Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Defending Tarasova

Medalist
    One thing TAT should take the full blame is Asada's costumes.
    They were HOR-RI-BLE!!!!
    FS costume made me think she was disguising as a erupting volcano.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    One thing TAT should take the full blame is Asada's costumes.
    They were HOR-RI-BLE!!!!
    FS costume made me think she was disguising as a erupting volcano.
    Dude, read the original post...

Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    and at 3:00, there is a photo of the Olympic podium that shows all three winners from top to bottom. The heights of Yuna and Mao often quoted is that Mao is 163-cm and Yuna is 164-cm. But in this photo, Mao is clearly taller than Yuna. I think there was some mention about this earlier in another thread, and some poster dismissed it as Yuna having different type of skates from Mao, but if you look at all previous podium photos, Yuna always stood slightly taller than Mao, and neither Yuna nor Mao can have changed their skates, so that explanation doesn't work.

Is it possible that Mao is still growing!? That would explain alot regarding Mao's jump issues this season.
    Could be so. I wouldn't expect the ISU page to be often updated.
    What are the chances of a 19yo athelete getting taller? I have no idea.

But I think Mao's mother should not have pushed so hard for her to go to TAT even if part-time. And I think TAT should have the sense now to tell Mao to go get a full-time coach. I don't think Mao's mother and that Shanetta(sp?) person are not qualified to handle such a talent.

But I worry that Mao's been practically self-coaching for so long that she won't be willing to follow a new coach.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by SerpentineSteps View Post
    Dude, read the original post...
    Hey smart guy, there is no such rule that replies have to agree with the original post. DUH

On the Ice
    I don't think anyone is too blame here. There were just some wrong choices. Mao is an adult and Tat is a famous successful coach. But it should be noted that Tat's singles skaters came to her with outstanding jump technique. Other coaches had already done the technical work with Kulik (Kudriatsev), Yagudin (Mishin), and Arakawa (Callahan). Mao has a lot of jump issues that were not properly fixed. Mao made a huge mistake leaving Arturian. Tat created some terrible programs with music that did not highlight or work well for Mao. But Mao chose to go with them despite a lot of negative feedback. Either she is too strong headed or has been ill advised. If she doesn't fix the jump issues and get proper choreo, her only hope is for Yu na to retire. Even that may not be enough as Mirai is coming on strong. Lets hope Mao makes better coaching, training, and choreo choices next season. Maybe no one has the nerve to tell Mao (and her mom/team) the truth. Hopefully, the Olympics was a wake up call if she wants to compete toe to toe with Yuna.

Custom Title
    I read somewhere that Tarasova had wanted Mao to get a technical coach (perhaps to supervise the jump/tech side of things)? Maybe she did after CoR, I'm not sure. But I do agree with Toby1Dawg's observation about Tat's successful singles skaters. I think she's mainly a choreographer.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleFish View Post
    Hey smart guy, there is no such rule that replies have to agree with the original post. DUH
    There's a difference between disagreeing with an opinion posited in the post and disregarding factual claims made in it (i.e. that Asada chose them and therefore that Tarasova can't really be blamed). If there's a dispute as to the validity of the claim, that's one thing, but that's clearly not what you were doing in the post...

nefertiti..reincarnate
    It can be that RumbleFish was regarding to my post ....
    Quote Originally Posted by sorcerer View Post
    Even if they were Mao's choices, TAT is the one who has responsibility for the whole package.

Waiting for on-ice perfection.
    Thank you! I was always sick of seeing people heep blame on TAT, who happens to be one of my favorite choreographers. People complain about the choreography of Bells, but TAT also choreographed Sasha's Malaguena, Mao's Ladies in Lavender, Kulik's Rhapsody In Blue and most of Yags programs. She is capable of regal masterpieces, tailored to each skater, which leads me to think Mao's input clearly had an effect. Mao said she wanted to skate to heavier, stronger music because it would empower her. TAT complied. It's not as if TAT was insistent on Mao skating to heavy music -- her first piece for Mao was Ladies in Lavender, my absolute favorite of Mao's programs. I know TAT is to blame too, but does she really deserve the abuse she gets from so many of Mao's fans? Mao should've been smarter. It's not some petty talent she's nurturing.

The thing about TAT is that she focuses on choregraphy, artistic development and tapping into that "champion" mindset. All of her top students came to her with the technical elements. Mao didn't. That's the source of all ill, in my opinion. When Mao saw her jumps deteriorating, she should've received technical help, but she didn't. I really don't get why.

Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Well, TAT was the also the one who first suggested the 3A layout and the one who did the choreography. Mao followed all of her instructions on that .
    No, I think it was Mao. I saw it on some Japanese program. In 08-09, TAT had Mao start the season with one 3A at TEB. After that, while practicing in Moscow, Mao asked to have another 3A included. It was her idea to start with -- she wanted to achieve historical acclaim and to challenge herself technically after winning her world title. TAT saw that Mao was jumping those 3As very well during NHK Trophy practices and thus gave the OK sign.

Re: Mao's mom, I once read an interview article with her (a magazine called, Aera). She almost never appears in the media. Very few ppl have ever seen her face in the media. In that interview as well, no photos of hers, just an interview. But it was interesting.

