Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The new emperor had a quad in his program.

Custom Title

The new emperor had a quad in his program.

Thank you, Daisuke! absolutely amazing. He said the quad is important and needed for the sport and even with the double footed landing in the warm up and not a single successful attempt during his time in Torino, he still went for it. He's a true champion.

Custom Title
    YEAH! So glad Daisuke was able to skate & WIN on his own terms.

He explains a little more in the press conference for his reasoning about the importance of the quad to him, (to get back to where he was b4 injury)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1p_1lW4WBA

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Thank you, Daisuke! absolutely amazing. He said the quad is important and needed for the sport and even with the double footed landing in the warm up and not a single successful attempt during his time in Torino, he still went for it. He's a true champion.
    Congradulations to Takahashi for winning the Worlds.
    But merely trying the quad does not equal him landing it.
    Even I can try one though I know I have no chance of landing it. lol

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Daisuke saved mens' figure skating tonight! As a champion, he has the warm personality, great musical interpretation, superior jump technique, and the quad, all qualities that Lysacek and Chan lack. Thank heavens he won and not you know who.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 03-26-2010 at 01:56 AM.

Custom Title
    I´m glad that Takahashi won!!! He though did not have a quad in fs, but he tried and it ended being a triple flip... Lucky for him that he did not fall and that trying it did not cost him a higher medal this time. The same result as in L.A.:Two skaters without a quad win over a skater who (this time) executed two quads.... I have not been earlier a big Chan fan, but I´m starting to get what judges are appreciating in his skating.
    Last edited by Jaana; 03-26-2010 at 02:51 AM.

Medalist
    Jaana or some other Finns, can you help with translation, what letters people use here means "siirtymä" in English? Brian's are not very difficult and that is where he looses to many others.

Custom Title
    Joubert did 2 quads and should have beaten Chan.

Rinkside
    "siirtymä"= transition
    And yes, he loses a lot in that department, as well as in spins (he had one of level 1) and step sequences (one was level 2).
    One has to look at the protocols to understand the result, but Brian's quads gave him a lot of points, he just lost a lot of them in other areas too. Also his program was very front loaded so he didn't get much points for jumps after the half of the program (only 3, Chan and Takahashi had 5). Also his flip had a changed edge so it got negative GOEs, plus the fall on the lutz and some not so bonified jumps because he didn't land them very well. If you watch him, he wasn't satisfied with his program, because he knew it wasn't enough.
    Last edited by Gymgirll; 03-26-2010 at 03:31 AM.

We still have a quadless World Champion.
    Dai is a fantastic skater and a very worthy champion - with or without a quad.
    Last edited by janetfan; 03-26-2010 at 06:54 AM.

I'm really happy that Dai won. He's a skater that is capable of being technically awesome but he is also very captivating. When he skates, I can't take my eyes of him throughout the performance. He is a very worthy champion and I hope he stays around for at least another season.

I like Dai enough not to be sarcastic, but no, he did not really seem to have a quad yet. He had it in the program. This normally means that he would have decent success rates in practices and that's why I guess people are giving a credit for it. But his practice reports never sounded like that for months, even without music.
    Today I heard him talk about his former Self before the injury who used to land two quads in the program. To me, he seems to be having difficulty accepting where he is now.
    He says that all the quad attemps in the program have been practices for the future events. I think that this strategy works when you have decent success rates but have nerve problems. But attempting what you don't often succeed in practices does not seem a very helpful measure to take. In that stage, I personally prefer Evan's strategy: accept, let it go, and do one's best within one's given capacity.
    I hope that he can remain patient a little longer and the day comes when he actaully has it back.
    Last edited by Bennett; 03-26-2010 at 09:17 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    We still have a quadless World Champion.
    Dai is a fantastic skater and a very worthy champion - with or without a quad.
    Yeah,... that sucks...

Dedicated follower of the black line Wicked's Avatar
    While it's not all about the quad, I love it that Dai tried it. He must have known he could win without it but tried anyway. I think he's a great World Champion.

Custom Title
    Dai had a quad, it just wasn't ratified. The past 2 champion "ladies" didn't attempt the quad at all.

It must have been close to being rotated, at least. I thought that he had fully rotated it when I first saw it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast