3 Skaters for Next Season - CANADA and USA | Golden Skate

3 Skaters for Next Season - CANADA and USA

wallylutz

Medalist
You can add Japan to the list as well. Japan was saved by Takahashi after Oda melt down and Kozuka bombed his LP.

Moxie

On the Ice
The JFed is really lucky that Dai chose to fight through his injury and come back. I was not expecting Taka and Oda to both implode so dramatically.

It's Rippon 6 Abbot 5. :)
I think too, it's Reynolds 10 and Chan 3 :rolleye:

Forgive me for not listing Japan. I don't think there was any previous concern. Takahashi and Oda but who knew before Oda would melt in the SP no less. Dai did it all himself although kozuka would have helped.

ARipp42014

Medalist
Any predictions who will make the teams next year? It's obvious with Japan's team (Daisuke, Nobu, Taka) but the US and Canadian teams might not be as clear. Is Evan and Johnny coming back next season? Who would be Canada's #3? I doubt Sawyer is staying and Chipeur might be done.

Simoncat

Rinkside
Any predictions who will make the teams next year? It's obvious with Japan's team (Daisuke, Nobu, Taka) but the US and Canadian teams might not be as clear. Is Evan and Johnny coming back next season? Who would be Canada's #3? I doubt Sawyer is staying and Chipeur might be done.
I think the 3rd Canadian next year will be Jeremy Ten. I would hazard a guess that two of the three US skaters will be Adam and Jeremy.

wallylutz

Medalist
I think too, it's Reynolds 10 and Chan 3 :rolleye:

Forgive me for not listing Japan. I don't think there was any previous concern. Takahashi and Oda but who knew before Oda would melt in the SP no less. Dai did it all himself although kozuka would have helped.

Sorry, it's actually Chan: 2 and Reynolds: 11 = 2+ 11 = 13 = 3 spots

figuristka

Medalist
Reynolds is 11th, Kozuka was 10th. Hope it was still enough, i never payed attention to pointed needed for 3. Russia will only have 1?

wallylutz

Medalist
Reynolds is 11th, Kozuka was 10th. Hope it was still enough, i never payed attention to pointed needed for 3. Russia will only have 1?

Yes, Russia will have only one spot. If Plushenko stays on, the young talents will be deprived the sole opportunity to grow and learn and that could have pretty negative long-term effect on Russian men skating given that Plushenko is already 28 and can't stay on that much longer.

figuristka

Medalist
Abbot and Rippon should be proud too, wish there was a skater like Rippon coming in Canada, not sure if anyone can come close to Chan in the next few years.

figuristka

Medalist
Yes, Russia will have only one spot. If Plushenko stays on, the young talents will be deprived the sole opportunity to grow and learn and that could have pretty negative long-term effect on Russian men skating given that Plushenko is already 28 and can't stay on that much longer.

Though iam so happy for Canada and USA and Japan, i feel sorry Russia has lost its strength in men's skating.I adored the days of Yagudin and Plushenko.

wallylutz

Medalist
Abbot and Rippon should be proud too, wish there was a skater like Rippon coming in Canada, not sure if anyone can come close to Chan in the next few years.

If Kevin Reynolds can have a long overdue coach change and work with people who can actually groom him into a more complete skater, with his Quads, he could be a force. But first, I think he needs to leave Joanne MacLeod because she is not maximizing his potential.

CdnSkateWatcher

On the Ice
Kevin seems to be developing a real personality on the ice; Shae-Lynn did a good job choreographing him, it would be good to see her working with him again. From what I've seen, he is taking steps outside of Joanne McLeod in terms of training, and he is working on his weaknesses. I could suggest a better haircut - ? But otherwise, he seems to be becoming a more real prospect as a good all-round skater.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
If Kevin Reynolds can have a long overdue coach change and work with people who can actually groom him into a more complete skater, with his Quads, he could be a force. But first, I think he needs to leave Joanne MacLeod because she is not maximizing his potential.

It still looks like he hasn't hit puberty, there's a possibility his jumps could abandon him once he fills out, he is beyondd thin.

wallylutz

Medalist
It still looks like he hasn't hit puberty, there's a possibility his jumps could abandon him once he fills out, he is beyondd thin.

Believe it or not, Kevin Reynolds is actually older than Patrick Chan by a few months. He most definitely hit his puberty already and yes, he is no longer a boy, even though he looks youngish. Also, he is actually quite tall. Look can be deceiving sometimes.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Believe it or not, Kevin Reynolds is actually older than Patrick Chan by a few months. He most definitely hit his puberty already and yes, he is no longer a boy, even though he looks youngish. Also, he is actually quite tall. Look can be deceiving sometimes.

Oh, ok. I assumed he was 16, but if he's 19, then yeah he won't likely grow much. I just looked on icenetwork, it says he's 5'10", I assumed he was shorter because he has a very tiny frame. Likely he will stay so slight, but it seems to work for him as his quads are great.

Last edited:

ARipp42014

Medalist
Maybe K-Rey should move down to Cali and be coached by Frank! I mean Frank already had one quad king (Timothy) and one very consistent skater who just Gold in Vancouver (Evan). With some guidance, better constructed programs, and a "manover" (I'm sure Evan can help him make Kevin look more like a man and not a prepubescent girl), Kevin can be a threat to Chiddy.

You think Mroz has a chance for the 3rd spot should Evan and Johnny don't return?