Free Dance | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Free Dance

BigJohn

On the Ice
Were they the ones who did that horrendous jitterbug and beat out Torvill and Dean?

Even more questionable than beating T&D patchwork of réchauffé, they beat Usova & Zhulin for gold. Lillehammer had terrible judging in pretty much all disciplines. 2010 was much better for dance.

I'd be thrilled if both V/M and D/W stayed for 4 more years.

herios

Medalist
Even more questionable than beating T&D patchwork of réchauffé, they beat Usova & Zhulin for gold. Lillehammer had terrible judging in pretty much all disciplines. 2010 was much better for dance.

I'd be thrilled if both V/M and D/W stayed for 4 more years.
Four years commitment is a long time. Especially at this moment. All 4 of them are around 20-23 years of age and their life is ahead of them. Many things could happen. These questions if they will stay in for Sochi are silly imo. Give them some room to let all sink in through the summer.
I saw interviews with both V/M and D/W on CBC yesterday, V/M said there is a lot to experiment and try in the futur, new styles, musci and push the envelope generally speaking, while Charlie joked saying they will skate 12 more years:laugh:
Silly question, silly response

Last edited:

herios

Medalist
Very nice for C/P, seemed a little far apart on twizzles, think they have good edges.
Crone and Poirier have GREAT edges. Look at their technical mark, they were 4th in both the OD and FD, despite finishing 7th. Ink them for the next big team and if the NA sweep didn't happen this time around, in 2-3 years is possible if the top 2 stay in and C/P grow artistically. You heard it here for the first time, and you can put this message aside and hold me countable in the future for it.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Good judging in the free dance. I believe that it was correct to have the americans first and the french 3rd. USA has 3 spots next year!

I agree. Best judged event of the competition.
I was blown away by just how well Virtue and Moir and Davis and White skated throughuout the event. The Freedance was the best Ice Dance competition I have ever seen and both performances just left me cheering in amazement. I have never seen Davis and White skate like that and for Virtue and Moir to follow that performance their own sublime skate was just wonderful to see. I think it could have gone either way, I have no problem at all with Virtue and Moir winning. They skate as if they are on clouds, not on ice.
For F&S to finally win a medal at home, skating so well was touching. Great to see.

It was tragic to see Anna Capollni just break down and cry her heart out on the ice after her fall. So sad but it showed how much she wanted it. I hope they come back strong next season...I love this team.

I am surprised that Crone and Poirier score as well as they do. The first time I saw them I thought they looked like two singles skaters, but a dance team before I even learned that they did in fact skate singles for most of their careers. I do really like the program and music choice as Tanith said, but for me they are not near Samuelson and Bates.

Last edited:

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I think Crone and Poirier were a little undermarked at the Olympics. Paul appears to be the strongest of the two from what I can tell, as he has the deepest edges and the longest extension, as well as the most expression. I was glad that they finished higher at this event, although I didn't expect them to finish quite so high.

Their long program is the most beautiful and lyrical in the whole competition IMO, even if it isn't as well-skated as the top teams. The music, and the story they are telling of Orpheus and Eurydice in the Greek underworld gives the program a quality that none of the other teams have.

Indeed, Usova and Zhulin could have won, and I would not have objected, but those jitterbugers were so full of hollywood nonsense, that the swing music was lost. Have you noticed that jitterbugging has never been used again.

I think Crone and Poirier were a little undermarked at the Olympics. Paul appears to be the strongest of the two from what I can tell, as he has the deepest edges and the longest extension, as well as the most expression. I was glad that they finished higher at this event, although I didn't expect them to finish quite so high.
They are a first rate team, imo, but will probably have to wait for the podium since no dance team rushes to the podium quickly even if they deserve it.
Their long program is the most beautiful and lyrical in the whole competition IMO, even if it isn't as well-skated
as the top teams. The music, and the story they are telling of Orpheus and Eurydice in the Greek underworld gives the program a quality that none of the other teams have.

BigJohn

On the Ice
I think Crone and Poirier were a little undermarked at the Olympics.

A little?

Indeed, Usova and Zhulin could have won, and I would not have objected, but those jitterbugers were so full of hollywood nonsense, that the swing music was lost. Have you noticed that jitterbugging has never been used again.

I don't think many teams could pull it off.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
A little?

I wonder if one of the reasons C&P got more generous marks from the judges at Worlds is because they realized they undermarked C&P at the Olympics?

Btw, do Paul Poirier and Charlie White and/or their coaches deliberately pick costumes that show off their chest hair? ;)

BigJohn

On the Ice
Btw, do Paul Poirier and Charlie White and/or their coaches deliberately pick costumes that show off their chest hair? ;)

Charlie is meh, but Paul... Just a few years from now, he'll be able to reproduce the 70s Burt Reynolds lying on a bear skin photoshoot from the magazine for naughty women (who like to Play and are girls). One would hope anyway.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Charlie is meh, but Paul... Just a few years from now, he'll be able to reproduce the 70s Burt Reynolds lying on a bear skin photoshoot from the magazine for naughty women (who like to Play and are girls). One would hope anyway.

Neither Charlie nor Paul has a very hairy chest, but it seems like they have just a little bit of hair. It looks good on them though. It makes a nice change from the guys who shave it all the time.

herios

Medalist
I wonder if one of the reasons C&P got more generous marks from the judges at Worlds is because they realized they undermarked C&P at the Olympics?
Vanessa and Paul skated smoother and more in synch at the Worlds. You have to realize the judges are marking sometimes what goes on the ice.