Angela and NNN Competing this weekend | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Angela and NNN Competing this weekend

Bynx

On the Ice
From MKF:
AJ called from the arena twice. Is with iloveskating, mr.iloveskating, luenatic, and Dolphine. Tifffany and Bert won the Pairs. They have good, interesting lifts, and Tiff fell twice - once on a jump, once on a throw. The tiny arena is full! AJ will call after the ladies who are up next.
AJ saw: Frank Carroll, Karen Kwan and Peter Ooooh, Studly Scott Williams in a green trench coat looking quite studly. I think his skater is a novice (?) male...not sure.
Poor Joan Cristobal...did not do well in the SP. Not sure if she has a chance to go to Nats...especially with AN and NNN in the hunt.
Stay tuned...

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I am thrilled for both Angela and Naomi........it seems odd that they have to go through this skating pecking order, but oh well, whatever works.........can't wait to see them at Nationals.....42

Bynx

On the Ice
From MKF:
Brief Ladies report: Angela seems to have won. The official results have not been posted yet.
Angela had a 3Lutz/2toe then doubled a lot of her jumps. Gisele was lovely, but Angela did not nail it.
NNN tried 3Lutz = fell. Tried 3Flip = fell. NNN still has a lot of energy and a nice program, but lost concentration (?) NNN probably in 2,3,4th...should go to Nationals. Apparently, none of the Ladies really excelled.
I couldn't get anymore info...phone connection was bad.
I'm sorry I don't have more info. I bet iloveskating will have a great report later!

Bynx

On the Ice
From MKF:
I got a call from my friend who got a call from a coach who is there who said that the top 4 are Angela, Aanya, Felicia and Stephanie (tears of joy.) And that Naomi did not make it. But this is very unofficial.

No that is not the exact order of the finish, it is just the top four. It is unofficial because the coach read the results over the phone to my friend, who repeated them to me, so I haven't seen anything in writing yet.

No, I believe that is the exact order of finish. I had a call from my friend, who told me those results. NNN was 5th, and I hear she was crying.

Poor Naomi. :cry:
She's been through so much.

Last edited:
Bynx, thanks for the posts.

I'm sorry that Naomi didn't make the cut. She could have been one of the greats if she hadn't been injured.

I think that Felicia Beck is one to watch. I hope she skates well at Nationals.

Mathman

MasterF

Rinkside
NNN

I am disappointed that Naomi did not make it to Nationals. Oh well, at least she is healthy enough that she can try again next year. According to some reports Angela is not in top form either. She needs to go to nationals with all guns firing and not just a pretty costume.

I WANT TO GIVE THANKS TO ALL WHO CONTRIBUTED

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Angela also has at least another month and a half to work on her jumps and consistancy. The biggest hurdle for her right now was to place high enough to get back to Nats and she crossed that for sure. :D And now some hard work begins again and no matter what happens, I am SOOOOO excited I will get to see her at Nats in Atlanta!!! :D :D

CONGRATS ANGELA!!!! :love:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
In order to stand on the podium at Nats, Angela will need much higher scores than what she received at Sectionals.

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Thanks, Bynx. Angela looked lovely. Question about Tiffany Stiegler - I believe that I had heard that she had grown too tall to skate with her brother? Is that the case? She looked tiny, but I know it's all relative.

dizzydi

On the Ice
Angela.......

I keep thinking that odds are eventually Angela will put two good performances together and possibly pull off a Sarah Hughes type upset. However, she needs to do it soon.

Dizzy

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
^^She's got six weeks to work on everything and I think she could do great there too. Right now, I am just glad I get to see her skate in Atlanta!! :D

Mistyeyed

Rinkside
I am happy Angela won as well as the Steigler/Cording pair but...if they are going to Nats, are they not going to have to do MUCH better in their prgrams??? It sounds like from all the reports I read that it was kinda a splatfest for everyone. Everyone fell twice or more so they just picked the ones to win who did the better elements and stuff in general. However, by Nats I really hope both the above can present themselves in a much better light. These three are some of my fav. skaters it would be so great if they were to do something awesome at Nats.

AGREATBIG THANKS!!:D to all who kept us posted on this particular skate comp.,

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If you think back to US Nationals Pairs FS '03, it was a wall-to-wall splatfest. IIRC, Rena Inoue slammed into the wall and skated the rest of the program with a bloody knee. Let's face it, the US pairs are not known for their faultless skates; Scott/ Dulebohn recently winning bronze at Lalique was a jaw-dropper. The last couple of years Tiffany Stiegler skated with her brother, every competition was splatful. Teaming with Cording HAS to be an improvement.

pipsqueak

Rinkside
NNN in pairs?

Hi. I'm new, but I've been reading. What if NNN went pairs? Am I the only one who has been thinking for a long time that a national level comeback for her might be had in pairs?

That's an interesting idea, Pipsqueak. The relative weakness in U.S. pairs must make a lot of people think in that direction. Jenny Kirk is giving it a try, for instance. Although in Jenny's case she is doing so well in singles this year that the pairs thing seems to be on the back burner.

Sad as it is to say, I do not think that Naomi will be able to make up all the ground she has lost and become competitive again on the national amateur scene. But she still has a wide fan base and lots of personality and charisma. I think there is a place for her as a professional. I for one would rather see Naomi skate than a lotof folks that have more medals and titles.

Mathman

pipsqueak - Several years ago when NNN began her road to recovery over the hip problem, a poster had suggested that when she comes back to skating she should try Pairs. Imo, and many others who replied was that Pairs is far too dangerous for someone who may again have hip problems considering the many falls that Pairs skaters go through. I don't think Pairs is a good idea although it would be nice.

Joe