MENS LP and the Results | Page 37 | Golden Skate

MENS LP and the Results

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Joubert was not robbed. Such silly talk. Even though he did the Quads (which weren't great in quality), his program wasn't stronger technically in comparison to Chan's. He left out the Triple Toeloop yet again and made plenty of other mistakes - falling on the Lutz, stepping out of the Loop, and a tight and shaky landing on the Axel (he has weaker technique on this jump than Chan, by the way...Joubert uses Evan Lysacek technique on his Triple Axel). With all these mistakes, his Quads only make up for how Chan in superior in spins. He wasn't better technically and he certainly wasn't better in terms of program components.

seniorita

Record Breaker
i m sooooo happy, i m still in a trance, i came back yesterday by bus and I was in another zone, I didnt get that the bus arrived to the end! Met so many people and on the way back and we were commenting on everything! First of all the Palavela full has a special atmosphere, it was magic! Audience was great, they clapped so much to give courage to the Korean skater, first indication of a great night! Then competitions are so much more fun when you dont have a clear sentimental favorite, i didnt bite my fingers (ok for dai a little) and not crying, lol.

I lost my notes so i cant remember all, please of someone finds my little book i was writing, i draw an elephant in the break! We arrived for Bradley just on time and they didnt let me in cause he had just started so i watched him on my toes from the door! He is little slow but in any case his adorable and i went to early group only for him (this break that they put the skaters so early like they are sick with contagious thread, sorry it sucks, for skaters,for audience, all...so for this, we didnt buy anything from the bar in the break, a way of complaining lol)

So out of the top of my head , ok my bad impressions first, Kovaleski I cant watch, I m sorry, he is tooo slow like going backwards, has no color in his skate, second time I see him, it was bad. I was really trying to like him, cause he is blonde, and no blonde on ice leaves me indiferent. :biggrin: But nope. And he got more pcs than Amodio?? I cant get Reynolds also, even if he jumps 8 quads, just my opinion of course, he has bad posture, he is slow, clumpsy skating and i cant find to like anything, I m not just indifferent when i watch him, it is painful. And he got more pcs than Amodio?? Voronov i m really not getting him either, he s like food without salt and he was terrified before the skate but however I was so wanting him to do well because he had a huge load on his shoulders for the two spots, it was not be..i wonder who will go next year..Russia must be boiling now, lol! My bad list ends with Pfeiffer, I didnt like much arranguez in the short for Plush, imagine me now listening to it in a longer version and by Pfeiiffer. Music is great, program was boring.Conclusion, why they got more pcs than Amodio?

Frustrating moment, Kozuka:cry:, I was heartbroken, nevertheless he can have 10 falls and still i can watch him over and over, he is my little star!For me he has the best skills, natural talent from head to toe, i dont care what judges say.

The good stuff, Amodio is just so talented and this program is third time I see it and never got bored of it. He sold it!He has personality on ice and audience loved him! Judges mark like 6.0 system in pcs, the later the group the higher. Anyway...Fernandez and Ten are really to watch live, especially Fernandez, Morozov was ready to die in front of me, i think Javier has this something that seperate talented skaters from Star skaters, he is gonna be one of them! Also Ten was good enough for me to survive arranguez again, and he is so cute. And Adrian and this program rock, he has a new fan since europeans!

The very good stuff, Rippon was magic, he reminds me of young Weir, only better!I loved his long a lot, he didnt catch me in the sp but tonight he was great! He had finess and was polished. Orser is a very inspiring figure and his face is kind. KVDP!!! I remember the tears of Kevin, I m not fan of his skating, but what he did there, wow!!! but i smiled all the time for him, he is really so devoted!!! And belgium two spots now, great! I m prouf of him! Contesti brought the arena down!!! The program is a bit awkward though. ABott was very handsome with this blue shirt, also scared to death in the beginning, he was nice to watch, sometimes his jumps make me eek because he is so tall, but otherwise he is really calming to watch and music was travelling, I got the hype around him, I noted he needs to leave his personality out more. And he has to do something about the scared part, he looks like going for execution!!! And Patrick, ok I see all the goodies he has, amazing flow, the program was very good (i think i noted his program is the most complete choreographically of all the programs I saw) but he still cannot travel me anywhere off my seat, he is like dedicated so much in his choreo and what he is doing that he doesnt make room for him to shine, I think i saw tonight the Phantom but nothing of Patrick Chan! If I make sense, i think he needs to add his personal touch to what he is given to skate. And while Joubert maybe has not the ss of Chan he has all the personality, too many fans, he involves people to his skating, it was good he came back strong,and he did what he stands by with the two quads, too bad for the fall, actually only breziina and dai didnt fall? Brezina's marks booing was really dolby suround:laugh:, I booed also because everybody did and i followed like a sheep :p Seriously i think the placement was right , BUT his marks were low and he did a clean program, his jumps by the way are spectacular. Waiting for him to skate to no jazzy music. Looking now at pcs protocolls of all, i m glad I m not judging.

