Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Camel Spin and the Male Skater

The Camel Spin and the Male Skater

What is it about that spin that most men avoid it, or just do a cursory lift of the leg and drop to the more comfortable sitsspin? By putting one's leg in the camel position, one will lose speed on the spin unless the skater has worked on it as Alissa Czisny has. How many work on it for speed?

And how many work on the correct defined position, of free leg above the head?

Nobu, Jeremy, Brian have adequate position. do they have speed?

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    it's an interesting question because I LOVE how the camel spin looks on men when they do it well. I imagine stretch and turnout are important for this spin and maybe not many men have that or care about it.

It's the same as a man doing a spiral - they are made differently than women and so the flexibility just isn't there for them and would require a great deal of work to get a decent camel spin.

Jeremy has good speed on his.

Custom Title
    I love Adam Rippon's camel spin

Custom Title
    Its hard to get a high level on the camel, because the bullets are quite difficult and many require alot of flexibility, which the men dont all have. They can collect the points quicker in a sit

Custom Title
    Todd Eldredge gets my vote for best male Camel spin :P

Custom Title
    I like Plushenko's camel spin.

I do not understand why not. You don't have to be that flexible to do camel. A lot of lower level male skaters can do the camel just fine with a decent position. You need more tension than flexibility to get the speed.

Quote Originally Posted by bibi24 View Post
    Todd does beautiful camel spins.

Custom Title
    Todd gets my vote too !!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    What is it about that spin that most men avoid it, or just do a cursory lift of the leg and drop to the more comfortable sitsspin? By putting one's leg in the camel position, one will lose speed on the spin unless the skater has worked on it as Alissa Czisny has. How many work on it for speed?

And how many work on the correct defined position, of free leg above the head?

Nobu, Jeremy, Brian have adequate position. do they have speed?
    Your definition of correct position is wrong. From Wikiepedia "The basic camel spin position is defined as one in which the free leg is extended backwards with the knee held above hip level". An excellent camel spin requires as much practice as any jump element. I remember being at the Granite Club in Toronto and Kurt Browning spending an entire session doing nothing but camel spins to refine his technique. In general I find many of the male skaters don't give the non-jump elements as much practice time as they should and as a result don't have great technique on these elements. Perhaps if the fans and media hyped the camel as much as they do the quad we would see more good ones.

Quote Originally Posted by bibi24 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    I like Plushenko's camel spin.
    Quote Originally Posted by CB1AB2 View Post
    Todd gets my vote too !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by iluvtodd View Post
    Todd does beautiful camel spins.
    Paul Wylie!!!
    Last edited by Mathman; 03-25-2010 at 10:11 AM.

I echo the sentiments stated by everyone else that the camel position is free foot at or above hip height (not above the head height).

I think the main reason that skaters use the sit spin more than the camel is that one of the bullets for a higher level is 8 revolutions in the basic position. Hitting 8revs on a sit spin is relatively easy compared to a camel. A lot of the men this season were hitting the 8 revs in a difficult variation position thus ticking two boxes for teh one position.

On a combination spin if you hit all three basic positions for a tleast two revs then that's another bullet - so you never really have to perfect a long camel spin to get a good score. You could plan a spin with e.g. back entry 3 revs in the back camel position down to sit spin (difficult variation) for 8 revs, up to upright for a more than two, change to forward upright for i think a level 4 spin.

Add to that most skates use their difficult variation in every spin...there's not much point for a skater to bust a gut trying to get better camel spin when they don't need it.

Ant

Actually, Ant, the three positions is required on both feet for the bullet in a CCoSp, but if there's a difficult variation of the upright or a change of edge, that would satisfy a L4.

Difficult camel spin variations typically include the layover (very few men can achieve this successfully as it requires flexibility similar to a layback in the hip and back) or catch foot/donut position (which again requires a back flexibility most men would need to work on harder than a 3A to possibly achieve). There's also the COE (which is really scary on a camel compared to a sit or upright to control), 8 revs in position (difficult due to the center of gravity/larger rotational body from the position of a proper camel versus a sit or layback), and the clear increase of speed (there's no way to generate this that I have been able to come up with in a camel spin and still maintain the definition of camel spin).

I didn't go to Wikipedia for a definition of the Camel position. All I said was that the free leg should be above the head in the position - that would satisfy the wikipedia definition. There is no way one can put his free leg above his head and not have his hip move accordingly. Many elements in figure skating which involve the free leg are better served with the knee turned out and toe pointed. That's a given.

Those men who can not do a proper camel spin can only do two rotations anyway. Just wondering if it gets much judging attention as does the UR.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast