Pairs Short Program | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Pairs Short Program

Moxie

On the Ice
John Baldwin publicly complained about losing to Evora/Ladwig at Nationals. Then he said something like, "You (meaning USFS) want us to go to Worlds because you don't think the second place team is good enough?" or something along those lines. I don't even know what he was talking about, as I assume Inoue/Baldwin were only going to get offered an alternate spot for Worlds. It was rather immature, but several people really did think Inoue/Baldwin deserved 2nd at that competition based on how they skated.

Oh right. I forgot all about that but I don't think about him much. His partner is fabulous, though.
At Nats it was so close that I did wonder if they would have gotten higher PCS if he hadn't thrown a "take that!" look at the judges after the 3A throw. But I doubt they would have be able to score higher than E&L at the Olympics.

watchvancouver

Match Penalty
How could you say that? Clean skate, and they are not inflated at all.

Clean? I guess clean is in a beholder's eyes. No pair can get away with that crushing-my-partner-face-and-shoulder triple twist, but they continue to receive +2 goe. Her landing position on throws is never secure and it's ugly. Their sbs spins are so slooooow. Kawaguchi's lift position is ugly which is on par with Pang's. But P&T have lots of other strengths K&S never have.

skatemom1122

Final Flight
However, clean compared to the rest of the field, right? By the way, are the protocols out? I would like to see that +2 GOE on the twist.

gold12345

Medalist
However, clean compared to the rest of the field, right? By the way, are the protocols out? I would like to see that +2 GOE on the twist.

Oh, they get +1s and +2s on their twist all the time, which is ridiculous. I thought their twist today was even worse than usual though, so I would expect no +2s. But you never know with Kavaguti/Smirnov.

At Nats it was so close that I did wonder if they would have gotten higher PCS if he hadn't thrown a "take that!" look at the judges after the 3A throw. But I doubt they would have be able to score higher than E&L at the Olympics.

I feel the same way, but Baldwin probably does not. :) Afterall, he and Rena have been 4th and 8th in the world within the past four years, and he still seems convinced that he's top notch. I doubt he's going to be impressed by any top 10 E/L finish here or at the Olympics, or by the fact that E/L are skating better now. He's just saying that on that Nationals weekend, when E/L didn't skate all that great, that he and Rena and their throw triple axel deserved 2nd. I see his point, but he's so obnoxious that he just rubs people the wrong way.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Oh, they get +1s and +2s on their twist all the time, which is ridiculous. I thought their twist today was even worse than usual though, so I would expect no +2s. But you never know with Kavaguti/Smirnov.

I feel the same way, but Baldwin probably does not. :) Afterall, he and Rena have been 4th and 8th in the world within the past four years, and he still seems convinced that he's top notch. I doubt he's going to be impressed by any top 10 E/L finish here or at the Olympics, or by the fact that E/L are skating better now. He's just saying that on that Nationals weekend, when E/L didn't skate all that great, that he and Rena and their throw triple axel deserved 2nd. I see his point, but he's so obnoxious that he just rubs people the wrong way.

I feel like despite their experience, Baldwin and Inoue never had the polish. And when I look back at their career the only thing I will remember, sadly, is that that throw triple axel. I think E/L are much more beautiful skaters and it's only more noticable now that they are doing well technically. The commentators often comment how much they are into the performance, especially Amanda. They just put it all there.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
So excited for Caydee and Jeremy! I really hope they make the top 10 here, I felt like their LP in Vancouver was underscored, they are better than 13th place! Good luck in the FS!

Big Deal

Final Flight
Am I the only one, who has a feeling Kavaguti-Smirnov just doesn't match to each other?
They are good skaters, but somehow grotesque together. The connection doesn't exist between them nor emotionally, nor physically. They are WORKING very hard on what the coach and choreographer told them to do.

I would love to see Volosozhar with SMirnov in the future.
THAT would be a hardly beatable pair in the future !

hongligl

Final Flight
D/D's skating was such a disappointment, three times in a row. Where is a real good Canadian pair? I actually like their LP very much. Hopefully they can skate a clean LP tomorrow.
Glad for the american pairs! I wanted to switch from PC to TV and missed part of D/B's:( .
Love the French pair and the Italian pair.
K/S is never my cup of tea. It would be a pity if M/T split. They are better, and I can't imagine v/T together. V seems so nice and T seems having such a bad temper. S/S do not deserve to be ahead of the two beneath them today, but it is a virtual tie among 3-5, no big deal. I actually thing S/S have great quality and potential. It is just that they've been held up even when they skated badly that they did not develop their consistency as it would have. Same thing for Zhang/Zhang. Zhang/Zhang had been kind of getting good marks solely relying on their technical skills before this season, and their development in the artistry department had been slowed down. I actually think that the bumpy season up to the olympics gave Z/Z a head-up and they did improve a bit later in the season. I actually start to appreciate them more now. P/T did a great job and they deserve their marks. Wishing them skate a fantastic LP again. Good luck for every one and above all, go clean!

seniorita

Record Breaker
I watched all event on dutch eurosport and my head got boiled! A little sad for S/S with mistakes again. Robin 's interview was sad..:(
Eurosport didnt show the first group but yey, the greekz didnt finish last!:clap:

watchvancouver

Match Penalty
K/S wuz robbed :-/

Yeah, they were wuz robbed, should be in 10th...

Die niedrigen Noten für die künstlerische Darstellung erstaunten auch Udo Dönsdorf, Sportdirektor der Deutschen Eislauf- Union: "Das Gesamtpaket der Zwei ist so viel besser als das der Konkurrenz, es hätte ruhig höher sein dürfen."-----
German federation complaining about S/S' 'low' score? Anybody understands German?

Wow, the camera angle was absolutely atrocious by constantly cutting off skaters' lower bodies. :laugh:

skatingfan04

Final Flight
I'm heartbroken for D/D. That was a worse meltdown than they had in Vancouver. Does anyone remember how good they were back in 07/08? I'm not saying they were perfect in every competition, but they were pretty consistant and their skating had a real spark. That spark's not completely gone. They were magical in the FS at nationals this year, but I really think that they need a huge confidence boost. I pray that they have a great skate in the free. While a medal is pretty much out of the question, I think that a sucessful program will do wonders for their confidence. I hope that they don't split or hang up their skates after worlds, and that they have a Rochette-like turnaround over the summer and come back with a new spring in their step. They are, after all, only 22 and 24.

As for the top group, I loved P/T, and I'm so happy that they had a great skate. Too bad for S/S, but i'll be shocked if they don't end up with a medal. As for K/S, i'm honestly confused. I don't see, and have never seen, what all of the fuss is about. Can someone please enlighten me? I've honestly tried to look at their performances objectively, but I still don't see it. I would have had the other Russian team, M/T, ahead of K/S.

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
I'm so happy with the standings - maybe the US can get a third spot? Pang and Tong did a great job, and looks like the Russians still have hope. I expected the Germans to do better, though.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
While I'm waiting to see the rest (CBC only has P/T, L/H and D/D) now... it's rather odd to think that just two seasons ago, D/D was beating P/T (two of their three head-to-heads - Worlds and Skate America; lost to them at the GPF). I mean, they don't even look like they're in the same league now.

If I were to list the mistakes D/D made (fall on the SBS 3S, poor unison on final spin, stumble from Bryce early on) it wouldn't give the flavour of this skate. I was quite excited for the "Requiem for a Dream" short - it was a departure for them, and they needed something to trigger them after their disappointing 08/09 season. But after a solid, uninspiring skate at TEB, they just haven't gotten into it. It was laboured (they COP-their lifts beautifully, but not today), the triple twist was awkward, etc. It just seems to me that they're going through the motions, and that's depressing. I'm not sure if this was worse than Vancouver, but I hardly remember Vancouver for them, truth be told (so much good skating to shove in my brain instead)

L/H have a nice, gentle quality, and this program suits them to a tee. Even though they had a couple errors (including a fall) and I don't think at their best they match D/D, I see them sticking around a lot longer than D/D, unless we see a magic turnaround.

P/T.... well, talk about second acts. Great performance.

Last edited:
Before we sign off here, I draw everyone's attention to that inspiring Italian Team (thanks to John). It will be worth watching their LP and decide if we want to see them in the GPs.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Wow so proud of our American pairs they really brought it. That Dube and Davidson are ahead of Evora and Ludwig is a mistake. How many times has Jessica fallen in the SP this year? Why can't they change the jump to double axels? She obviously had a mental block on it now.

Sad for S&S, thier hope for gold is pretty much gone, I don't see them skating clean in the free or Pang and Tong messing up. 2010 certainly is a good year for Yao Bin.