Pairs Short Program | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Pairs Short Program

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Tinymavy, this quote is from the CBC website

The two said they won't change the jump for next season, as Dube has landed the jump so many times in the past. The problem, she said, is psychological, and the more times she falls, the worse it gets.

So it doesn't look like it'll change and it does look like they're staying for another season (Source)

Dramahkween

On the Ice
Montalbano/ Krasnopolski are last:eek: No comment.......:cry:

Their short needs to be rechoreographed completely for next season...It's just not fair to them...They are capable of so much more than a 32.02...They are both very solid singles skaters with great jumps, so I don't understand why their short is choregraphed so simplistically :-( Granted, the fall on that spin was kind of a disaster, but from what I understand the program was choreographed to at least a 42, so....Ugh, IDK! :-( Needless to say I'm pretty devastated. Not that I expected a top 20 finish or anything, but I do think they skated better than a few other couples, especially when others had falls and out of sync spins...Whatever, such is skating! Okay, rant over!

watchvancouver

Match Penalty
Before we sign off here, I draw everyone's attention to that inspiring Italian Team (thanks to John). It will be worth watching their LP and decide if we want to see them in the GPs.

I was very impressed. Gorgeous lines! Secure and great landings on her jumps. They certainly have a great future. I'm also rooting for the French couple. We need some new blood.

Can we split K and S? Just let S partner up with V.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
as Dube has landed the jump so many times in the past.

:confused: I've seen Jessica fall on the 3Salchow way more times than I've ever seen her land it, but if they wish to continue to be set in their delusions and continue to fall further down the rankings of pairs skating, then so be it. The writing's been on the wall for a long time now that they need to change their strategy with the 3Sal. As much as I love her, the same needs to be said for Maria Mukhortova.

What's really disheartening for Jessica and Bryce is that both of them have a history of singles skating background in Canada, yet their jump arsenal is so limited. Are they not capable of SBS 3toes?

Last edited:

watchvancouver

Match Penalty
:confused: I've seen Jessica fall on the 3Salchow way more times than I've ever seen her land it, but if they wish to continue to be set in their delusions and continue to fall further down the rankings of pairs skating, then so be it. The writing's been on the wall for a long time now that they need to change their strategy with the 3Sal. As much as I love her, the same needs to be said for Maria Mukhortova.

What are D/D's alternative? Bryce can do 3t, Jessica can not; Jessica can do 3lutz, Bryce can not; neither has a reliable 3loop/3flip. Do you suggest they simply opt for 2lutz, which is suicidal for elite pair skaters.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
How about 2A - or is that equally suicidal in the short?

I didn't realize they were so mismatched, though. And I don't think it's just the salchow, either. Their skating has had many problems.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What are D/D's alternative? Bryce can do 3t, Jessica can not; Jessica can do 3lutz, Bryce can not; neither has a reliable 3loop/3flip. Do you suggest they simply opt for 2lutz, which is suicidal for elite pair skaters.

Successful SBS 2Axels entered or exited with a difficult transition will garner much higher points than a downgraded 3Salchow accompanied with a fall.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Why can't Jessica do the toe? Someone being able to do the sal and not the toe is odd, esp. since she was a singles skater for awhile.

But yeah, they should totally take that jump out and do the double axel with a difficult transition.

nadster

Final Flight
Both Jess and Bryce have competed as seniors nationally as seniors. Bryce finished 15th in 2006 and Jess finished 6th in 2008.

Some skaters do pick up the salchow more easily than the toe. Usually those skaters that find the salchow easier will find the loop easier than the flip for instance. That is because skaters are generally stronger on edge jumps or on toe jumps.

What is strange is that Jess has the lutz and not the toe. For her to have the lutz ( a difficult toe jump ) and not have the toe ( a far easier toe jump ) is strange.

Remember Kristi Yamaguchi never really had the salchow either. But clearly Kristi's edge jumps were always less consistent than her toe jumps. Her loop was her second weakest jump. So in that case, it does not seem so strange.

Last edited:

watchvancouver

Match Penalty
Why can't Jessica do the toe? Someone being able to do the sal and not the toe is odd, esp. since she was a singles skater for awhile.

But yeah, they should totally take that jump out and do the double axel with a difficult transition.

Well, that's not the solution. They still 'need' to include a triple jump in the long program. It'll be very weird if a former world medalists only do a 2lutz in free program. I don't think judges will grade an elite pair team kindly if they only do double jumps. I think they need to just practice, practice and practice that 3S until it gets consistent.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I think that previous competitions results factor a lot in the judges heads. They ranked Kavaguti / Smirnov way ahead of Mukhortova / Trankov long ago, and that is how it is going to stay unless there are big mistakes.

I agree. It's not right, but K&S will continue to get a political advantage because of who their coach is.

Moxie

On the Ice
Okay, I just watched this.

Holy tanning spray, Batman!
M&T had a great skate, but I was so distracted by the fact that her skin is darker than her partner's costume (as well as her own).
So sad that S&S keep misplacing their mojo.
Umm, why did D&D place better than E&L?

nodreams

Spectator
OMG! P&T got a level 4 in their on their straight line footwork!
It's the first time for the pair skaters to get a level 4 in the steps?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
And I don't think it's just the salchow, either. Their skating has had many problems.

But I think the salchow was the root of them. If she had landed it they would have had the confidence to skate the rest clean. After she fell they both were thinking "here we go again" and had little motivation or energy to finish the rest well.

What is strange is that Jess has the lutz and not the toe. For her to have the lutz ( a difficult toe jump ) and not have the toe ( a far easier toe jump ) is strange.

So they should do s/b/s triple lutzes. :laugh:They would have the highest tech base value in the event on that element and might make up enough points to change the triple twist back to a double if they are going to have collisions like that on the triple.

Toby1Dawg

Rinkside
Okay, I just watched this.

Holy tanning spray, Batman!
M&T had a great skate, but I was so distracted by the fact that her skin is darker than her partner's costume (as well as her own).
So sad that S&S keep misplacing their mojo.
Umm, why did D&D place better than E&L?

lol maybe she's thinking being orange like Savchenko use to be..... would help her skating.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
How the hell did Dube/Davidson place higher than Evora and her partner? Goodness. Their skating was flat and boring and slow, not to mention the obvious URed SBS Salchow.
Murkhortova/Trankov should place higher than S/S. That was a beautiful short program.
Weird judging.

Compare to the Olympics, I thought Pang/Tong would get 72, K/S would get 71, M/T 69, S/S 65, Z/Z 58.

gold12345

Medalist
But I think the salchow was the root of them. If she had landed it they would have had the confidence to skate the rest clean. After she fell they both were thinking "here we go again" and had little motivation or energy to finish the rest well.

And if I was their coach, that would tick me off. If you fall, that should be even MORE incentive to skate the rest of the program well and rack up enough points to get a respectable score and "stay in it" for the LP. Especially at this level, nobody should be giving up after one mistake. I could see if it was practice, but it's a competition. Not that I think D/D necessarily gave up after the fall today... I mean, they do have technical issues- Their triple twist is very hot and cold (usually cold), as is the unison of their SBS spins, etc. But there were one or two little stumbles here and there that just seemed like a lack of focus or maybe even effort. Jessica just seemed out of it. I hope their LP is better because they are capable of skating well.

Compare to the Olympics, I thought Pang/Tong would get 72, K/S would get 71, M/T 69, S/S 65, Z/Z 58.

The Zhangs a 58? No way, especially not with the judges' tendency to score everyone very high lately. The Zhangs may have serious presentation issues, but there are very few teams that can keep up with them technically when they're skating well, and I have no issues with their score today in comparison to the others. I would have had M/T's score a bit higher though.

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And if I was their coach, that would tick me off. If you fall, that should be even MORE incentive to skate the rest of the program well and rack up enough points to get a respectable score and "stay in it" for the LP. Especially at this level, nobody should be giving up after one mistake.

Annie was ticked off. The camera actually caught her mouth the word "sh!t."