Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Strange results in the men's short

Waiting for on-ice perfection.
    I would've had Joubert slightly higher too. At least higher than Chan.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    If we could just dump the music and have each skater select 5 jumps and 1 combo to be judged individually we could stop harping on this almighty quad. Diving does that, and they have base values for each of the dives. Scale the jumps from 0-10 and forget about GoEs. Would you pay to see it? I would. It's total sport. Keep the music for the LP.
    No, and I don't think many casual fans would either. Most viewers cannot tell the difference between between a flip or a lutz or even a salchow and a loop. It's not as obvious as the different dives and I don't think regular people would enjoy watching jump to jump to jump. Plus, sorry but watch someone jump a foot off the ice over and over again is not as exciting as watching someone plunge off the highest diving board.....

Still .... about Joubert, I'm kind of torn and I haven't even gotten to watch Chan, who is above him. Dai was perfect and I'm in total awe of his footwork. It's so gorgeous and seemless, you totally forget he is trying to get points. But Joubert was really on fire and he did do that huge combination...

Besides, even though I like watching other skaters more, part me hopes Joubert wins the whole thing just to show his stupid federation. what would they say then?
    Last edited by Layfan; 03-24-2010 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    No, and I don't think many casual fans would either. Most viewers cannot tell the difference between between a flip or a lutz or even a salchow and a loop. It's not as obvious as the different dives and I don't think regular people would enjoy watching jump to jump to jump. Plus, sorry but watch someone jump a foot off the ice over and over again is not as exciting as watching someone plunge off the highest diving board.....

Still .... about Joubert, I'm kind of torn and I haven't even gotten to watch Chan, who is above him. Dai was perfect and I'm in total awe of his footwork. It's so gorgeous and seemless, you totally forget he is trying to get points. But Joubert was really on fire and he did do that huge combination...

Besides, even though I like watching other skaters more, part me hopes Joubert wins the whole thing just to show his stupid federation. what would they say then?
    I thought Patrick did more than Dai today. His skating was like a CoP clinic and I was surprised he didn't score a bit more.

As Patrick noted, Dai sold it better. I could say Joubert sold it better too - but I am just not buying what Joubert is selling.

If I want to see that type of action I prefer watching the original - John Travolta in "Saturday Night Fever."

Custom Title
    What happened to Oda? I feel really bad for him even though I am not a big fan. Maybe his ancestor, warrior Oda put a curse on him. He may not like the fact that Nobunari is a skater not a conquerer of Japan.Maybe he wanted him to become a prime minister instead of a figure skater.

Custom Title
    Takahashi and Joubert really SOLD their programs. Chan was excellent technically, but it's a bit like watching a windup toy going through its paces---no audience connection. Yes, Chan earns high TR and CH scores, but PE and IN scores should be considerably lower than Dai and Brian's.

I also think Abbott was robbed. He should have scored in the 84-85 range, certainly higher than Brezina.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Takahashi and Joubert really SOLD their programs. Chan was excellent technically, but it's a bit like watching a windup toy going through its paces---no audience connection. Yes, Chan earns high TR and CH scores, but PE and IN scores should be considerably lower than Dai and Brian's.

I also think Abbott was robbed. He should have scored in the 84-85 range, certainly higher than Brezina.
    I can't agree more!
    I feel that if Abbott skated last or much later in the group he would have gotten better pcs.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post

I totally agreen with your comment. Chan is a great jumper,but I just could not enjoy his program this time. Maybe he was just too busy thinking about perfecting all the technical elements that he forgot to put his heart into whole program.

Banned
    Cant stand Chan. He needs to compete with MAO.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    If we could just dump the music and have each skater select 5 jumps and 1 combo to be judged individually we could stop harping on this almighty quad. Diving does that, and they have base values for each of the dives. Scale the jumps from 0-10 and forget about GoEs. Would you pay to see it? I would. It's total sport. Keep the music for the LP.
    what i want to say is that there are differences between getting high score in a high school and in a uni, although sometimes getting a high score in a high school is difficult.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ryoko View Post
    I can't agree more!
    I feel that if Abbott skated last or much later in the group he would have gotten better pcs.
    True! Because Abbott was in the earlier group. The earlier group skaters don't usually get the same or higher PCS corridor. That's why, and That's why it's stupid.

I don't get it. If Rippon and Brezina could get those high scores, then Abbott was definitely underscored. I thought that Abbott should be in the 84 range.

As of Joubert, with his performance and technics for today, I have no doubt that he should be in the first place. At least should be in front of Chan. To see the performances today, I believe that raising the quad's value is absolutely necessary and a valid argument.
    Last edited by jennylovskt; 03-24-2010 at 10:10 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jennylovskt View Post
    True! Because Abbott was in the earlier group. The earlier group skaters don't usually get the same or higher PCS corridor. That's why, and That's why it's stupid.

I don't get it. If Rippon and Brezina could get those high scores, then Abbott was definitely underscored. I thought that Abbott should be in the 84 range.

As of Joubert, with his performance and technics for today, I have no doubt that he should be in the first place. At least should be in front of Chan. From this performances today, I believe that raising the quad's value is absolutely necessary and a valid argument.
    Do people really think Abbott is that much better than Rippon or Brezina? I mean maybe at his best he's a bit better, but I watched him today, he looked super nervous and didn't really sell the program. I'd say this is comparable to what happened to Mirai in the SP at the Olympics, Miki and Rachael were ahead of her and some people thought that was outrageous, but essentially it was a 3 way tie, and Mirai skated early, and she was a bit tentative and her combo wasn't the best. The same holds true with Jeremy, his scores are the way they are because: 1.) He skated early 2.) He skated tentatively 3.) The landing on his 3a wasn't great. Also, he, Brezina, and Rippon are essentially tied, and he's maybe paying his dues for being a headcase (he was only 11th at worlds last year and not so great at the Olympics a few weeks ago).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Do people really think Abbott is that much better than Rippon or Brezina? I mean maybe at his best he's a bit better, but I watched him today, he looked super nervous and didn't really sell the program. I'd say this is comparable to what happened to Mirai in the SP at the Olympics, Miki and Rachael were ahead of her and some people thought that was outrageous, but essentially it was a 3 way tie, and Mirai skated early, and she was a bit tentative and her combo wasn't the best. The same holds true with Jeremy, his scores are the way they are because: 1.) He skated early 2.) He skated tentatively 3.) The landing on his 3a wasn't great. Also, he, Brezina, and Rippon are essentially tied, and he's maybe paying his dues for being a headcase (he was only 11th at worlds last year and not so great at the Olympics a few weeks ago).
    Do you think it's fair to argue that he supposedly should get a lower score because he skated earlier? I know it was the fact but it was not fair! Rippon had a rugh, even worse landing in his 3A. Brezina skated nervously too. If you compare Jeremy's skating today with his Nationals SP, this time wasn't as good as that time. But his score definitely shouldn't be this low if everyone's scores are that high.

As of Joubert, with his performance and technics for today, I have no doubt that he should be in the first place. At least should be in front of Chan. From this performances today, I believe that raising the quad's value is absolutely necessary and a valid argument.
    Adam deserved the score he got- he had stepped out of 3A and based on how other top skaters performed today he simply could not afford a mistake. But I do agree that joubert should have been placed before chan- not a fan of his skating but he sold his program in a unique way and it was pretty uplifting.

Custom Title
    Do you think it's fair to argue that he supposedly should get a lower score because he skated earlier? I know it was the fact but it was not fair! Rippon had a rugh, even worse landing in his 3A. Brezina skated nervously too. If you compare Jeremy's skating today with his Nationals SP, this time wasn't as good as that time. But his score definitely shouldn't be this low if everyone's scores are that high.
    I don't think it's fair that he got lower scores because he skated earlier, I'm just saying that it probably played a factor in his slightly low score. Fair or not, it's just the reality, for example, I kind of doubt Mirai would have finished 4th at the Olympics if she had skated when Rachael skated instead of skating last - that does not mean she didn't deserve to win 4th, I thought she deserved to win 3rd, but it's unfortunately one of the drawbacks of this sport. Jeremy skates first in the last group tomorrow too, so he may be at a slight disadvantage but considering his nerves I actually think it's a good thing he skated early in both the SP and the FS, and for him, I think skating two clean programs at an event like Worlds is more important than if he places 4th or 6th, in this deep field of men, medaling is a stretch for him anyways. He looked satisfied with his scores in the Kiss and Cry, and most importantly I think he gained his confidence back.

Custom Title
    All well, at least Abbott shouldn't be robbed that much in LP because he will be in the last group to skate. The system is as funny as this!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast