Page 48 of 53 FirstFirst ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 LastLast
Results 706 to 720 of 782

Thread: MENS LP and the Results

  1. #706
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,818
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    People have brought up valid crticism after criticism against this guy and you just take them as them "bashing him." There was only one poster that actually said some out of line comments, I think everyone else have spent a lot of good time outlining their opinion. And likewise they took the time to read your posts (which I appreciated, by the way).
    Only one poster? Seriously, do you want to bet on that? I can find in this thread alone at least 10 people who used inappropriate language - not constructive criticism as you claimed, to describe Chan and many of those comments not related to his skating whatsoever. In fact, what I noticed a lot and like I asked you earlier, is that if you can please outline your actual arguments, which you still haven't done so. All I hear is X or Y is bad or robbed or outrageous overscored, not limited to just Chan. Such generic comment is not deem constructive, they are bashing because they offer unsupported statements that serve no other purpose but to put down the skaters in question. Frankly, when someone on this forum invited me to come cover from Icenetwork, I reluctanctly agreed to pay a visit but to be honest, I am shell shocked by the animosity that many people displayed here towards many skaters, not limited to just Chan. In just two days, I had to put three posters on ignore. I think you need to revise what's deem a constructive criticism because I think your definition doesn't resemble anything I am familiar with. Claiming that a skater is consistently overmarked and he is the pet of the judges is not constructive criticism. Do you want to count how many people refered to Patrick Chan as the judges' pet and the judges will drop him as soon as they found a new one in this thread alone? This reference is extremely disrespectful and can be implied to mean something else entirely and not a good one.

    I am still waiting for your "constructive criticism" that you still haven't outlined yet. But if you don't feel you can do it, that's fine too. I won't think any less of you, we are all entitled to our opinions whether we can justify it or not. I feel compelled however to defend Chan, not because I am rooting for him but because I am shell shocked at how people here bashed him like he just raped somebody. Clearly, I am also not alone to think he has been bashed here.

  2. #707
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,818
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    One last thought:
    Look PChiddy is only 19. He's got time on his side. If the worse he gets is two silver medals and a bunch of critical posts on a message board, I think he (and his fans) can sleep well at night. It will be a good four years seeing who will rock the house and I have no doubt that PChiddy will figure out his triple axel thing and then become unbeatable. And if he get's the performance bug of Dice-K...then goodness!!!!!!!! that would be awesome.

    Enjoy reading the debate, folks.
    With all due respect, the skater's name is Patrick Chan, not PChiddy. He is 19 year old, an adult, he doesn't need pet name or cute name that is used to diminish him or anything with pejorative meaning. Same thing goes for all skaters. Frankly, the amount of these silly pet names here for various skaters isn't even funny. It's disrespectful if not downright rude and it also hurts the credibility of whoever who used it. If this is your version of "constructive criticism", I have to say this is something I can't learn from you.

  3. #708
    "Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Storybrooke, Maine
    Posts
    3,674
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    With all due respect, the skater's name is Patrick Chan, not PChiddy. He is 19 year old, an adult, he doesn't need pet name or cute name that is used to diminish him or anything with pejorative meaning. Same thing goes for all skaters. Frankly, the amount of these silly pet names here for various skaters isn't even funny. It's disrespectful if not downright rude and it also hurts the credibility of whoever who used it. If this is your version of "constructive criticism", I have to say this is something I can't learn from you.
    I guess Patrick "diminishes" and "disrespects" himself then because if you've ever taken a look at his official Twitter page, his handle/nickname for himself is PChiddy. Link: http://twitter.com/pchiddy

  4. #709
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    With all due respect, the skater's name is Patrick Chan, not PChiddy. He is 19 year old, an adult, he doesn't need pet name or cute name that is used to diminish him or anything with pejorative meaning. Same thing goes for all skaters. Frankly, the amount of these silly pet names here for various skaters isn't even funny. It's disrespectful if not downright rude and it also hurts the credibility of whoever who used it. If this is your version of "constructive criticism", I have to say this is something I can't learn from you.
    I feel so bad you're starting to be really upset by the posters! PChiddy is actually Patrick's twitter name, so I think Mrs. P probably meant no disrespect by that. But I share your frustration and feel that many previous posts were intentionally hurtful and disrespectful. However, it's probably not worth being upset by them, right? Anyhow, I'm sure many also appreciate your interventions. Please rest well and stay well!

  5. #710
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,214
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Only one poster? Seriously, do you want to bet on that? I can find in this thread alone at least 10 people who used inappropriate language - not constructive criticism as you claimed, to describe Chan and many of those comments not related to his skating whatsoever. In fact, what I noticed a lot and like I asked you earlier, is that if you can please outline your actual arguments, which you still haven't done so. All I hear is X or Y is bad or robbed or outrageous overscored, not limited to just Chan. Such generic comment is not deem constructive, they are bashing because they offer unsupported statements that serve no other purpose but to put down the skaters in question. Frankly, when someone on this forum invited me to come cover from Icenetwork, I reluctanctly agreed to pay a visit but to be honest, I am shell shocked by the animosity that many people displayed here towards many skaters, not limited to just Chan. In just two days, I had to put three posters on ignore. I think you need to revise what's deem a constructive criticism because I think your definition doesn't resemble anything I am familiar with. Claiming that a skater is consistently overmarked and he is the pet of the judges is not constructive criticism. Do you want to count how many people refered to Patrick Chan as the judges' pet and the judges will drop him as soon as they found a new one in this thread alone? This reference is extremely disrespectful and can be implied to mean something else entirely and not a good one.

    I am still waiting for your "constructive criticism" that you still haven't outlined yet. But if you don't feel you can do it, that's fine too. I won't think any less of you, we are all entitled to our opinions whether we can justify it or not. I feel compelled however to defend Chan, not because I am rooting for him but because I am shell shocked at how people here bashed him like he just raped somebody. Clearly, I am also not alone to think he has been bashed here.
    This is why I refer to posters, not to me. I am well aware that I have not brought up any specfic topics. But honestly, I didn't want to because I felt other posters already mentioned all of the crticism I have about in Chan in this thread. Why repeat it? You've already taken the time to respond to those posters, so I'm not going to make you say the same thing again to me. Maybe that makes me a bad discussion board poster, but honestly I believe in leaving well enough alone. Most of my activity has been reading posts, as opposed to responding.

    But I do feel you're lumping some folks (like Becklc) who did provide what you wanted into this "haters pool." Becklc and some other folks have given you specfic things they didn't like or why he felt they were overscored. I agree that some of the comments were uncalled for, but I think that people have made some really good points in here too. And several posters certainly appreciated your posts and your knowledge, so doesn't that make it good somehow?

    Yes, people on these boards can be really nasty. I won't forget when Vic Evora just freaked out when he saw all the really crappy posts about his daugher and her partner. But I think also that people can get really heated and say things that seem illogical or inappropriate. We have really great mods on here (mathman, Doris, Tonichelle!) who will make sure that things don't get out of hand. And I think you will fine that most of the people on this board are actually great people who bring a lot of interesting discussion to the mix.

  6. #711
    Custom Title bekalc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,083
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Voronov is pretty good skater, he even landed a clean Quad in Torino in both his SP and LP. You think he is not a good skater? I think he is very good skater. Too bad, Russia, arguably, the most powerful figure skating federation of all can't somehow political him to Top 10 as you suggest powerful federations can do.
    Where did I say Chan was just a "pretty good skater?" I don't think I ever said that. I think Chan's a fine skater. He's the best young skater around right now. But at times many of us feel Patrick gets scores that he doesn't deserve. For example I don't have so much of a problem with his silver medal here. I agree he's better than Brezina now, and Joubert had his issues too.

    BUT, Patrick didn't deserve to finish ahead of Kozuka for example at the Olympics. And okay I get that Chan is a world silver medalist and all. But Patrick was getting a lot of really big scores at competitions, before he was a world silver medalist. I mean look at his Skate Canada 2008 win. He did some really not so great technical content but got HUGE PCS. Or his beating Kozuka in the free in Paris in 2008 due to huge PCS. And yes Patrick has more transitions and is a great basic skater. But its not like Kozuka is horrible at these issues. And Kozuka did a LOT more jump wise at that competition. Or Patrick's HUGE scores at Four Continents. Way higher PCS than Evan and TES that were huge as well and Evan did more technical content. I didn't disagree with Patrick's win at Four Continents-but the scores? Meh. Meh. Meh.

    Yes Yu-na Kim gets high scores. But she wasn't winning competitions do to HUGE PCS gaps until she had already established herself as a consistent competitor technically first. And that's what makes people annoyed with Patrick because its just not the case with Chan.

    And then there's the whole; he's an all around skater talk when the boy doesn't even have a consistent triple axel. And him saying someday skaters will be more like me! Well I say to myself I hope to God that future skaters will have a consistent triple axel. And I think thats the main thing. The words that come out of Chan's mouth don't endear him to the public.

    And as for me saying he's not the best at everything. I'm just saying he's not that because thats what a lot of the Chan hype is saying about him, and I'm tired of it. He's a very good skater. And I think if his jumps continue to improve and his artistry/performance levels improve he could totally dominate. But I'm sick of the hype. And the huge scores-no matter what he does. Clearly jumps need to be more rewarded in this system.

  7. #712
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,818
    Ah, twitter, I don't use it. Thanks for pointing that out, so I'll take that back then. Patrick Chan...still a big kid even though he is an adult already. Kids these days...t's frustrating yet funny at the same time. :sheesh:

  8. #713
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,214
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    With all due respect, the skater's name is Patrick Chan, not PChiddy. He is 19 year old, an adult, he doesn't need pet name or cute name that is used to diminish him or anything with pejorative meaning. Same thing goes for all skaters. Frankly, the amount of these silly pet names here for various skaters isn't even funny. It's disrespectful if not downright rude and it also hurts the credibility of whoever who used it. If this is your version of "constructive criticism", I have to say this is something I can't learn from you.
    Uhhh... wow. OK. But as others said here...I was just referring him as he calls himself on Twitter. Personally I think it's a pretty awesome name. Never meant any disrespect. A bunch of the skaters have fun names... D-10 (Denis Ten) Dice-K (Daisuke) Johnny Gaga (Johnny Weir). It's actually kind of homage to these skaters. I'm sorry if you feel otherwise.

  9. #714
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,818
    It's getting late here in the west coast, I am going to reply to the questions / comments addressed to me sometime tomorrow.

  10. #715
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,818
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Uhhh... wow. OK. But as others said here...I was just referring him as he calls himself on Twitter. Personally I think it's a pretty awesome name. Never meant any disrespect. A bunch of the skaters have fun names... D-10 (Denis Ten) Dice-K (Daisuke) Johnny Gaga (Johnny Weir). It's actually kind of homage to these skaters. I'm sorry if you feel otherwise.
    Sorry, I already took that back. I apologize for any misunderstanding this may cause.

  11. #716
    Custom Title bekalc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,083
    In fact Wally I think in someways the reaction to Chan is a Kostner affect. Carolina Kostner has a lot of excellent qualities in terms of basic skating that are reasons why the judges give Kostner normally high PCS. But in a lot of cases she'll get these PCS even when she skates messy.

    Well it similar with Chan he has things over the other men that DO make him special. But a lot of timse he gets really high scores when he delivers messy performances (not as messy as Kostners but messy) and without delivering some technical content (like triple axels) which is pretty standard for men. And people aren't liking it. It doesn't help that while Chan is an incredible basic skater, his skating doesn't exactly have the balletic quality of John Curry. Nor does he move like Lambiel or Daisuke when it comes to his upper body or perform like them.

    I actually do enjoy a lot of aspects of watching Patrick skate but I also love watching Kozuka moves his blades too. And when I see Patrick get these huges scores. And the judges not even giving Kozuka huge scores for Skating skills. (the boy deserves 8s or 9s) I'm sorry I get angry. Chan's better than Kozuka but it would be nice to see Kozuka get credit he deserves.

  12. #717
    Eville Eastern Bloc Poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Editville
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan O View Post
    I know. It's just incredible. To give Patrick Chan 160 points for a program like that is ridiculous. When you don't even have a single quad in a program and then make mistakes on other jumps as well, you should not be placing that high. Chan should have finished 3rd.

    He is the most overmarked skater of the week - K&S in the pairs event are also up there as the other big beneficiaries of ridiculous judging this week.
    ... of the WEEK? He's the most overmarked skater for 1.000.000 years! :boohoo:

  13. #718
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    798
    What I would like to know is, if Joubert had not fallen on the triple lutz, would the judges still have placed him behind Patrick Chan? If Joubert were to skate a clean program with no mistakes and 2 quads, would he still place behind a flawed Chan program?

  14. #719
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Posts
    3,562
    All in all this was a kind of splatfest, I enjoyed watching the sp much more. Anyway, Takahashi deserved to win and I´m happy that he did not fall as he tried the quadflip which ended being a triple flip, LOL.

    I also really liked Chan´s skating this time, starting to get what the judges are seeing in him...

    Abbott, what should one say? Is he a headcase or just peaked too early? Such a huge pity that he performed his best performances of the season at the US Nationals... To me he looked extremely nervous in Turin as he waited for the fs music to start.

    Rippon, I really love his skating, will be wonderful to follow his career next season... Great that US managed to win 3 slots for next WC.

    Joubert is still getting way too high PCS scores, what is the matter with the judges!!! Anyway, I was glad for his bronze medal.

    Quote Originally Posted by purplegirl View Post
    I feel so bad you're starting to be really upset by the posters! PChiddy is actually Patrick's twitter name, so I think Mrs. P probably meant no disrespect by that.
    Since this is a skating forum I sure wish that people would use of the skaters the names under which they are competing at skating competitions and not the ones they are using on some twitter. Sometimes it is hard to even remember the real names of all skaters and it gets really confusing if we will be in a situation where of many skaters also a twitter name is used....
    Last edited by Jaana; 03-26-2010 at 03:45 AM.

  15. #720
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    798
    Most of the time people do refer to him as Patrick Chan, but I don't think there's anything wrong with people referring to him by his nickname, since he calls himself that on his own website.

Page 48 of 53 FirstFirst ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •