Aunt Joyce's commentary on men's long program | Golden Skate

Aunt Joyce's commentary on men's long program

watchvancouver

Match Penalty
I heart Aunt Joyce. He has a wicked sense of humor ! He always uses common sense to debunk lots of bullshit myth among those partisan 'fans'. :laugh::laugh:

Love his new commentary

http://auntjoyceicecreamstand.blogs...ng-program-daisuke-and-dominoes.html#comments

If anyone ever doubts the power of Skate Canada, take a look at P Chiddy's performance vs. his marks. His edges are good, but they're not THAT good. Patrick Chan has a way of getting under the skin of fans and skaters alike with his cocky attitude. His skating is lauded as the second coming, but Johnny Weir wasn't buying it. Peter Carruthers kept pressing Johnny about Chan's skating and it was delicious for the television audience. Almost every single one of Patrick's jumping passes was ung on to. he fell on a triple loop, had a foot down on his first triple axel, he was forward on his second triple axel, had another step down on his triple salchow and yet the judges still rewarded him ahead of Joubert's program. He looked off the entire program, but still delivered a circular step sequence that was to die for. Yet, Patrick was just off balance on his jump for the entire program. Ioana called to say that he was only overscored by about fifteen points before she realized that this assured Canada of three spots and meant that there is hope that Shawn Sawyer could continue and be in Tokyo next spring. Upon learning this, she now feels that Patrick's marks were perfectly accurate.

Johnny Weir says that Patrick Chan skates with 'starfish hands' and that the only time he has a pointed toe is on his back sit spin.

By the way, where did 'P Chiddy' come from? What does it mean? I have no clue.:laugh:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
By the way, where did 'P Chiddy' come from? What does it mean? I have no clue.:laugh:

It's a play on the famous rapper's name P. Diddy a.k.a. Puff Daddy a.k.a. Puffy a.k.a. Puff a.k.a. Diddy a.k.a. Sean Combs. As you can see, he has a lot of nicknames. :laugh:

gmyers

Record Breaker
I think Patrick Chan is like the skaters who built up big lieads in complusary figures in the past and who did terrible on jumps. But now PCS and spin and step levels are totally revenge of compulsary figures. Really Chans jumps were totally atrocious. I recently watched Ivanova and her bronze medal performance in 1984 and Chan was like that.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Oh, I just realized thanks to Aunt Joyce what a big part of my reaction to Jeremy is, at least maybe. I find his behavior makes me uncomfortable, too, especially in the KnC even more than the self-talk. Quotes from Aunt Joyce:

"Points wise, Abbott was still in the game based on the planned content in his program. He skated to the ice and we all witnessed him having a rather lengthy conversation with himself. While he is a lovely skater, this is a bit uncomfortable to watch for everyone. ...

The only thing more uncomfortable than watching Abbott's conversation with himself as he skates to center ice is watching whatever the hell it is that he is doing in the Kiss and Cry. It almost makes you wish he just loved Kung Fu and that that was enough. This year, he is making binoculars with his handles and doing God only knows what else. He needs to switch to Paul Wylie and Yuka Sato's agent (Yuki Saegusa) and have a long talk about image.

It was interesting to watch Yuka Sato coaching a head case followed by her father coaching one of his own. .."

I honestly think what I find to be Jeremy's weird behavior (again it's more the KnC, the self-talk could easily be a technique he's trying to use to psych himself up) may affect the way I perceive his skating. I've never really warmed to him or felt he had the presence or "it" factor == but maybe part of me is always thinking "here comes the strange guy." Hmm. I don't know. Probably that's too strong but when Aunt Joyce pointed those things out I was like, yeah, that stuff IS uncomfortable to watch, at least for me. Anyone else feel like me and Aunt Joyce?

Not that it would matter if the skating at the big events turned out better, lol. I had hoped he would relax and lay it down at Worlds.

So glad for Dai, though! So impressed with how he came back from that very severe knee injury and just wow!

Kinga

Medalist
I think Patrick Chan is like the skaters who built up big lieads in complusary figures in the past and who did terrible on jumps. But now PCS and spin and step levels are totally revenge of compulsary figures. Really Chans jumps were totally atrocious. I recently watched Ivanova and her bronze medal performance in 1984 and Chan was like that.

So were Joubert's....

apple123

On the Ice
About Jeremy at KaC, it's just a shy boy not knowing how to express himself in front of camera. It's his personality. I find it perfectly normal and kinda cute.

jennylovskt

Medalist
I honestly think what I find to be Jeremy's weird behavior (again it's more the KnC, the self-talk could easily be a technique he's trying to use to psych himself up) may affect the way I perceive his skating. I've never really warmed to him or felt he had the presence or "it" factor == but maybe part of me is always thinking "here comes the strange guy." Hmm. I don't know. Probably that's too strong but when Aunt Joyce pointed those things out I was like, yeah, that stuff IS uncomfortable to watch, at least for me. Anyone else feel like me and Aunt Joyce?

Before Jeremy switched coach, I couldn't stand watching him at K&C. It could totally change my mood from his beautiful, classic skating style. This year, his behavior at K&C was tolerable. Nothing was as embarrassing as Tomas Verner's K&C performance.

I don't find Jeremy's self assuring "talk" before skating disturbing. It was not noticable, not like Tim Geobel's talk or Joubert's hand gesture at exact place on ice every time before skating. I don't find it affects my loving for his skating at all.

However, in some cases, the off ice behavior from skaters do really affect my love for their skating, such as Patrick Chan's big mouth and Johnny Weir's girlly behavior off ice.

Last edited:

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Jeremy is cute in kind of an eccentric and dorky way. He said somewhere that he was uncool in his younger days at school, lol, but I forget where.

lavender

Record Breaker
Jeremy's behavior in the knc is stranged. I look past it because I think he's a nice kid in general so I continue to ignore his antics. I don't think he knows how to act and maybe feels nervous like he doesn't know what to do when the camera is in his face like that.

Wicked

Final Flight
Jeremy is cute in kind of an eccentric and dorky way. He said somewhere that he was uncool in his younger days at school, lol, but I forget where.

He's still uncool. I love that about him, but then again, I'm uncool too! Just embrace it, Jeremy.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Jeremy's twitter posts are always really funny and interesting. Actually, in kind of a weird way now that his weirdness has been mentioned. The only one I recall of the top of my head is - 'I was hiding under your porch because I love you!'

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Jeremy's twitter posts are always really funny and interesting. Actually, in kind of a weird way now that his weirdness has been mentioned. The only one I recall of the top of my head is - 'I was hiding under your porch because I love you!'

That quote he borrowed from Dug, the talking dog in Up.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Jeremy is hilarious! He has an odd, random sense of humor, which is the type of humor I love the most. I've always believed everyone should embrace their inner dork because if you don't know how to have fun, then what is this life for? :cool: He comes off as a real person to me, not plastic or phony.

Moxie

On the Ice
Agreeing with everyone about JereAoo in the K&C. I focus on Yuka Sato. From her body language it looks like she's usually thinking (glance over)Okay, stop that. (another quick glance)No, really. I mean it... Stopped. Phew. (smile, shoulders relax slightly).

He's still a sweetie. I wish he would skate better so he'd stop flashing those sad puppy eyes in the K&C.