Men SP starting order | Page 22 | Golden Skate

Men SP starting order

jennylovskt

Medalist
Patrick Chan was great. I do think seniorita has a point about his smaller jumps, though. While, when landed, his triple axel is huge, his combos always seem a little short. But his footwork is amazing. He does so much with so little, and I love his arm movements throughout. He's learning musical expression, and it's true he doesn't emote as much as the top skaters, but it's still amazing to behold.

I hate his hands opened widely through out the performance. So unexpressional!

purplegirl

Rinkside
So true. It was really cute, but hilarious at the same time.

Totally cute! Everybody there was laughing too. Good to see the skaters more friendly with each other than what the media and trash talk (and sometimes fans) make them out to be. Like Evan and Johnny aren't such enemies as people assume. Seems like neither are Brian and Patrick, or Yuna and Mao for that matter.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Totally cute! Everybody there was laughing too. Good to see the skaters more friendly with each other than what the media and trash talk (and sometimes fans) make them out to be. Like Evan and Johnny aren't such enemies as people assume. Seems like neither are Brian and Patrick, or Yuna and Mao for that matter.

They may not be enemies, but they're not necessarily friendly either. They were polite to each other at the press conference today, but that doesn't mean that all is perfect when the microphones are turned off.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Nob article.

He was worried about 3A on which he fell during the 6 min practice. He popped that jump and "Every mistake followed." "My brain did not work". ....
There was a talk that he might split with Morosov after Olympics. He may not have been ready mentally going for the comp.....
He has not overcome the lace incident and still gets nearly in tears when that topic is touched upon.....
http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/flash/KFullFlash20100325020.html

Not sure how the lace incident affected this one, but the issue seems to be mental here, not injury.

iriseyes

Rinkside
In case i forgot, I m ubering Kozuka so the rest please stay away, I fell in love once again. And I sent him an airkiss when he was leaving and he smiled back. Totally embarassed me :eek:

Oh I know... His combination of modesty, talent, and Taka-ness make him just too much fun to adore! He genuinely seems bewildered and appreciative of our adoration-- give him a gift and you get such a heartfelt "thank you" you feel like he might actually save the stuffed moose (or whatever... just a not-so-random example...) you've inexplicably felt the need to offer. LOL. How embarrassing indeed...:eek: Anyways, we'll be following this one all the way to Sochi! :)

I'm praying for many many clean skates tomorrow! Not like the many Olympic LP let downs :( Clean skates from Kozu, Abbot, and Chan would make my day!

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
But Brian just looked at Patrick and he immediately seemed to know the need of help. I am happy for him and hope he does well tonight also.

There is not yet any official explanation what happened with Oda, is there? I just looked replay from Eurosport and our commentator thought there might be something wrong in the skates. There must be some reason; that kind of thing does not happenoften even to the lower lever skaters.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
When Adrian Schultheiss landed a Quad + 8 Triples in his Olympic LP, nobody complained why he didn't finish in the Top 10. T

Except in Sweden...About yesterday he thought himself maybe he should have been couple of places higher.

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Yes, I'm thinking Jeremy doesn't skate with enough confidence and maybe doesn't give the judges the impression that he knows he can deliver a strong performance when it really counts. I think this perception does hurt him in their eyes.

I believe that if Abbott manages a great faultless freeskate this evening, his PCS scores will be better. His Olympic melt-down and last year´s WC melt-down have caused that he did not get as high PCS in Turin he would have actually deserved. IF Abbott will be on the podium in Turin, his next season scores will be higher as he will have reputation. Well, this is figure skating...

Nadia01

Final Flight
Nob article.

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/flash/KFullFlash20100325020.html

He was worried about 3A on which he fell during the 6 min practice. He popped that jump and "Every mistake followed." "My brain did not work". ....
There was a talk that he might split with Morosov after Olympics. He may not have been ready mentally going for the comp.....
He has not overcome the lace incident and still gets nearly in tears when that topic is touched upon.....

Not sure how the lace incident affected this one, but the issue seems to be mental here, not injury.

You've got to be kidding me. Still "nearly in tears" over the shoe lace incident? :shocked: I know it totally sucked for him, but shouldn't he get over that by now? It's been like a month!

Nadia01

Final Flight
Oh I know... His combination of modesty, talent, and Taka-ness make him just too much fun to adore! He genuinely seems bewildered and appreciative of our adoration-- give him a gift and you get such a heartfelt "thank you" you feel like he might actually save the stuffed moose (or whatever... just a not-so-random example...) you've inexplicably felt the need to offer. LOL. How embarrassing indeed...:eek: Anyways, we'll be following this one all the way to Sochi! :)

I'm praying for many many clean skates tomorrow! Not like the many Olympic LP let downs :( Clean skates from Kozu, Abbot, and Chan would make my day!

I didn't really care for Kozuka's programs this year, but they're growing on me. I really like Kozuka too b/c he seems like such a talented, hard-working and humble person. He appears very friendly to other skaters and genuinely appreciate his fans and supporters. I think he's sponsored by Toyota, and I'm sure Toyota tells him how to behave and so on, but you can't fake niceness that long.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Just two things. I dont think Chan projects more in he audience than Kozuka, or has more bold presence. I just think that kozuka'style is more loose and he skates differently. Or Chan skates a bit more mature for his age. They also have quite different bodylanguage (or something like that I cant explain). Anyway yesterday I thought Kozuka's program was a big step from Rostelecom, he skated with eye contact and I really really didnt want the program to end. And I dont know why people say Abott was tence, I was really really close and he looked relaxed and dancing with the music. Maybe I missed some facial expression to the camera???I didnt feel he was tense but as I said I was carried away by his music and his skate also.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just two things. I dont think Chan projects more in he audience than Kozuka, or has more bold presence. I just think that kozuka'style is more loose and he skates differently. Or Chan skates a bit more mature for his age. They also have quite different bodylanguage (or something like that I cant explain). Anyway yesterday I thought Kozuka's program was a big step from Rostelecom, he skated with eye contact and I really really didnt want the program to end.

I agree! Taka has shown that he has more range and diversity in music choices and styles than Patrick. To me, that should count for something, but I guess this is not so for the judges. Chan pretty much sticks to the same type of music, choreography, and program style. I applaud Kozuka for trying to bring something fresh and different to the table.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
museksk8r, aren't you essentially arguing that judges should be judging reputation/off the ice abilities as well? I agree that Kozuka has shown more range in terms of programs, and I do hope that Chan expands his repetoire, but suggesting that the judges should say "well, Kozuka can skate to "Bold as Love" and Romeo and Juliet, so lets give him a couple extra points"). What should it count towards?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
After watching the Universal Sports Coverage I agree Peter C. that Brian should be in the lead or a Very close second. Plushenko got over 90 at the olympics with the same jump layout which was not done IMO as well as Joubert here and Joubert certainly had more speed, better spins, and skating skills. Sure he is no artist, but the chreo did go with the music and he sold it all the way. Takahashi was really good, he also sold it and I think landed his jumps better than he had at the Olympics, and his footwork and interprtation is just so good I don't have a problem with him being in first.
Chan was Chan, nice dance-like edges and footwork but he still seems to "nice" and light of movement to really sell the tango. I feel like both his programs this year do not play to his strengths as the 4 Seasons did.

Bottom line, both Brian and Daisuke made me stand up and cheer. Both hit it out of the park and I feel the race for gold should be betteween them

Bennett

Record Breaker
museksk8r, aren't you essentially arguing that judges should be judging reputation/off the ice abilities as well? I agree that Kozuka has shown more range in terms of programs, and I do hope that Chan expands his repetoire, but suggesting that the judges should say "well, Kozuka can skate to "Bold as Love" and Romeo and Juliet, so lets give him a couple extra points"). What should it count towards?
That's an interesting discussion. I do hear ppl value versatility, but yeah, it's hard to translate into scores. But if you do the same thing over and over again, ppl can get bored. That may be it.

mishieru07

On the Ice

AMEN to that. He's so adorable (and has wonderful skating skills too!). I'm definitely rooting for him for the next quad (Skate gods, be kind!!)

IDK about placing Joubert ahead of Chan and Dai ... I don't watch Men's very often but wallylutz's and Tony's comments make sense regarding the TES at least. Not sure about PCS.

GANBATTE Taka-chan and Dai-san! Good luck to everyone for the FS later!

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Seniorita, thanks for your nice and personal reports. Hearing from someone actually THERE is so enjoyable. Are you watching all the following disciplines? Keep on having fun and writing essays :thumbsup:

Won't voice my opinions about who should be on top of who :laugh: Just saying that I am sad for Jeremy getting such a low score for such a good performance :clap: :no:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Seniorita, thanks for your nice and personal reports. Hearing from someone actually THERE is so enjoyable. Are you watching all the following disciplines? Keep on having fun and writing essays :thumbsup:

Won't voice my opinions about who should be on top of who :laugh: Just saying that I am sad for Jeremy getting such a low score for such a good performance :clap: :no:

Jeremy was not at his best yesterday. He may have been pretty clean but hearing him talk - he said he was off, was not in his zone, and struggled to keep it together.

I think the judges saw that and scored him somewhat accurately. He is a vey special skater - but what he showed yesterday was not as good as how he skated at Natls. Others are free to feel differently - even eye witnesses - but somehow I belive Jeremy's own words over fans.