student - while he didn't make M&T realtionship really right, he did force them to grow up some).

Under USSR, there were always two main schools of pair skating - Leningrad school, examplified by the elegance of the Protopopovs and later the artistry of Dmitriev; and Moscow school examplified by high technical content of Rodnina. While I always favored the former, it was great for the sport to have both schools in much the same way it benefits the sport to have it develop in many different countries. Unfortunately, Moscow school is almost completely gone, thogh Natalia Pavlova has now moved there (so Ilushechkina & Maisuradze train in Moscow with her), but I'm not sure she is strong enough to effect a true Renaisance there; then agani, Nina Mozer has had some good teams theer as well (Novik & Kuznetsov). Most pair skaters are in St. Petersburg, with a some resurgence in Perm school (Bazarova and Larionov hail from there).

Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    I really cannot see Volosozhar with Bryce Davison AT ALL. Maybe Smirnov. But I like him with Yuko. I don't want them to split up.

Tripping on the Podium
    In a hypothetical situation, I could totally see Volosozhar pairing up with Hao Zhang. This team would be awesome. He'd be like Morosov but with added skills!!

It would also never happen but still....

Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Voloshozar is not polished, not elegant. She's like Caydee Denney. Whoever she partners up with will suffer in term of PCS. Smirnov would be stupid to switch partner as they're going up and up in the judges' mind. They've been improving from year to year.
    Mukhortova and Trankov hit a plateau for the past 2 years. I don't see them going anywhere but down. Trankov, even with a switch, will not do any better than Trankov with Mukhortova. He's the weaker of the two. He can't suddenly become stronger by switching partner.

K/S can beat everyone with a clean program regardless of how others do. They have the PCS and the quad Salchow and Tamara Moskvina.
    M/T capitalize on others' mistakes.
    Tatiana V is not polished or elegant. And she is like Denny? Flattfan. Are you watching the same person I am? Are you sure that your not thinking of Tatiana's current partner. I seem to recall Scott Hamilton and Sandra Bezik saying quite different things about Tatiana in the short program at the Olympics. I'm recalling phrases like she is stunning. Just like tons of other comments about Tatiana V. Tatiana V and Aliona S are by far the best two female pairs skaters in the world.

As for Trankov, he absolutely is stronger than Maria. Maria is not a strong jumper. And Trankov is a very strong jumper who even lands 3/3s in practice. The fall in the Olympic short was a fluke by someone who never normally misses his side by side triples. He's also very balletic, artistic, and expressive. He's more expressive than Maria. Many feel he's the best males pair skater around.

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    Tatiana V is not polished or elegant. And she is like Denny? Flattfan. Are you watching the same person I am? Are you sure that your not thinking of Tatiana's current partner. I seem to recall Scott Hamilton and Sandra Bezik saying quite different things about Tatiana in the short program at the Olympics. I'm recalling phrases like she is stunning. Just like tons of other comments about Tatiana V. Tatiana V and Aliona S are by far the best two female pairs skaters in the world.

As for Trankov, he absolutely is stronger than Maria. Maria is not a strong jumper. And Trankov is a very strong jumper who even lands 3/3s in practice. The fall in the Olympic short was a fluke by someone who never normally misses his side by side triples. He's also very balletic, artistic, and expressive. He's more expressive than Maria. Many feel he's the best males pair skater around.
    I'm really torn about the possibility of a V/T matchup because I love Masha & Max together (they're both so gorgeous), but also am intrigued over the idea of Tat & Max together. I just wish Masha was more consistent on the jumps because I so badly wish to see she and Max succeed more together! I'd a pairs world where Aliona & Robin and Masha & Max dominated every team out there and won all the titles, being #1 and #2 in the world!

Custom Title
    I am a big fan of M/T, I think in the last 3/4 yrs all there short programmes have been superb but they have gone on to let themselves down in the long (apart from this year). I think this year they have been very much the Russian No. 2's, I am really disappointed how they have been marked in this years worlds. I would also have had them a bit higher in Vancouer but not the podium.

While I like both of them I think Trankov is the stronger skater. He is much more secure on the jumps, the olympic short was a rarity for him. Maria struggles with the jumps, she was more secure this year when the 3S was changed for the double axel. I always felt in their partnership that Trankov and Maxim did not really get on, everytime M/T took to the ice OV was always talking to/supporting/encouraging Maria while Max skated round in the distance.

It's been reported on some of the Russian websites that they have split and are quoting Maxim saying he would like to skate with Tatiana V. I think they have the potential to be a world beating couple, hopefully if its true they can realise their potential.

It's kinda funny that Ukraine has given us Tatiana and Aliona (also Julia Obertas), not a bad contribution to the world of pairs skating

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Voloshozar is not polished, not elegant. She's like Caydee Denney. Whoever she partners up with will suffer in term of PCS. Smirnov would be stupid to switch partner as they're going up and up in the judges' mind. They've been improving from year to year.
    Mukhortova and Trankov hit a plateau for the past 2 years. I don't see them going anywhere but down. Trankov, even with a switch, will not do any better than Trankov with Mukhortova. He's the weaker of the two. He can't suddenly become stronger by switching partner.
    Do you even watch skating? Because you could not be more wrong! Tatiana V. is definitely elegant and polished. Caydee Denney can only dream of having Tatiana's positions! Additionally, she's got a very consistent 3T and has landed the 3S fairly often. I think a lot of male pair skaters would kill for a chance to skate with her. She's a star. She could have had a much better partner all these years, but stuck with Morozov because he is her boyfriend and an all-around wonderful guy off ice.

Trankov is more expressive than Mukhortova, and more consistent. I think he and Tatiana's style would mesh very well.

Rinkside
    I am new here and can not really start a new thread BUT
    Today Russian media reported that Mukhortova/Trankov officially announced split. Trankov will be trying with Volosazhar in coming weeks and their fate will be decided. The name of the coach is not known yet but reportedly it's either Pavlova or Moskvina.

Custom Title
    What Pairs have Pavlova coached in the past? Any notable pairs?

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by mystichaze View Post
    Ilushechkina/Maisuradze and Totmyanina/Marinin before they went to Vasiliev.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by mystichaze View Post
    I have to admit I never heard of her before *blush*, so any info whould be appreciated.
    I have been a fan of V/M (well Tatiana really) for a while, so I really hope she can find a partner with whom she will be able reach her potential .

I wonder if Volosozhar and Trankov will be better than Kavaguti and Smirnov? I hope so

Rinkside
    BTW, here is Maxim's interview in Russian. http://www.championat.ru/other/news-455410.html

Custom Title
    Link

Google Translate says it's official, but I don't know the reliability of the source.

Do you even watch skating? Because you could not be more wrong! Tatiana V. is definitely elegant and polished. Caydee Denney can only dream of having Tatiana's positions! Additionally, she's got a very consistent 3T and has landed the 3S fairly often. I think a lot of male pair skaters would kill for a chance to skate with her. She's a star. She could have had a much better partner all these years, but stuck with Morozov because he is her boyfriend and an all-around wonderful guy off ice.
    Oh I know. In her dreams would Caydee be like Tatiana V. I'm so happy about this possiblity. Who knows if they will mesh well but I have high hopes. Talent wise this team could be just through the roof good.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast