Men SP starting order | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Men SP starting order

janetfan

Match Penalty
It's too bad I get myself to root for Chan anymore..he's such a good skater. I just can't imagine what he'd say if he wins the whole thing. His head would be to big for his body.

Are people upset about something Chan said - or just preparing for what he may say next? ;)

I thought he skated extremely well today but so did Dai, Brian, Taka and a few others.

Frenchdude

Rinkside
Great competition! Brian was amazing, and so were Dai, Patrick and a few others. Loved Michal as well.

Nobunari's meltdown was just unbelievable. How the hell did that happen? For an athlete of his caliber... Heartbreaking.

Ren

On the Ice
In case i forgot, I m ubering Kozuka so the rest please stay away, I fell in love once again. And I sent him an airkiss when he was leaving and he smiled back. Totally embarassed me :eek:

Aww, how lovely for you, seniorita!

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
John Z is coaching the young Italian Pair Team. He was with them in the K&C.

Didn't realize he was coaching anyone. He was just at the Thin Ice competition a few days ago so I was surprised to hear he was in Italy.

purplegirl

Rinkside
He didn't say anything bad at all. I watched CBC and he was asked whether confidnece has helped him. And he said yes, it has this year, and that Dai clearly has had it for much longer, which contributes to Dai's charisma on the ice. Patrick then said he can work on it in the coming years. I don't get why people would mischaracterize that totally harmless statement and say Patrick's being arrogant. I would urge people to listen for themselves. I thought he was being pretty modest at this interview actually.

prettykeys

Medalist
Okay I'm watching Chan and I'm not a fan of the man chan but his skating is pure. All that beautiful edging. The only thing Joubert has over Chan is that quad...that's it. I don't get how Joubert with his footwork, spins and choreography should match Chan's footwork, spins, choreography to place ahead of him. Chan's jumps were even smoother to me.
You are so fair and I agree.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:biggrin:OMG! Patrick Chan spoke..1 ,2, 3,..Everybody Freak!

He was doing a backstage interview ( after the fact, not live ) with the dread Brenda Irving. Kurt had been saying that Dai was more of an actor on the ice , etc .etc. Chan basically said that Dai's program and his were pretty equal, but Dai had more charisma, performed better. But said that would come ( improve for him )in the future. I thought he was basically complimenting Dai on the day.

There's no pleasing everyone.

Didn't realize he was coaching anyone. He was just at the Thin Ice competition a few days ago so I was surprised to hear he was in Italy.
His wife is a former Italian Champion and a well known international competitor. John's coaching comes directly from Moskvina's husband and that is a good thing for the Italian Pairs.

prettykeys

Medalist
hmm...my thoughts on the men:

1) Joubert's TES compared to Takahashi and Chan seems kind of low.
2) Chan deserved more significantly higher PCS.
3) Abbott was so killed on the PCS...why??? :/

Takahashi, Chan, Joubert ranking is right. :)

Last edited:
Anyone else think Javier is absolutely adorable? I love his hair! And I agree about Patrick, he needs an ego check, hope Brezina beats him tomorrow!
Javier Fernandez and Michal Brezina will be much talked about next season in the Figure Skating blogs. Mark me!

lavender

Record Breaker
Does anyone know how Florent Amodio skated? I'm enjoying Florent, Brezina, Adam, Ten and maybe now Javier come up from juniors and do so well. I also love all of their styles. They all have such potential for the whole package.

wallow

Spectator
Javier Fernandez and Michal Brezina will be much talked about next season in the Figure Skating blogs. Mark me!

I hope so, I adored Brezina at the Olympics.

Nobunari's must have had the meltdown of a lifetime if he didn't even make the free skate. What a horrible way to end the season considering how much positive hype he was geting in the beginning of the season. :disapp:

Nice to see Joubert come back after the disaster that was Vancouver.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Omg, Nobunari was awful. I wonder if something's wrong with him (injury or sickness). He didn't seem surprised or upset, really, by his bombing, but Nikolai asked him what happened so it must be something unknown to him at least. Another disappointment was Borodulin's blade breaking. I've never seen that happen. It would suck if there was only one spot for Russian men at next year's worlds and Plushenko strolled back and grabbed it. Ohh yeah, and I was sad about Ryan Bradley, but it must be hard to skate with a broken toe. I saw him wince in pain a couple of times, once at the beginning and once at the end, and his jump takeoffs were a little weird too.

Takahashi, Chan, Joubert, Kozuka, and Abbott were all amazing. I thought that Joubert would be first, but I don't know why some people are being so hard on Chan. He was really good!

I think that Takahashi will end up taking this, but it's going to be an exciting LP.

wallylutz

Medalist
He didn't say anything bad at all. I watched CBC and he was asked whether confidnece has helped him. And he said yes, it has this year, and that Dai clearly has had it for much longer, which contributes to Dai's charisma on the ice. Patrick then said he can work on it in the coming years. I don't get why people would mischaracterize that totally harmless statement and say Patrick's being arrogant. I would urge people to listen for themselves. I thought he was being pretty modest at this interview actually.

If anything, I think that's a compliment towards Daisuke Takahashi, validating why judges placed his competitor above himself. This is classy IMO as most elite athletes tend to believe they are the best. I think some people don't like Chan period, so their judgement is colored by their own preconceptions and see ghosts everywhere.

wallylutz

Medalist
The PCS totally works with me but the TES... Hmmm :think:

Try to think about the GOE and the non-jump elements and aske yourself, aside from the jump combo, was Joubert superior to Chan or Takahashi in the 7 other elements, for instance step sequences? Keep in mind also the Top two skaters likely got awarded Level 4 in one of their two step sequences, which automatically double the GOE received on that element vs. Joubert's step sequences, where are no where near being awarded Level 4. Now reflect back on Joubert's jumps, and ask yourself, how was the transition into the jumps and what was flow in/out of his jump? How solid was his landing in terms of his free leg, landing foot and upper body? Once you answer all those questions, I am sure you would pretty much answer your own doubts because what I saw in Joubert today was very similar to what Plushenko did in Vancouver. Yes, he got the big trick it was only one element and it wasn't that well done and the rest of his program sort of let him down and left the door open.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I hope so, I adored Brezina at the Olympics.

Nobunari's must have had the meltdown of a lifetime if he didn't even make the free skate. What a horrible way to end the season considering how much positive hype he was geting in the beginning of the season. :disapp:

Nice to see Joubert come back after the disaster that was Vancouver.

I love Michal too, and Javi is just a breath of fresh air. I really hope Michal and Tomas dominate next season, I love them both :love:

As for Oda, http://goldenskate.com/articles/2009/w_ms.shtml he says he was not injured or sick, just very, very tense. Poor guy, he looked like a scared little puppy out on the ice :cry: , at least he's had a good season up til now (he couldn't really help his lace breaking in Vancouver), I'm sure he'll come back strong next season. Also, I didn't know Javi skated with Morozov though, does that mean he lives in New Jersey?

chloepoco

Medalist
If anything, I think that's a compliment towards Daisuke Takahashi, validating why judges placed his competitor above himself. This is classy IMO as most elite athletes tend to believe they are the best. I think some people don't like Chan period, so their judgement is colored by their own preconceptions and see ghosts everywhere.

Uh, pot...kettle...black? Judging from your posts on IceNetwork....especially re: Vancouver Ladies!