The new emperor had a quad in his program. | Golden Skate

The new emperor had a quad in his program.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Thank you, Daisuke! absolutely amazing. He said the quad is important and needed for the sport and even with the double footed landing in the warm up and not a single successful attempt during his time in Torino, he still went for it. He's a true champion. :love::bow:

RumbleFish

Rinkside
Thank you, Daisuke! absolutely amazing. He said the quad is important and needed for the sport and even with the double footed landing in the warm up and not a single successful attempt during his time in Torino, he still went for it. He's a true champion. :love::bow:

Congradulations to Takahashi for winning the Worlds.
But merely trying the quad does not equal him landing it.
Even I can try one though I know I have no chance of landing it. lol

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Daisuke saved mens' figure skating tonight! As a champion, he has the warm personality, great musical interpretation, superior jump technique, and the quad, all qualities that Lysacek and Chan lack. :love: Thank heavens he won and not you know who.

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I´m glad that Takahashi won!!! He though did not have a quad in fs, but he tried and it ended being a triple flip... Lucky for him that he did not fall and that trying it did not cost him a higher medal this time. The same result as in L.A.:Two skaters without a quad win over a skater who (this time) executed two quads.... I have not been earlier a big Chan fan, but I´m starting to get what judges are appreciating in his skating.

Last edited:

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Jaana or some other Finns, can you help with translation, what letters people use here means "siirtymä" in English? Brian's are not very difficult and that is where he looses to many others.

Gymgirll

Rinkside
"siirtymä"= transition
And yes, he loses a lot in that department, as well as in spins (he had one of level 1) and step sequences (one was level 2).
One has to look at the protocols to understand the result, but Brian's quads gave him a lot of points, he just lost a lot of them in other areas too. Also his program was very front loaded so he didn't get much points for jumps after the half of the program (only 3, Chan and Takahashi had 5). Also his flip had a changed edge so it got negative GOEs, plus the fall on the lutz and some not so bonified jumps because he didn't land them very well. If you watch him, he wasn't satisfied with his program, because he knew it wasn't enough.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
We still have a quadless World Champion.
Dai is a fantastic skater and a very worthy champion - with or without a quad. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

mikiandorocks

Final Flight
I'm really happy that Dai won. He's a skater that is capable of being technically awesome but he is also very captivating. When he skates, I can't take my eyes of him throughout the performance. He is a very worthy champion and I hope he stays around for at least another season.

Bennett

Record Breaker
I like Dai enough not to be sarcastic, but no, he did not really seem to have a quad yet. He had it in the program. This normally means that he would have decent success rates in practices and that's why I guess people are giving a credit for it. But his practice reports never sounded like that for months, even without music.
Today I heard him talk about his former Self before the injury who used to land two quads in the program. To me, he seems to be having difficulty accepting where he is now.
He says that all the quad attemps in the program have been practices for the future events. I think that this strategy works when you have decent success rates but have nerve problems. But attempting what you don't often succeed in practices does not seem a very helpful measure to take. In that stage, I personally prefer Evan's strategy: accept, let it go, and do one's best within one's given capacity.
I hope that he can remain patient a little longer and the day comes when he actaully has it back.

Last edited:

Wicked

Final Flight
While it's not all about the quad, I love it that Dai tried it. He must have known he could win without it but tried anyway. I think he's a great World Champion.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Dai had a quad, it just wasn't ratified. The past 2 champion "ladies" didn't attempt the quad at all.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
It must have been close to being rotated, at least. I thought that he had fully rotated it when I first saw it.

dlgpffps

Final Flight
I like Dai enough not to be sarcastic, but no, he did not really seem to have a quad yet. He had it in the program. This normally means that he would have decent success rates in practices and that's why I guess people are giving a credit for it. But his practice reports never sounded like that for months, even without music.
Today I heard him talk about his former Self before the injury who used to land two quads in the program. To me, he seems to be having difficulty accepting where he is now.
He says that all the quad attemps in the program have been practices for the future events. I think that this strategy works when you have decent success rates but have nerve problems. But attempting what you don't often succeed in practices does not seem a very helpful measure to take. In that stage, I personally prefer Evan's strategy: accept, let it go, and do one's best within one's given capacity.
I hope that he can remain patient a little longer and the day comes when he actaully has it back.

Very interesting. I love Takahashi as well, but I want to ask how realistic it is to try to get back the quad. Physically, is it possible? Takahashi's not exactly in the prime of his figure skating years, and when it comes to Takahashi, I don't mind having a quadless world champion, as he brings so much more to sport. Is it a smart strategy to attempt it every time or should he just "let it go" like you suggest? (Esp. as many people project that he will retire following 2011 Tokyo Worlds).

Germanice

On the Ice
Dai :bow: is one of that kind of a skater nobody really cares if he ... "... has a quad or not ..." ... unlike these certain, v-e-r-y certain!!! US/Canadian-completely-forgetables :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo:, he has sooooo much else to offer!!!!!!! :cool:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Dai :bow: is one of that kind of a skater nobody really cares if he ... "... has a quad or not ..." ... unlike these certain, v-e-r-y certain!!! US/Canadian-completely-forgetables :boohoo: :boohoo: he has sooooo much else to offer!!!!!!! :cool:

I agree Dai is a great skater.
And for the third straight year it is a fact that we have a Men's champion who did not land a quad.

My gosh - will the world come to an end ;)

Bennett

Record Breaker
Very interesting. I love Takahashi as well, but I want to ask how realistic it is to try to get back the quad. Physically, is it possible? Takahashi's not exactly in the prime of his figure skating years, and when it comes to Takahashi, I don't mind having a quadless world champion, as he brings so much more to sport. Is it a smart strategy to attempt it every time or should he just "let it go" like you suggest? (Esp. as many people project that he will retire following 2011 Tokyo Worlds).
I guess and hope that he will have it back again near future. Only after he recovers a more decent success rate in practices, I believe it would become more meaningful to attempt it in the program again. As far as I hear his practice reports and have seen all the failed attempts throughout this season, I doubt if he was any less quadless than Jeff or perhaps Evan was (I do not follow Evan closely and I hear that he stopped practicing it after an injury because quads can be very dangerous for his body). Then I would actually give more credit to Jeff and Evan for accepting the reality and maximizing the opportunity by doing what they can actually do in the program instead.