Page 46 of 53 FirstFirst ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 LastLast

Thread: MENS LP and the Results

Rinkside
    I really wish Jeremy get coached by Brian Orser. David Wilson will loosen his anxiety and Orser will help him with confidence as they did to Yuna. He has everything but nerve. Maybe he should be coached by prushenko, the king of confidence... sigh.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lksunga View Post
    I really wish Jeremy get coached by Brian Orser. David Wilson will loosen his anxiety and Orser will help him with confidence as they did to Yuna. He has everything but nerve. Maybe he should be coached by prushenko, the king of confidence... sigh.
    It's okay, he seems to be managing. He'll likely retire soon, he'll be 29 when Sochi rolls around. He seemed happy with his 5th place finish and I'm proud of him for keeping it together in the LP after making those mistakes early on.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudkicker09 View Post
    With that performance Chan BELONGS in 2nd at best or 3rd. Brian had a better technical jump program and landed 2 quads AND a triple axel Pchiddy DID NOT!!!!!
    I am so furious that Patrick Chan was overmarked again. He should not have finished ahead of Joubert!

Is there any way to stop this or is this going to continue at every event?

On cloud nine and refusing to come down!
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    See, when you put it down on paper, it really isn't hard to see the why and what not. I just wish people would think more before they open their mouth.
    Wally, I really appreciate your comments on the technical aspects of FS. It's very useful in understanding why skaters are scored as such in the TES. Thank you!

Custom Title
    Enought about Mr. Dead Eyes!! Can we talk about someone else??? lol

I'm wondering what wll happen for Oda. since we failed to reach free skate, does it mean he wouldnt be eligible for any grand prix assignments??

Custom Title
    Plushenko and Cohen were invited to events. Doesn't that depend on the Japanese federation. He won TEB and Coc and won silver at the GPF.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudkicker09 View Post
    It's the offical the sport is dying Pchiddy with a crap performance like that gets first when BRian lands 2 quads, a triple axel, and pcrappy was off more than he was on.
    I am so angry tonight that Chan finished as high as he did. Unless the ISU is forced to increase the value of the quad and start recognizing what's important in men's skating, I am going to have to agree with Elvis Stojko's comments earlier this year. I can really understand Stojko's frustration now.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaDes View Post
    It is funny!! The same people who say that Brian should have been ahead of Patrick because of the quad also say that Brezina should have been ahead. LOOK AT THE PROTOCOLS!! Patrick did 2 triple axels, 2 triple lutzs and a triple flip/triple toe and Brezina did 2 triple axels, 2 triple flips, no triple/triples and did 2 double axels. The Base Values were 74.70 for Chan vs 69.21 for Brezina. It's called working the system. Patrick does more triples and therefore get more points to start with. Learn and love the system!!
    Patrick made a mistake on one of his triple axels.

And the point about triples and quads is that the quad needs to be given more value so that doing it, and particularly doing two of them, gives a skater a higher base value. We now have a system where a skater like Chan doesn't even do a single quad in a program or even bother attempting one!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderlen3000 View Post
    Enought about Mr. Dead Eyes!! Can we talk about someone else??? lol

I'm wondering what wll happen for Oda. since we failed to reach free skate, does it mean he wouldnt be eligible for any grand prix assignments??
    No, he would still qualify based on his season's best total score at an ISU sanctioned competition as the ISU will use that score and compare it to the top 12th skaters in the 2010 Worlds. Since his season's best is clearly better than most skaters in the top 12, he will have no problem getting two GP assignments, though, not necessarily his first choices however. Same thing goes for Plushenko, Lysacek and Weir should they want to take part in the next GP season.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderlen3000 View Post
    Enought about Mr. Dead Eyes!! Can we talk about someone else???
    eh...no, just to make you go crazy, a fun trivia fact about Chan. He is actually the youngest male skater among the top 10 in the 2010 Worlds, younger than Rippon and Brezina. Shocking eh? Considering he has been around for some time now, we tend to forget he is still younger than some of the men who are just breaking into the senior rank now...

skating philosopher
    Just watched the TV coverage again on US. I could watch Dice-K over and over again. My husband, who isn't into FS at all just said "Wow!"

And I just looked up DIce-K's 2007 Phantom program! With classic Dick Button commentary! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1627N_mJDc

ETA: Paul Wylie says at the end of the program, "This is such a great moment in a skater's career.." Little did he know what would happen three years later.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 03-26-2010 at 12:15 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
    To me, Jeremy always looks like he either just cried or is about to cry.
    I sometimes feel like giving Jeremy a hug. He often looks so fragile.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaDes View Post
    Patrick hasn't had that many meltdowns. And to say that his resume isn't glowing is insulting. He is 19 years old. Many of his competitors are 5+ year older than him and his is still beating them. Let's not forget he is the 2-time World Silver medalist who was the world JUNIOR silver medalist 3 years ago. He was the national junior champion in 05 and competed in his first senior nationals in 06. Lysacek, Joubert, Oda & Takahashi were all competing at the worlds or olympics in 06. Patrick is the future of mens skating and once he adds the quad....WATCH OUT!!
    At this point I don't see Patrick Chan being able to do the quad. I think he is going to follow in the footsteps of Jeffrey Buttle in that regard.

Originally Posted by DivaDes
    Patrick hasn't had that many meltdowns. And to say that his resume isn't glowing is insulting. He is 19 years old. Many of his competitors are 5+ year older than him and his is still beating them. Let's not forget he is the 2-time World Silver medalist who was the world JUNIOR silver medalist 3 years ago. He was the national junior champion in 05 and competed in his first senior nationals in 06. Lysacek, Joubert, Oda & Takahashi were all competing at the worlds or olympics in 06. Patrick is the future of mens skating and once he adds the quad....WATCH OUT!!
    Well it helps that he's competiting for Canada-a powerful federation and that he doesn't exactly have a strong men's field in Canada. But it was strong enough when he was starting off where at least someone like Jeff was ensuring they got 2 spots. Poor Brezina lost out on Senior Worlds last year because Tomas imploded in 2008. Just like with Kostner vs Marcheti. There was no way Brezina was making the world team over Tomas.... (Of course he's now undisputedly no 1 for the Czechs at this moment...)

And then there is Kozuka/Oda having to deal with being behind Daisuke. Or Adam having to deal with just making the team in a strong field. Is not like Chan hasn't had some advantages politically and experience wise.
    Chan has excellent flexibility in his spins and has that theatrical presence.
    I just don't agree about Chan having this theatrical presence. If anything I think that facial expression and reaching the crowd are the things with Chan's skating that he needs to work on. I mean when you compare Chan to Daisuke and even Joubert-he's no where near the performers those two are. And yes while Chan does have better transitions/harder in between content/better music. It doesn't make him a better performer than Joubert.
    Last edited by bekalc; 03-26-2010 at 12:53 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bekalc View Post
    Well it helps that he's competiting for Canada-a powerful federation. Do you seriously think Chan would have the results he's had if he had to deal with let's say being no 2 in a country behind Daisuke.
    Funny, Korea is not a powerful nation as far as figure skating is concerned, yet somehow Yu-Na Kim seems to manage just fine. Do you have a political explanation for that as well or should I rather believe as numerous youtube clips claim, it's due to Korean money that bought Kim where she is today?

Page 46 of 53 FirstFirst ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 LastLast