Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The Camel Spin and the Male Skater

Thanks for the correction on the three basic positions bullet!

Just out of interest would a catch foot in a camel position where you bend the free leg at the knee and catch the blade with the opposite hand count as a difficult variation of a camel? If you keep your body parallel to the ice presumably it would still be a camel? I also find that bringing the leg in speeds up the spin, and also makes it clear (as an adult!) that your foot is at or above hip height in order to have it called as a camel.

Ant

Yep - that's the donut spin

Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Yep - that's the donut spin
    Just to clarify something - I always thought the donut spin had the skater's body turned out to the side so that the chest and stomach are turned out to wards the boards and the free leg is bent back to wards the head, almost Bielmann-like.

The position I mean is fairly easy in that the chest, shoulders stomach are all still facing down towards the ice and the free leg comes up towards the ceiling to be caught by the free hand.

Does that make sense...and is still a "donut"?

Ant

Ah, catch camel spin or martini spin depending on the position of the free leg.

Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Ah, catch camel spin or martini spin depending on the position of the free leg.
    Thanks for that - would it be a difficult variation do you think? Maybe for us lowly adult skaters at least?

Ant

Quote Originally Posted by antmanb View Post
    Thanks for that - would it be a difficult variation do you think? Maybe for us lowly adult skaters at least?

Ant
    Yes, it's a difficult variation. The martini variation is done by Karademir. She was at our rink a couple weekends visiting some friends and tried to teach it to me (no luck). The plain catch camel is done by Flatt in her flying camel and is counted as a feature.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3