Men's Short Recap | Golden Skate

Men's Short Recap

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Men's Short Program was such a success that one would have to go as low as 10th place to find a more serious mistake than turning out of a jump landing; or as low as seventh place to find any mistake at alll.

MORE

wallylutz

Medalist
The Men's Short Program was such a success that one would have to go as low as 10th place to find a more serious mistake than turning out of a jump landing; or as low as seventh place to find any mistake at alll.

MORE

This is what Joubert said: <<Joubert, who has previously been very vocal in his criticism of the new rules, which in his opinion do not give enough credit to quads, was rather nonchalant about the issue this time.

"I don't care about the place today," stated the 25-year-old. "I just care about my performance. I did a quad-triple and I think I didn't get as many points for this combination like the ones with a triple-triple combination. I probably made some mistakes on the spins or footwork, because I didn't care about the levels.">>

By his own admission, he had flaws in his spins and steps sequences, which caused his TES to be lower than expected. I think this should lay to rest any conspiracy theory that judges purposely undermaked his TES or that Quad has lost its value. None of the above is true. His Quad combo still gave him a wopping 4.3 points in base value advantage over Takahashi and Chan's combo. That's a lot of points, considering the difference between #1 and #4 skater after the SP is less than that.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Great performances for Taka, :love: Patrick, Daisuke, & Brian! :) I'm heartbroken for Nobu. :cry: I guess this means he won't make the final cut, and we won't get to see his wonderful "Chapllin" program during the men's free skate. Did Ryan make the cut? I want to see his baroque/Mozart program one more time!

Wishing good thoughts for Jeremy and Adam, Samuel Contesti & Michal Brezina too. :biggrin:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Great performances for Taka, :love: Patrick, Daisuke, & Brian! :) I'm heartbroken for Nobu. :cry: I guess this means he won't make the final cut, and we won't get to see his wonderful "Chapllin" program during the men's free skate. Did Ryan make the cut? I want to see his baroque/Mozart program one more time!

Wishing good thoughts for Jeremy and Adam, Samuel Contesti & Michal Brezina too. :biggrin:

No Chaplin but you will get to see Ryan......

Anna

On the Ice
By his own admission, he had flaws in his spins and steps sequences, which caused his TES to be lower than expected. I think this should lay to rest any conspiracy theory that judges purposely undermaked his TES or that Quad has lost its value. None of the above is true. His Quad combo still gave him a wopping 4.3 points in base value advantage over Takahashi and Chan's combo. That's a lot of points, considering the difference between #1 and #4 skater after the SP is less than that.

He did not say that he made mistakes per se. I think he was just to excited about skating clean program that he did not bother looking up the protocols and may be did not realize at that moment that he has actually scored the best technical sum of the night. So he presumed that he is third, despite 4-3, because the panel downgraded non-jumping elements.

Despite his obvious lack of any meaningful choreography it was a treat to see him so relaxed and so much enjoying himself out there. Europeans (and I presume Olympics) were rather painful to watch.