Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 73

Thread: Jamie Sale comments on Johnny Weir

  1. #1
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    215

    Jamie Sale comments on Johnny Weir


  2. #2
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    South Korea
    Posts
    267
    She really makes me sick. And to think I was a fan once. Anti-american??? represents MEN'S figure skating which is taking a hit??, feathers and fluffy stuff??, makes stories? I'm sorry but wearing a freaking Russian jacket doesn't make you anti-American anymore than Orser wearing a Korean jacket makes him anti-Canadian.

  3. #3
    The Ice is Slippery SK8LUVR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    213
    I like Johnny! However, I think that she has some valid points and she did keep saying, "This is MY opinion". So she is giving her opinion and it is not popular with everyone. That is the problem in society right now. Everyone wants to hear what other people think and then when they say something that is controversial then the comments start.

    Let it go....Jamie is not the voice of men's skating.

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by SK8LUVR View Post
    I like Johnny! However, I think that she has some valid points and she did keep saying, "This is MY opinion". So she is giving her opinion and it is not popular with everyone. That is the problem in society right now. Everyone wants to hear what other people think and then when they say something that is controversial then the comments start.

    Let it go....Jamie is not the voice of men's skating.
    :frown2: So what are the valid points???

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    318
    the noise machine rattles on

  6. #6
    Custom Title Joesitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    20,185
    I just like his skating and I do not like his costumes. Waiting for him to put some color in the material.

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,609
    1. She basically calls him an attention seeker. And given his comments about PETA/fur, I don't think she's out of line or indeed wrong.

    2. He's not a good representation for men's figure skating (emphasis hers). This is stupid. Again, I don't think she's entirely wrong in what she says, but honestly, he doesn't fit the traditional masculine stereotype. It's unfair because that stereotype is outdated and really stupid, but it still percolates. But essentially, she calls him too queer (and I'm using this in the academic sense of the word, but if this needs to be edited/delete, I apologize, but I hope a mod will let me know).

    3. The Russian thing? Eh, empty Cold War-ist dialogue. Wearing Russian jackets when representing the US isn't particularly tactful, though.

    4. Prefacing something with "it's just my opinion" doesn't make it any less wrong and/or stupid.

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,560
    Ok, again, what is wrong with Jamie Sale's comments on Johnny Weir? Nothing!

    I don't like Jamie sometimes, I prefer David, but I don't see anything wrong with what she said about Johnny. It's ok to like Russian culture, (I like Russian culture a lot) but to wear Russian jacket at a major competition was just another way of seeking media attention. Sorry.
    Last edited by jennylovskt; 03-12-2010 at 11:37 AM.

  9. #9
    L'art pour l'art Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,752
    Oh no, he is wearing feathers? How could he! No wonder he came in 6th, with great performances and an amazing Triple Axel. The man who made 1st with good performances and an atrocious Triple Axel - he went on the ice in jeans and sweatshirt, like a real man should. I mean, have some pride in your masculinity, you little queen. What? Wait, I don't believe it! How dare you suggest such a thing! Just no! NO!! Lysacek didn't actually wore any feathers during the short program, those were tiny elastic propellers to make him rotate faster on the Triple Axel, so that it was only half a rotation cheated instead of the usual 3/4 rotation and therefore they enhanced his masculinity. And he supported the US-economy by using those propellers, because the propellers were donated by the All-American-Organic-Microaircaft-Cooperation. See? See??? Look how American that is! How masculine!

  10. #10
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Oh no, he is wearing feathers? How could he! No wonder he came in 6th, with great performances and an amazing Triple Axel. The man who made 1st with good performances and an atrocious Triple Axel - he went on the ice in jeans and sweatshirt, like a real man should. I mean, have some pride in your masculinity, you little queen. What? Wait, I don't believe it! How dare you suggest such a thing! Just no! NO!! Lysacek didn't actually wore any feathers during the short program, those were tiny elastic propellers to make him rotate faster on the Triple Axel, so that it was only half a rotation cheated instead of the usual 3/4 rotation and therefore they enhanced his masculinity. And he supported the US-economy by using those propellers, because the propellers were donated by the All-American-Organic-Microaircaft-Cooperation. See? See??? Look how American that is! How masculine!
    So now this is about Lysacek? Jamie wasn't even talking about him.
    And please bash USA to your heart's desire if it makes you feel better - but Jamie is Canadian

  11. #11
    L'art pour l'art Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,752
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    So now this is about Lysacek? Jamie wasn't even talking about him.
    And please bash USA to your heart's desire if it makes you feel better - but Jamie is Canadian
    But Jamie (the Canadian) was the one talking about Anti-American, accusing Weir of being Anti-American, I just picked up her line there. There is absolutely no US-bashing in my post that I can find. I am simply making fun of some people's strange perceptions of patriotism.

    I just don't like this double-standard. Slam Weir for wearing feathers - but then please slam all the others who do that, too.

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    So now this is about Lysacek? Jamie wasn't even talking about him.
    And please bash USA to your heart's desire if it makes you feel better - but Jamie is Canadian
    My thoughts exactly. Evan doesn't deserve to be dragged into this whether you like him or not. I do agree with many things Jaimie said regarding Johnnie. And it is my opinion and I know many would disagree. I did like Johnnie better at this Olympics than I have in previous competitions. The last Olympics he acted like a total diva. I was embarrassed for him.
    Last edited by cjsk8fan; 03-12-2010 at 10:43 AM.

  13. #13
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    But Jamie (the Canadian) was the one talking about Anti-American, accusing Weir of being Anti-American, I just picked up her line there. There is absolutely no US-bashing in my post that I can find. I am simply making fun of some people's strange perceptions of patriotism.

    I just don't like this double-standard. Slam Weir for wearing feathers - but then please slam all the others who do that, too.
    "Double standard" - that's my line but you can use it anytime you like.

    What get's a little tiring is to constantly hear praise for Johnny because he speaks his mind.
    Oh, that is just "Johnny being Johnny."

    Maybe this was just "Jamie being Jamie." She has as much right to express her opinions as anybody else. We are free to disagree with her - but that does not make us right. It simply means we have a different pov.

    And what wold happen if Yuna was seen practicing in a Japanese Team jacket? Or if Mao was seen walking around the Olympic village in a Korean jacket?

    Maybe there is too much nationalism at the Olympics. I bet many athletes trade each other's national clothing at the Olympics and what is wrong with that?

    Maybe Plushy should have worn a Team USA jacket around the Olympic village. Would anybody in Russia mind that? I am not sure - but think a few Americans might not like it too much

  14. #14
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,560
    ImaginaryPogue, I suppose that I am one of the people that you categorized as "stupid". I think you have nothing better to say other than using the word "stupid". Johnny Weir is not a good representative for men's figure skating. I agree with Jamie Sale. His style and most of all his costumes would scare, if it's not done so already, a lot of families with boys who want to enter figure skating. No, figure skating is not a gay sport for men. But it seems to look like it if you say Johnny Weir is a good representative.

  15. #15
    Whippet Good!
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    673
    I'd like to know how an opinion can be wrong. And what's wrong with "macho" (for lack of a better word) skating?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •