Ladies Short - Start Order | Page 40 | Golden Skate

Ladies Short - Start Order

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Is Mao's interpreter the one they used for Daisuke? I thought that she was pretty good and seemed to get the nuances of translation.

She should be. Idk. I like her though. She seems to know what she's doing and gives good translations (but I don't know Japanese, so ... yeah).

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Tara was watching on a TV screen same as we were... she had the exact same angle. Tara's doing nothing more than what we are...

that being said I think she's done a fantastic job so far.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Does anybody know if there is any review possibilities about the press conference?

Bennett

Record Breaker
I thought Mao's 3A rotated. I am sorry that they had strict callers tonight. Two of the commentators, Tracy and another guy (who is that?), didn't get that, either, after seeing the jump twice in slow-mo. This is frustrating. But I am happy that she did well. Her spins looked a lot slower than Mirai's, but overall, a great program with class.

Yuna's mistakes were really bizarre. Her spins --- I can understand that sometimes it can happen when you miss it at the entry. But her mistake on spiral was very strange. What happened? She also had some mistakes in step sequence. Something looked really off and odd throughout after the brilliant opening.

Tracy was talking about double penalty for missing the spin and redoing an extra element. I do not know what that is. But there seems to be some rule.

Her 3F could have been ratified by another set of tech panel? I dunno. She did two-foot, but it did not look terribly URed.

Mirai was great. As for programs, I liked her previous ones better, esp. the delightful classical music with which she won the junior Nationals. The ballet piece next year was really cute and beautiful and Charles Chaplin was fantastic and entertaining, too. I think that these programs had more characters. But as for execution, she did a brilliant job here. Extremely fast spins, fantastic 2A from beautiful ina bauer.

I thought that her 3-3 looked like more cheated than Mao's 3A. I mean, I just didn't see any cheat on her 3A. If the tech panel does not like the way she takes off, she may continue to get dinged in FS.

Nadia01

Final Flight
I thought Mao's 3A rotated. I am sorry that they had strict callers tonight. Two of the commentators, Tracy and another guy (who is that?), didn't get that, either, after seeing the jump twice in slow-mo. This is frustrating. But I am happy that she did well. Her spins looked a lot slower than Mirai's, but overall, a great program with class.

Yuna's mistakes were really bizarre. Her spins --- I can understand that sometimes it can happen when you miss it at the entry. But her mistake on spiral was very strange. What happened? She also had some mistakes in step sequence. Something looked really off and odd throughout after the brilliant opening.

Tracy was talking about double penalty for missing the spin and redoing an extra element. I do not know what that is. But there seems to be some rule.

Her 3F could have been ratified by another set of tech panel? I dunno. She did two-foot, but it did not look terribly URed.

Mirai was great. As for programs, I liked her previous ones better, esp. the delightful classical music with which she won the junior Nationals. The ballet piece next year was really cute and beautiful and Charles Chaplin was fantastic and entertaining, too. I think that these programs had more characters. But as for execution, she did a brilliant job here. Extremely fast spins, fantastic 2A from beautiful ina bauer.

I thought that her 3-3 looked like more cheated than Mao's 3A. I mean, I just didn't see any cheat on her 3A. If the tech panel does not like the way she takes off, she may continue to get dinged in FS.

Ditto what you said about Mao's 3A. It looked fully rotated to me too & I thought Mirai's 3/3 was UR.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
What a pain to watch ladies' short. Lots of mistakes, not only in jumps, but also in spins, steps and spirals. I am afraid we will see much of the same today. Tired girls.

Mirai was the highlight. Great overall :clap: Also Mao, Laura and Ksenia were enjoyable. And the "lower" ladies that skated clean: Manouk, Anastasia, Cheltzie, Sarah H, Yan-Liu and Viktoria(not many, did I forget someone?) Carolina was OK, but she makes me nervous.

According to the swedish commentator(who had the protocols), Mirai's 3-toe-loop was downgraded, but she got huge! points for her spins. Yuna got zero for her spin, which she aborted, then did it again.

Well, if the problem for Yuna was her boot, she will fix it and come back being her old self today. If the problem is that she is exhausted and unfocused, I don't blame her.

GO all girls. The ones who can focus and squeeze out their last strength in this final competition will medal :rock:

Bennett

Record Breaker
What a pain to watch ladies' short. Lots of mistakes, not only in jumps, but also in spins, steps and spirals. I am afraid we will see much of the same today. Tired girls.

Mirai was the highlight. Great overall :clap: Also Mao, Laura and Ksenia were enjoyable. And the "lower" ladies that skated clean: Manouk, Anastasia, Cheltzie, Sarah H, Yan-Liu and Viktoria(not many, did I forget someone?) Carolina was OK, but she makes me nervous.

According to the swedish commentator(who had the protocols), Mirai's 3-toe-loop was downgraded, but she got huge! points for her spins. Yuna got zero for her spin, which she aborted, then did it again.

Well, if the problem for Yuna was her boot, she will fix it and come back being her old self today. If the problem is that she is exhausted and unfocused, I don't blame her.

GO all girls. The ones who can focus and squeeze out their last strength in this final competition will medal :rock:

Oh, I see. Yeah, I think Mirai's 3-3 URed. If it were in the Olympics, it would have been ratified. They were very relaxed there whether it was deliberately or not.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan

A Japanese commentator said Mirai's 3-3 was downgraded, too. Even more impressive that she got 70+!!! I don't really understand what people mean by her 'juniorish skating' because to me she's just so phenomenal. Fast, crisp, beautiful lines and posture, so quick to reach optimum positions like Cohen, her ina bauer is much more than just a transition feature, not to mention her spins and fire!

Her interview response with her cute broken Japanese was so charming!

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
I thought Caro gained weight, which I initially thought just my thinking, but my mom also said so. Is that why her jumps were not very high? I love her old costume back. Could also be due to gained weight, but I still love it.

miki88

Medalist
You are misunderstanding and I was certainly not misleading. By "best of Mao", I meant if she skates a perfect LP tomorrow, something like, or better than what she did in 4CC or at her Nationals. I was not in anyway calling her SP her best, although I thought she skated great. She didn't get her optimal score with her 3A being downgraded.

My point is her perfect LP tomorrow (Mao's Best) couldn't beat Mirai's perfect LP (Mirai's Best), if Mirai has as good a performance in her LP tomorrow as she did in her SP. And we know if Yuna has her perfect LP tomorrow (as in Vancouver) she can beat Mirai and Mao, although I agree with the majority opinion that it is unlikely Yuna will get that kind of score/perfornance since she doesn't seem to be in her best post-Olympics. No misleading going on here.

I got it. I guess I did misunderstand. Sorry.

Bennett

Record Breaker
A Japanese commentator said Mirai's 3-3 was downgraded, too. Even more impressive that she got 70+!!! I don't really understand what people mean by her 'juniorish skating' because to me she's just so phenomenal. Fast, crisp, beautiful lines and posture, so quick to reach optimum positions like Cohen, her ina bauer is much more than just a transition feature, not to mention her spins and fire!

Her interview response with her cute broken Japanese was so charming!

I'm also glad to see ppl waved both American and Japanese flags for her. She has dual citizenship. On Japanese TV, they showed interviews of all the Japanese ladies, Yuna's in English, and Mirai in Japanese. I think it nice that she can take interviews in both languages. I thought her Japanese there just fine.

BTW, I like Mirai in a brighter color. Black goes well with her black hair, but that black costume is kind of heavy for her, esp. the skirt is heavy. They should at least use more airy material with more shimmers so that it just does not look all black. I think that she would look better in bright red or bright blue.

Re: juniorish comment, I think that her music choices could have been something else or this SP could have had more memorable choreos. But her choreos are not very interesting, compared to Rochette's, Yuna's, Miki's, Akiko's, or Laura's choreos, for example.

That said, she is a delightful skater and I have been a big fan since her debut, esp. her skating skills are superb. She has always been extremely fast and crisp. She does not have any weaknesses except for minor URs (the way it affects scores is not minor though; but that's not her fault).

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought Kostner looked as if she'd gained weight---particularly in the legs, which used to be sticklike but now are well-fleshed. More of her butt was hanging out of her tights as well.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought Kostner looked as if she'd gained weight---particularly in the legs, which used to be sticklike but now are well-fleshed. More of her butt was hanging out of her tights as well.

I love to see a woman on the ice. Caro is beautiful and such a sweet lady too! :love:

silverlake22

Record Breaker

On yahoo it says she's 5'7" and 143 pounds but somehow I doubt she weighs that much, she looked really thin as far as I could tell.