For fans of S&Z -- clips from CoC | Golden Skate

For fans of S&Z -- clips from CoC

Flora MacDonald

Rinkside
Georgeous!
These people relate to each other so well they remind me of the Protopopovs.
Thank you mzheng (sniff,wipes tears on the cat)

Just beatiful, MZheng. Figure skating sometimes tries to make a distinction between the technical and the artistic sides of the sport. This team shows the beauty in athleticism.

Mathman

A few years back when fans were screaming for more 19th century ballet like B&S or contemporary romantic like S&P, I was thinking S&Z will eventually surpass them. They were more into 22nd century figure skating.

That DC Worlds, imo, would have won gold for them in 2002.

Joe

shine

Record Breaker
IMO the skate of S/Z were one of the most overrated programs of all time, if it weren't for her injury.

mzheng

Record Breaker
shine said:
IMO the skate of S/Z were one of the most overrated programs of all time, if it weren't for her injury.

Yeah, I kind agree in a sense that the NA public want some team, any team beat Rusian, just like S&P's LP at SLC.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
You would not say that if you had seen them live in DC.
Trust me. It was almost as emotional a program and as emotional a crowd reaction as T&D 1984 Ottawa(which I also saw live). It was one of the all time great programs. That doesn't mean S&P and B&S weren't all time great in 2002 though. Who knows how those 3 programs would have fared if they were side by side? (I wasn't so privileged that I got to see them.)

Yes, I am sure that the knowledge of her injury and the admiration of her courage added to the crowd's reaction. And it perhaps also was added to by the fact that the DC rink is in the middle of DC's Chinatown and even has its name in both Chinese characters and English. Somehow, it felt very right and satisfying for S&Z to do well there. But that aside, it was still a great program. Zhao got into the character, perhaps because he truly was doing everything he could for his princess, as in the story.
It all worked. It was magic, and the fact that it was a great performance does not take away from the great performances of the past.

Some performances are just better live.

dpp

mzheng

Record Breaker
DORISPULASKI said:

Yes, I am sure that the knowledge of her injury and the admiration of her courage added to the crowd's reaction.

That's definitely was a factor. There was rumor floating around that they properly would withdraw, most did not expect to see them, not mention skating like that, this shall help getting crowd cracy. Actually their 4CC performance was top DC's one -- That's what Shen said. Just that the chinese crowd in Peking not as passionate as NA audience. That's cutural difference.

I see a lot improvement in their skating this season, a lot transition movement are smoother and refined. The spin unison also improved. The most important the confidance showed in their skating. And those facial expressions much, much more improved. I would give them thumbs up for the improvement in expression and emotion, Chinese people usually are more reserved, they are not acustom to show their emotion openly, they must work hard to reach today's level.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I tried going to those sites tonight and all I got was a bunch of Asian printing. I don't understand what to click on or whatever.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Grgranny said:
I tried going to those sites tonight and all I got was a bunch of Asian printing. I don't understand what to click on or whatever.

It's from a link in china-ice.com in chinese. You have to have software installed to display properly.

They took the viedio clips off the server. They change the downloads weekly, or less than a week during the season. Now there are a few FD viedios from TL.