The best moment of the night. Dai World Champion:clap:, everyone happy, he was the one to get standing ovation from all audience regardless of fanbases!And froin m live his costume rocked! Chan stepping on wrong podium was hilarious, camera crew was desperately signaling for him to change, two more minutes and brian would have handed the silver medal!

And now I m late for ladies!

Ren

On the Ice
Brezina's marks booing was really dolby suround:laugh:, I booed also because everybody did and i followed like a sheep :p
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Thanks for sharing your impressions, seniorita! It's always great to hear from someone who was actually there.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Thanks for the comments senorita! I agree about Javier, a rising star for sure :agree:! Also, I didn't know Jeremy was tall? I guess when you're competing against Evan Lysacek and Ryan Bradley it's hard to notice because the latter two are just so tall and lanky.

Rippon was magic, he reminds me of young Weir, only better!
A few years back, I watched the little guy from Pennsylvania farmland skate at MidAtlantics and I commented on the forum that this kid is a second Johnny Weir. He won the the small competition and it was Johnny Weir who presented him with his medal. I think he'll be a big contender in Sochi.
Just between me and you, I'm getting tired of the old guard and am happy with the new boys on the block: Fernandez, Amodio. With Brezina in the mix, we should have more entertaining skaters soon, and maybe a few quads to satisfy the non musical fans.

And thank you for the on site review, senorita.

Last edited:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
So many good skaters to watch out for! Fernandez, Amodio, Brezina, Rippon, Ten (if he stops competing so much - he was so good in the SP :agree:), Reynolds, plus the adorable Hanyu who just won Junior Worlds :love:. I'm excited! Too bad about Koz, but I still love him and think he's a beautiful skater/adorable person who should marry Mao :laugh:.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks, seniorita for a firsthand report!

A few impressions:

I'm over the moon for Dai's win. I like Patrick Chan, but I was surprised by his final placement. I am not Brian J. 's biggest fan, but I was very happy that he came back strongly at these Worlds after such a disastrous Olympics. Adam was a joy to watch, and I'm so proud of him. Jeremy had his problems, but I'm so glad he skated well enough to help the US get three spots for next season. I am extremely impressed with Michal Brezina, love Taka, and am heartbroken that he had such problems in the free skate. I feel so bad for Nobu, considering what happened in the SP and didn't make the final cut. While Kevin VDP is not the most artistic skater out there, I was thrilled for him that he finished so strongly and was genuinely so emotional about it. Thank goodness, we can also watch Universal Sports online, so I had a chance to see Ryan Bradley's Mozart program one more time (despite the problems - partly due to the injury?). Now I've got to get back to the online site to watch the rest of the competitors who weren't shown on the broadcast (hope the competition stays up for quite a while - lots of "catching up" to do). Looking forward to watching Florent Amodio and Javi in particular.

stickle

Rinkside
I feel so bad you're starting to be really upset by the posters! PChiddy is actually Patrick's twitter name, so I think Mrs. P probably meant no disrespect by that. But I share your frustration and feel that many previous posts were intentionally hurtful and disrespectful. However, it's probably not worth being upset by them, right? Anyhow, I'm sure many also appreciate your interventions. Please rest well and stay well!

I certainly am one who appreciates wallylutz's comments. Such a treat to read intelligent reasoned arguments. Thank you wallylutz for all your terrific explanations of the various programs and why some are rated higher than others. I too can't understand all the Patrick Chan hate. He's a lovely skater and immensely talented. As you pointed out, he's very young and he's only going to get better in the future. He'll nail some of those jumps and he'll refine his performance skills. I'm excited by what we're going to see from him down the road.

And seniorita, your post was fabulous!! You brought some of the excitement of being there live to us and it is so much fun to read your report. I loved what you said about Kevin Reynolds. I agree that he's painful to watch! All you posters who want quads to be the be-all and end-all of skating competitions, be careful what you wish for. You could get a dozen Kevin Reynolds! :laugh:

And Patrick, ok I see all the goodies he has, amazing flow, the program was very good (i think i noted his program is the most complete choreographically of all the programs I saw) but he still cannot travel me anywhere off my seat, he is like dedicated so much in his choreo and what he is doing that he doesnt make room for him to shine, I think i saw tonight the Phantom but nothing of Patrick Chan! If I make sense, i think he needs to add his personal touch to what he is given to skate.

I like what you say about Patrick. It's very fair. Your idioms are so cute too! He 'cannot travel [you] off [your] seat'. So descriptive. :) I agree that Joubert is a great showman, and that's important in a competition. What we always have to remember though is that this is a skating competition and other than his quads, he doesn't quite measure up. Still, it was very nice to see him rebound so strongly from his disastrous Olympics. And I'm glad you enjoyed Dai's performance. It's always nice to see the winner deserve his gold medal.

Now I'm looking forward to your comments about the ladies. Enjoy. :)

ARipp42014

Medalist
Nice review, Senorita! We even had popcorn (among other snacks) in your honor yesterday! Everyone here was about to have an epic meltdown if Chiddy would've won but Dice-K saved the day and everyone's happy here!

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Love your comment Seniorita!!! I wonder what the FS competition would be like if we have half Kevin R. and half Mr.Deadeyes like skaters. lol
I totally agree about PChan. When he was coming out of junior rank back in 2007-2008, he was like wow. Now his skating is just too much of everything and all the technicals stuffs, transactions, jumps are just way too crowded. I just wish he relax more and be a little showman. Isn't it what FS is all about?? lol

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
To me, Jeremy always looks like he either just cried or is about to cry.

so true he always has a mixture of terror and depression in his eyes... makes you wonder what it is about skating he enjoys :laugh:

Wicked

Final Flight
so true he always has a mixture of terror and depression in his eyes... makes you wonder what it is about skating he enjoys :laugh:

I think this really hurts him with the judges. He needs to get out there looking confident. Please get a sports psychologist, Jeremy!

jennylovskt

Medalist
Unless Jeremy is confident enough to feel that he owns the podium and he belongs on the podium, like how he felt at the Nationals, this stage-fright in the international competitions will continue.:scowl: However, it has made him more lovable.:biggrin: So sad for him! He is one of the best in the world but he just couldn't deliver it.:cry:

Thank you, Seniorita! You know I value your opinion greatly.:)

Last edited:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

He's just intense and quiet, always searching for his focus in the moment of competition. We all have different personalities. Abbott needs to believe in himself and trust his training more when he's competing under pressure. He's so talented and it would be a real shame to see all that potential go unfulfilled in international competition. This is the same guy who defeated the reigning World champ and the would-be Olympic champ at the most stressful event of the season for US skaters, the Olympic trials, by a whopping 25 points, so he has all he needs to fully succeed. He needs to deliver it all consistently though, so he can earn the full respect of the ISU judges.

Last edited:
Seniorita, I so enjoyed your report! It made me feel as though I were there in the seats. I can't wait to read what you have to say about the ladies' long program--or anything else you attend.

I'm so glad to hear that everyone cheered Daisuke. He truly seems like one of those skaters who belongs to the world; he transcends national followings. May he stay healthy and strong for a long time to come!

jennylovskt

Medalist
I've rewatched Jeremy's LP on Youtube. It wasn't bad at all. He skated with a lot of energy and attack in the second half of the program. That regretable 2A!:disapp: His quad's successful rate was still very low. Good for him to put it out there every time! The thing is we are not satisfied with him in the 5th place. We are not satisfied with him off the podium at all because he is that good, he should belong on the podium, nothing less. So frustrated.:scowl:

Last edited: