Free Dance | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Free Dance

C

chillyfranz

The emotion D&W go through isnt really done well though at all, i think they should not win the FD.

I think it's unfair to say since D&W have done lots of free dances the same in the past 3 years....technically are quite good. And I hope they can do better because they don't even deserve the 1st here.

mishieru07

On the Ice
Thanks, have never watched them. I will take a look on YT sometime for them.

They're VERY good for juniors. Caught my attention the way baby D/W and V/M did.

Russian fed should start pushing for them; they're far more talented than any of the current senior teams imo.

Now that all is said and done, can the skate gods convince both D/W and V/M to stay in? And that if they do, they'll experiment with other styles? I'm dying to see a voidy dance from V/M again.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The only problem I have with V/M is that except for last season, they have been playing the same roles for the past 4 years : young couple, deeply in love. I don't think they have challenged themselves out of their comfort zone. And they most likely never will, if they retire as I pretty much expect they will.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
I am so loving the judging here. It's been impressively fair, for the most part. C/P skated well, and they were rewarded with a good score. Meryl & Charlie were cleaner in the FD then Virtue & Moir, and they deservedly won that segment. Virtue & Moir were better over the entire course of the competition, and won, but just barely. It's awesome to see the system working like this. Congrats to Davis/White & Virtue/Moir. It looks like my dream rivalry is still alive and well :).

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to V/M, D/W and F/S. Beautiful ice dancing from the top teams and a great competition over all. I am a little disappointed that Meryl and Charlie did not take Gold. I was rooting for them and gave them a standing O after their FD.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I think D&W were superior enough in the FD to have made up the 2 points difference, and should've taken the Gold overall IMO. They were technically better and gave a much sharper performance tonight.

I also thought the French were way better than F&S, and can't understand how F&S beat them in every single component score - even Performance. :think:
That was the best FD the French have skated, better than their performances of this routine last season. :clap: It was lovely and charming and technically precise. Enough to win Bronze.

The Judging here wasn't as good as in Vancouver, that's for sure.

simplymyself

Spectator
Why did La Khokh withdraw? And accord to Ice Skating International, he has a "hereditary" illness and they are retiring! Is this true? (And if this has already been answered sorry for asking.)

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
So happy for Virtue/Moir, Davis/White and Crone/Poirier. Hate the Zaretski's as a team, but they certainly feel this program (but can you imagine it in the hands of more talented skaters)? Glad F/S won bronze even when they weren't on - they have two great programs. Sorry for C/L, but they'll come back strong next season. Look forward to seeing where the Golden Quartet from Canton take us next.

samba

On the Ice
I prefer V/M than D/W. V/M are very very smooth and beautiful on ice. D/W are very fast which at times made them look sloppy, particularly Charlie. I felt that P/B should win Bronze. BTW, Belbin talked too much when P/B skated which annoyed me. However, she shut up when her boyfriend skated.

Sk8n Mama

Final Flight
Yay for Tessa and Scott who just silenced those who felt they won OGM due to the "Canadian Boost". You deserved it kids!

I dunno, watching Virtue and Moir dance to Mahler's 5th even with an error, is a total emotional experience for me. I hope no one else uses that music.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
That's funny...on Bold's coverage , PJ said K/N said they withdrew because of recurrence of his knee injury and he wouldn't want to risk his partner's safety...:rolleye: Hmmmmmm....

Bravo again , V/M and D/W ! I just want this to go on and on...

Great job C/P and S/B

I'm really fond of B/S ,but didn't like their so, so sombre free program..even though there are some lovely things in it.

M/R skated their Peer Gynt program beautifully. More lovely choreo from Zueva.

Edit : Forgot to mention..I couldn't bear to watch Anna Capellini after their disaster..poor baby . I hope she rebounds soon.

Last edited:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Looking at the final score there was more than 25 points between 2nd and 3rd, what teams can bring that gap in between now and Sochi? Looks like it's going to be a US/Canada battle for the next few years.

Dissapointing season for K/N, they have really been dumped by the judges. Where do they go from here?

To bridge the gap - Pechalat and Bourzat if they stick around, Cappellini and Lanotte, Zaretskys if they stay, Crone and Poirier, Samuelson and Bates, Bobrova and Soloviev..

I'm doubtful about this injury thing.. I mean, I believe there IS an injury but I don't believe that's completely the reason for retirement. I think K&N realize that they're never going to get much better. I almost think that their bronze in 08 was arranged for them by the Russian Fed, and that's the only reason why they got it, then the fed decided to not care about them anymore.

herios

Medalist
Omg.. amazing.. D&W

I just thought of something. C&P are doing better than in Vancouver. S&B and N&B seem to be getting low scores. Does that mean D&W are going to be above V&M? :think:
Where are you coming up with these theories? You guys are ridiculous. Can't you ever imagine that some teams just skate better than before, or worst ???

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
No. If my favourites do well, it's because of fair judging. If they don't, it's because of politicking.

More seriously, I still can't believe that in only four seasons, Virtue and Moir now have a complete set of World Medals and the Olympic Gold. I have to echo Joesitz, even flawed, "Adagietto" is hypnotic. Their purity of expression is the best in the world and there's no team that feels the music as deeply. And they're coming scarily close to the perfect PCS mark: mathematically, no FD can beat 60 points. They got 57.93. And while I don't think it'll ever happen (can you imagine seven of nine judges giving tens on each component?), that should be their new goal.

My hope for their future: they skate next season. After a close battle, Davis/White win worlds. If V/M win worlds next year, I think they'll be done. So they skate for the 2012 Worlds in Nice. By this time, they've announced that Canada has the 2013 Worlds. They win 2012, but decide to continue onto 2013. The top two are still the Canton quartet, but bronze has been rotating (I haven't thought it through yet who wins bronze). They come second in 2013, to D/W (of course). So, losing in front of the home town crowd has lit a fire in them (see Davis/White post LA in 2009) and they barnstorm Sochi, winning all both portions and becoming the first ice dancers to defend an Olympic Gold Medal.

Oh, something funny: only one team in the top ten was weighed the same across the board - Samuelson/Bates. They were tenth in each phase. They were ninth overall, though.

wallylutz

Medalist
No. If my favourites do well, it's because of fair judging. If they don't, it's because of politicking.

More seriously, I still can't believe that in only four seasons, Virtue and Moir now have a complete set of World Medals and the Olympic Gold. I have to echo Joesitz, even flawed, "Adagietto" is hypnotic. Their purity of expression is the best in the world and there's no team that feels the music as deeply. And they're coming scarily close to the perfect PCS mark: mathematically, no FD can beat 60 points. They got 57.93. And while I don't think it'll ever happen (can you imagine seven of nine judges giving tens on each component?), that should be their new goal.

My hope for their future: they skate next season. After a close battle, Davis/White win worlds. If V/M win worlds next year, I think they'll be done. So they skate for the 2012 Worlds in Nice. By this time, they've announced that Canada has the 2013 Worlds. They win 2012, but decide to continue onto 2013. The top two are still the Canton quartet, but bronze has been rotating (I haven't thought it through yet who wins bronze). They come second in 2013, to D/W (of course). So, losing in front of the home town crowd has lit a fire in them (see Davis/White post LA in 2009) and they barnstorm Sochi, winning all both portions and becoming the first ice dancers to defend an Olympic Gold Medal.

Oh, something funny: only one team in the top ten was weighed the same across the board - Samuelson/Bates. They were tenth in each phase. They were ninth overall, though.

Interesting imagination...except, Grishuck/Platove already defended their Olympic Gold Medal in Ice Dance in 1998....