Angela and NNN Competing this weekend | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Angela and NNN Competing this weekend

pipsqueak

Rinkside
Hi Joe, I thought that pairing after you've already got triples could (maybe) take the pressure off the jumps instead of adding to the fall danger. I mean, if you can already do triples on your own (with risk of falling), wouldn't it be easier (safer) to do them with assistance (except for beginners still learning jumps and throws anyway)? I should think the danger for a top-notch skater in doing pairs is not the falling on jumps/throws, but the possible fall from a lift. Now, THAT'S what I call danger to your hip, and head, and neck, and joints, and back, and..........

Any pairs skaters out there with info on this to share?

I'm happy for Angela, but she's got her work cut out for her to make the World team at Nats. I could watch Angela skate all day, but the competition is tough as it is plus others have been out there competing. But congrats to Angela for winning this one. One stroke at a time...

I hope not to sound like the Wicked Witch of the West, but I have to agree with Mathman that NNN has lost too much ground and sustained an injury too severe for her to ever make it back to the elite eligible ranks. I also agree with Joe that pairs is not really an option because of the hip injury. Landing those throw jumps is even harder on the landing leg hip than regular triple jumps, plus they take practice, practice, practice. It's very hard to see someone you have such fond memories of and had such high hopes for try for a comeback and not make it, but if I'm not mistaken, Naomi is about 19 now. For one thing, she doesn't even look like the same skater who won the silver at Nats in '01. No question it would have been wonderful to see her progress, but to be frank, I think the real Naomi, even if she could get past the hip injury, could never live up to people's memories of her. There were so many things that endeared her to people in '01. The fall where she hit her head and got up and kept skating; that amazing layback spin; her "Itty Bitty Pitty One" exhibition program; her looks (so tiny and pretty); her voice; her personality; and all that energy in her skating. I know someone who saw her practice about a year ago and he said he would never have known it was NNN unless someone had told him. Not that that will make anybody feel any better--it will probably make people feel worse. It's heartbreaking to see someone with that kind of potential never be able to realize it. But such is life. Between dance and working in sports medicine, you see incredibly talented athletes have to give up their dreams for all kinds of reasons all the time. It's alwyas sad, but at least Naomi is still healthy and except for the hip injury, can still skate. Paul Binnebose was not the kind of memorable skater that Naomi was, but he was on his way to medalling in pairs at Nats when a fall almost cost him his life and did cost him normal brain and body function for life. I only bring up Paul Binnebose to underscore the point that things could be a lot worse.

Hopefully Naomi will either go to school, find another outlet for her talents and interests, or, as Mathman said, become a pro skater. It's highly unlikely it would be with COI or SOI, but there are other pro skating opportunities. Recently at Ice Theatre of New York I saw former US eligible ice dancers Eve Chalom and Mathew Gates. They skated with the group, not as a couple, which technically is much stronger than when I last saw ITNY in May '99. Even if I didn't like all the choreography, the skating looked challenging and there seemed to be a great "esprit de corps" among the skaters. Plus the audience was certainly apreciative. So there is skating life after eligible competitive skating and hopefully Naomi will find her niche. Most people have to let go of certain dreams at some point in their lives and move on. Naomi is fortunate in that a lot of people remember her and wish her all the best finding her way, wherever it may take her.
Rgirl

JOHIO2

Medalist
Hi pip, joe and rg,

I agree that NNN probably won't get back to elite/world comp and that pairs is out, but why couldn't she do dance?????

Unless she has developed really bad skating habits, she was lovely and expressive on the ice. Dance doesn't have the jumps and overhead lifts. I don't think 19 is too late to make that kind of switch as the top dancers seem to be late 20's and early 30's.

Is there a guy out there who could use a partner (or is willing to learn with one?)?

Bynx

On the Ice
Call me an optimist but I think Naomi will skate at Nationals again!
It just seems that she has put in too much time and energy to let it end like this. I think she'll rebound emotionally and give it atleast one more try next season.

BTW, not wishing anyone ill,
but Naomi is the 1st alternate and she's not totally
out just yet. So, I'm sure that she's continuing with her training because you never know what will happen. One door shuts and another door opens. Don't give up just because something you wanted may not come the way you expected it!:D

The eternal optimist!!!:)

pipsqueak

Rinkside
Wow Rgirl! That was a mouthfull. I guess that you work in rehab and or dance? What kind of hip injury did NNN sustain? I knew she was off for an injury and possible operation. But, I didn't know it was so severe that it would keep her from any kind of serious comeback after getting "fixed".

Angela had her shoulder operated on. Was that about the same as NNN's problem? I was told that had she sustained any more repeated falls on it, she would have to quit skating. Does anyone know if that is still the case with her, too?

I do understand that NNN has gotten a little heavier, but I thought that was due to being out of it for so long and just coming back into training seriously.

JOHOIO2: I think NNN could do dance, but she is not very tall--which doesn't bother me, but no judges would take it seriously if she were to do it for competition, although I've noticed lately that, in some cases, the old "tall thin ballerina" type female ice dancer is giving way to a tinier, almost singles girl-type, as ice dancing is (also) becoming more focused in the freedance on athleticism.