Both Mao's mom and dad lost their parents relatively early so that they wanted to have a warm family. After Mai and Mao started skating, she has been a very dedicated parent for their skating. The coach Machiko Yamada told her that Mao is talented and Mom drove her back and forth between the rink, school, and home.

After Mao entered the Univ, they bought a new apartment near the univ rink so that they can save time. Mom drove Mao everyday to the rink and she was there to watch her practice. Mom really trusted TAT despite all the opinions saying that they should reconsider the programs and the coaching situation.

Now that Mao is reaching adulthood, she wants to retire from the role as a skating Mom.

I think that she has acted like a regular skating Mom at Ms. Machiko Yamada's. Machiko Yamada is known for allowing parents' involvement. Machiko says it's easier of corse to shut them off, but she believes that getting attention is important for the skater's development and skating Moms can be helpful because they give their exclusive attention to their kids. So skating Moms watch their kids practice beside the rink everyday and give them "advice". Mao's Mom played that role longer than usual, but it may be understandable with the unusual media attention and pressures on Mao.

Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    I agree with jBroxton7001. I don't think there's any need to blame Tat or Mao for winning the silver medal!

Also, totally off topic, but I was just watching a YouTube clip of Mao done by a fan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1AeYAIoK1Y

and at 3:00, there is a photo of the Olympic podium that shows all three winners from top to bottom. The heights of Yuna and Mao often quoted is that Mao is 163-cm and Yuna is 164-cm. But in this photo, Mao is clearly taller than Yuna. I think there was some mention about this earlier in another thread, and some poster dismissed it as Yuna having different type of skates from Mao, but if you look at all previous podium photos, Yuna always stood slightly taller than Mao, and neither Yuna nor Mao can have changed their skates, so that explanation doesn't work.

Is it possible that Mao is still growing!? That would explain alot regarding Mao's jump issues this season.
    By 19, she shouldn't be growing anymore...(generally speaking)

IIRC, I think Yuna got new left boot after Skate America and maybe got new boots for the Oly.

I'm not sure if they were unmatched or not, but it's not like she's never skated in unmatched boots before. (her sr debut season)

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by dlgpffps View Post
    Thank you! I was always sick of seeing people heep blame on TAT, who happens to be one of my favorite choreographers. People complain about the choreography of Bells, but TAT also choreographed Sasha's Malaguena, Mao's Ladies in Lavender, Kulik's Rhapsody In Blue and most of Yags programs. She is capable of regal masterpieces, tailored to each skater, which leads me to think Mao's input clearly had an effect. Mao said she wanted to skate to heavier, stronger music because it would empower her. TAT complied. It's not as if TAT was insistent on Mao skating to heavy music -- her first piece for Mao was Ladies in Lavender, my absolute favorite of Mao's programs. I know TAT is to blame too, but does she really deserve the abuse she gets from so many of Mao's fans? Mao should've been smarter. It's not some petty talent she's nurturing.

The thing about TAT is that she focuses on choregraphy, artistic development and tapping into that "champion" mindset. All of her top students came to her with the technical elements. Mao didn't. That's the source of all ill, in my opinion. When Mao saw her jumps deteriorating, she should've received technical help, but she didn't. I really don't get why.

No, I think it was Mao. I saw it on some Japanese program. In 08-09, TAT had Mao start the season with one 3A at TEB. After that, while practicing in Moscow, Mao asked to have another 3A included. It was her idea to start with -- she wanted to achieve historical acclaim and to challenge herself technically after winning her world title. TAT saw that Mao was jumping those 3As very well during NHK Trophy practices and thus gave the OK sign.
    The 2 3A in LP was first thought up by TAT. She said this in an interview I read during last season (2008-2009). Here's the link to the article http://www.figureskatingmystery.com/...sova-time.html

In that article, she specifically said she suggested the 2 3A in the LP. TAT truly believed the 3A strategy will bring Mao the gold, and it is not surprising since she was used to coaching champions with big jumps. Actually, I don't think Shizuka was that sound technically because she tended to UR her jumps a lot but the rules were looser back then, so she was not penalized as much.

Custom Title
    They just didn't fit with each other. No blame should go around. It's not a blame situation thing.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia01 View Post
    By 19, she shouldn't be growing anymore...(generally speaking)

IIRC, I think Yuna got new left boot after Skate America and maybe got new boots for the Oly.

I'm not sure if they were unmatched or not, but it's not like she's never skated in unmatched boots before. (her sr debut season)

I can NOT trust this youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1AeYAIoK1Y) - I'm not sure why they would do that though. I have watched and recorded NBC ceremony. I have downloaded SBS version of podium as well.

Here's the snap shot and thumbs that may tell you otherwise:

nbc 1

nbc 2

sbs 1

sbs thumbs
    Last edited by hellcat; 03-24-2010 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix347 View Post
    Wow, so you think it's mostly Mao's fault? Don't you think as a coach Tat should bear sizable chunk of the blame? Not that giving her best performance ever at the Olympics (point wise) and winning the OSM is a bad. It really really good, actually. If the situation was really untenable, shouldn't Tat have gotten out of the situation a long time ago saying that I cannot work like this?

But doesn't it also apply to Mao? Couldn't she have said the same thing? She is 19 years old and it is ultimately her program. If she really didn't like the costume or 3 3A layout she could have stepped up and say "nope, this ain't working" It just didn't work between them and I don't think all that TAT misleading Mao is true. They are equally responsible.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast