3 Skaters for Next Season - CANADA and USA | Page 2 | Golden Skate

3 Skaters for Next Season - CANADA and USA

gmyers

Record Breaker
Plushenko has to come back next year for Russia. One spot can't be trusted to Borodulin or Voronov. How does a skate blade break? And Voronov even though he just had a week to prepare bombed at Euros fully prepared.

ARipp42014

Medalist
Canadian Nationals is gonna get interesting next season! I can't believe I forgot Russell and J10!

As for Russia, Plushy should step aside and let Shaggy Artem have a chance (and redeem himself for the skate blade). Plus, Plushy at Worlds=no repeat for Daisuke! :cry:

Simoncat

Rinkside
I forgot about Joey Russell. He could definitely fight Jeremy Ten for the third spot. However,there may be someone from Quebec that we haven't seen yet that will get that third spot. It is pity that Canada doesn't groom up and coming skaters as they do elsewhere.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I wonder what would happen to Reynolds' quads if he went to Carroll. What is Carroll just going to stop saying quads are unnecessary?

wallylutz

Medalist
Canadian Nationals is gonna get interesting next season! I can't believe I forgot Russell and J10!

As for Russia, Plushy should step aside and let Shaggy Artem have a chance (and redeem himself for the skate blade). Plus, Plushy at Worlds=no repeat for Daisuke! :cry:

uh...Takahashi's scores in Torino would have beaten Plushenko comofortably... I don't understand why everyone just assumes Plushenko would win if he enters a competition. :unsure:

ARipp42014

Medalist
uh...Takahashi's scores in Torino would have beaten Plushenko comofortably... I don't understand why everyone just assumes Plushenko would win if he enters a competition. :unsure:

Because he's Plushenko!

Another suggestion for Reynolds... go to Morozov! Then again he already have Oda and Javi (not to mention the lovely Miki).

gmyers

Record Breaker
Takahashi would have beaten Plushenko by one point like Lysacek. Not really comfortable and of course Plushenko skipped worlds because he injured himself training for the second quad he was going to do in the long and even though he tried the quad flip Takahashi did not do it. Of course there is no guarantee that Plushenko would have landed his second.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Yeah, Canadian Nationals will be interesting next year. Chan and Reynolds have kind of set themselves up as 1 and 2, although Reynolds is not SURELY number 2. Chipeur said he was coming back next season and Sawyer didn't rule it out. I read an article that said he wasn't staying until Sochi, body can't take it, but didn't know if he would come back next season or not. If neither of them actually do come back my money's on Joey Russell. Jeremy Ten maybe, but he's been inconsistent lately and he has an injury too. I think the US team will be Abbott (if he's staying), Rippon and Mroz unless Bradley decides not to retire, which is unlikely. If Bradley comes back it would probably be Abbott, Rippon, and Bradley. Of course, if Evan or Johnny come back it's a whole other story. I think Evan is safe but Adam and Ryan could possibly beat Johnny.

sgower

Rinkside
I agree, Kevin needs to leave Joanne MacLeod!!!! He has some much potential.....

I think the exact same thing - we do not need another triple axel head case like Emanuel Sandhu....in fact, none of her skaters seem to have good axel jumps (i.e. Mira Leung, Emanuel, and Kevin's is not that great....Jeremy Ten's is probably the least yucky). I have also found her skaters to be a bit rough around the edges, even down to Mira's dirty skates and grey skate laces....

SamuraiKike

Medalist
I dont think Johnny or Evan are coming back, they have competed long enough , had very succesful carreers, and are now too busy enjoying the little fame spotlights they are getting post olys, why bother going back to hard and expensive training where you can appear in reality tv shows/contests??

That said, the 3 US men for next year will more likely be Abbott, Rippon and Mroz, with perhaps Miner, Dornbush or Mahbanoozadeh as dark horses.

For Canada, Its gonna be Chan, Reynolds and one of Ten or Russel. Sawyer and Chipeur are skaters of the past IMO.

For Japan, the team is locked already, though It kills me that Machida and Hanyu wont get their time to shine until another 2 -3 years..

For Russia, damn this sucks soo much, while they are not top of the field there plenty good enough russian boys that need the expeirence. I say, send Borodulin again, he's been improving and could crack the top 10 next year.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Russia does have two spots for Europeans so that will decide who goes to worlds.

Ren

On the Ice
I think the Russian Fed will take a long hard look at their skating program this spring and summer. Or at least I'm hoping so.

CassAgain

On the Ice
When you think about the fact that the U.S. had to substitute two of three qualifiers and still held on to three spots for next year, it really shows how deep the men's program is.

skatemom1122

Final Flight
Shifting gears to the ladies...

only two countries have 13 points now after the short.

Japan, with Asada 2nd and Ando 11th. However, this is dangerously close to going over the limit.

Shockingly, the USA is in the best position with Nagasu 1st and Flatt 6th at this point. Barring MAJOR meltdowns, things are looking good! =)

For Russia, damn this sucks soo much, while they are not top of the field there plenty good enough russian boys that need the expeirence. I say, send Borodulin again, he's been improving and could crack the top 10 next year.
Just wondering if the host country gets a perk for an extra skater - not unlike the host country of a GP?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Just wondering if the host country gets a perk for an extra skater - not unlike the host country of a GP?

Nope.
According to ISU Rule 400, Section A-5 "However, in case where the Competitor/Pair of the Host Member went through the normal qualifying procedure and did not qualify under paragraphs 3 or 4 above, one Competitor/Pair of the Host Member shall have the right to participate in each event (Ladies, Men and Pairs), as Competitor number 30 in the single events and as pair number 20 in the pairs event."
So they get one entry if they don't get it otherwise, but they don't get an extra entry.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Soo do people think Cynthia will be able to stay in the top 10 after tomorrow? I hope so but you never know with Cynthia. She's soo pretty though gosh!

wallylutz

Medalist
Soo do people think Cynthia will be able to stay in the top 10 after tomorrow? I hope so but you never know with Cynthia. She's soo pretty though gosh!

Judging from her track record, I have to say no because she is known to be very inconsistent in her LP whereas SP is usually her strength. In my heart however, I pray that she finds that inner strength and prove me wrong. If she can repeat the skate she did in the 2009 4CC, I think she will be fine, otherwise, Canada will be left with just one spot for next year's worlds.