Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 3 Skaters for Next Season - CANADA and USA

Custom Title
    Russia does have two spots for Europeans so that will decide who goes to worlds.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Russia does have two spots for Europeans so that will decide who goes to worlds.
    That wouldn't matter if Plushenko returns and he has said he would quit politics in order to concentrate on his skating career again.

Custom Title
    I think the Russian Fed will take a long hard look at their skating program this spring and summer. Or at least I'm hoping so.

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiKike View Post

For Canada, Its gonna be Chan, Reynolds and one of Ten or Russel. Sawyer and Chipeur are skaters of the past IMO.
    Maybe people see Chipeur and Sawyer that way, but if they show up at Nationals, you can't say they won't be factors.

When you think about the fact that the U.S. had to substitute two of three qualifiers and still held on to three spots for next year, it really shows how deep the men's program is.

Shifting gears to the ladies...

only two countries have 13 points now after the short.

Japan, with Asada 2nd and Ando 11th. However, this is dangerously close to going over the limit.

Shockingly, the USA is in the best position with Nagasu 1st and Flatt 6th at this point. Barring MAJOR meltdowns, things are looking good! =)

For Russia, damn this sucks soo much, while they are not top of the field there plenty good enough russian boys that need the expeirence. I say, send Borodulin again, he's been improving and could crack the top 10 next year.
    Just wondering if the host country gets a perk for an extra skater - not unlike the host country of a GP?

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    Just wondering if the host country gets a perk for an extra skater - not unlike the host country of a GP?
    Nope.
    According to ISU Rule 400, Section A-5 "However, in case where the Competitor/Pair of the Host Member went through the normal qualifying procedure and did not qualify under paragraphs 3 or 4 above, one Competitor/Pair of the Host Member shall have the right to participate in each event (Ladies, Men and Pairs), as Competitor number 30 in the single events and as pair number 20 in the pairs event."
    So they get one entry if they don't get it otherwise, but they don't get an extra entry.

Custom Title
    Soo do people think Cynthia will be able to stay in the top 10 after tomorrow? I hope so but you never know with Cynthia. She's soo pretty though gosh!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Soo do people think Cynthia will be able to stay in the top 10 after tomorrow? I hope so but you never know with Cynthia. She's soo pretty though gosh!
    Judging from her track record, I have to say no because she is known to be very inconsistent in her LP whereas SP is usually her strength. In my heart however, I pray that she finds that inner strength and prove me wrong. If she can repeat the skate she did in the 2009 4CC, I think she will be fine, otherwise, Canada will be left with just one spot for next year's worlds.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Maybe people see Chipeur and Sawyer that way, but if they show up at Nationals, you can't say they won't be factors.
    I will be surprised if both Chipeur and Sawyer stay next season, but if they do, only Chipeur could be a factor if he pulls off another great national competition like he usually does. Sawyer hasn't been a factor in ages. He went to Torino in 2006 and then never made the world/oly team again , he failed year after year after year. For the record, I like both guys a lot so I'll be happy enough with seeing them once again at the GP.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Nope.
    According to ISU Rule 400, Section A-5 "However, in case where the Competitor/Pair of the Host Member went through the normal qualifying procedure and did not qualify under paragraphs 3 or 4 above, one Competitor/Pair of the Host Member shall have the right to participate in each event (Ladies, Men and Pairs), as Competitor number 30 in the single events and as pair number 20 in the pairs event."
    So they get one entry if they don't get it otherwise, but they don't get an extra entry.
    Thanks Mrs.P. I really didn't thinkso but it's nice to see it in writing.

So how do some countries get 3 for the Olys? I presume the OIC accepts the ISU rules of entrants to be used for the Olys.

I will be surprised if both Chipeur and Sawyer stay next season, but if they do, only Chipeur could be a factor if he pulls off another great national competition like he usually does. Sawyer hasn't been a factor in ages. He went to Torino in 2006 and then never made the world/oly team again , he failed year after year after year. For the record, I like both guys a lot so I'll be happy enough with seeing them once again at the GP.
    He did do better on the GP circuit than the other Canadian men (not counting Chiddy because he was injured), getting the silver at Skate America and overall getting better results. The problem seems to be that he peaks too early in the season, or is maybe too nervous at Nationals. Actually the nerves might be the problem since he skated well at Four Continents. Also, his short program is weak.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    That wouldn't matter if Plushenko returns and he has said he would quit politics in order to concentrate on his skating career again.
    He has said this but with his surgery in the summer what is the recovery period going to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Ren View Post
    I think the Russian Fed will take a long hard look at their skating program this spring and summer. Or at least I'm hoping so.
    What is going right with the girls but failing with the boys.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3