Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Ladies Preview

News Ladies Preview

All eyes will be on the Olympic Champion Kim Yuna from South Korea in Torino as she tries to follow up her world record setting performances in Vancouver with a second consecutive World Championships title.

More

The Bronze Medal is definitely the question since Rochette wont be there. However, there was no mention of Flatt in the Preview who took a beating with those judges in Vancouver. or was it the Tech Panel? We'll see her in Torino skating for that bronze medal also.

Custom Title
    The article mentioned Flatt's Olympic URs as if they were a commonplace occurrence. That is NOT true. While Mirai Nagasu has received UR calls last season and this season up until the Olympics, Rachael received NO URs at 2009 Worlds and none in her GP events this season.

Custom Title
    At this point, I'd say the bronze will be a three-way fight between Ando, Nagasu, and Flatt, with the outside chance of Suzuki, Lepisto, or Kostner sneaking in there. Alena and Ksenia are good, but I don't think they will get the PCS needed to be up that high. Most likely I think Ando will win the bronze, then after that I'd say Mirai, then Rachael. I just wonder where both Rachael and Mirai have skated so well at their past two competitions in a row, if they will be able to match performances of that calliber here in Torino. I hope so, but it's hard to know. Where Miki was not stellar at Japanese Nats or the Olympics, I'm wondering if she is poised to peak at the right time and skate her best performances of the season here. I guess we'll know soon enough.

I think it will be Ando or Nagasu for bronze. Flatt will be in there too. Of course, someone could take the silver from Mao. She's not a complete lock.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I think it will be Ando or Nagasu for bronze. Flatt will be in there too. Of course, someone could take the silver from Mao. She's not a complete lock.
    That's true, especially if she makes mistakes in the SP.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    At this point, I'd say the bronze will be a three-way fight between Ando, Nagasu, and Flatt, with the outside chance of Suzuki, Lepisto, or Kostner sneaking in there. Alena and Ksenia are good, but I don't think they will get the PCS needed to be up that high. Most likely I think Ando will win the bronze, then after that I'd say Mirai, then Rachael. I just wonder where both Rachael and Mirai have skated so well at their past two competitions in a row, if they will be able to match performances of that calliber here in Torino. I hope so, but it's hard to know. Where Miki was not stellar at Japanese Nats or the Olympics, I'm wondering if she is poised to peak at the right time and skate her best performances of the season here. I guess we'll know soon enough.
    ITA and have pretty much nothing else to add to Silverlake's assessment

Except this: It can't have escaped the attention of Rachael and Mirai that they have a very good chance of medaling with Joannie out of the picture. I hope that doesn't knock their focus too much. Probably Lepisto is thinking the same.

Miki would have been disappointed with finishing off the podium with or without Joannie.

Maybe Ando was too much of an afterthought in this preview. I mean, before the Olympics people were talking about her the being the surprise gold medalist if Kim faltered ... Just cuz she faltered at the Olys doesn't mean she should be dismissed as an afterthought behind nagasu and flatt just yet.

Other than that ITA with everything written.
    Last edited by Layfan; 03-20-2010 at 10:53 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    ITA and have pretty much nothing else to add to Silverlake's assessment

Except this: It can't have escaped the attention of Rachael and Mirai that they have a very good chance of medaling with Joannie out of the picture. I hope that doesn't knock their focus too much. Probably Lepisto is thinking the same.

Miki would have been disappointed with finishing off the podium with or without Joannie.

Maybe Ando was too much of an afterthought in this preview. I mean, before the Olympics people were talking about her the being the surprise gold medalist if Kim faltered ... Just cuz she faltered at the Olys doesn't mean she should be dismissed as an afterthought behind nagasu and flatt just yet.

Other than that ITA with everything written.
    . Yeah I think Miki being off the radar is a good position for her - I think both she and Oda must have been a little dissapointed with their placements at the Olympics and will really fight for medals here. Also, Miki has a tendency to do well at worlds, so I think she likes this competition.

nefertiti..reincarnate
    I wouldn't say Miki's Olympic performance was her very best, but for her it was a breakthrough in the sense that she finally overcame the flashbacks of her nightmare in the last Olys, IMO.

Miki said after her free skate that she felt really glad that she's been a figure skater "from the very bottom of my heart, and maybe for the first time ever." Her face beamed saying so.
    She had been fighting against her own trauma for four years long, and now finally, she is truly releaved !!

Don't worry Miki, let anyone say what they will. Just be yourself, enjoy, and let it all out!!

I hope Chukum does an analysis of the Judges and Tech Panel once they are known which should be tomorrow.

I think with a new set of judges, Miki and Rachael may very well join the group battling for a bronze.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Joesitz View Post
    I hope Chukum does an analysis of the Judges and Tech Panel once they are known which should be tomorrow.

I think with a new set of judges, Miki and Rachael may very well join the group battling for a bronze.
    I don't think anyone doubts that.

Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    I don't think anyone doubts that.
    With a new set of judges if Miki and Rachael skate SP's like they did in Vancouver they could find themselves with much lower marks. I thought their SP scores were quite generous in Vancouver.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    With a new set of judges if Miki and Rachael skate SP's like they did in Vancouver they could find themselves with much lower marks. I thought their SP scores were quite generous in Vancouver.
    I agree with you there, but I feel like compared to some of the monstrous FS scores we saw that night, both of their FS scores could have been higher. I thought Rachael having a higher score than Mirai in the SP was bull but in her FS I thought she deserved more than 117 for a clean, 7 triple skate.

Custom Title
    I just hope pressure doesn't get to Marai, thinking 'Rochett is out of the picture and I'm 4th so it should be easy for me...etc.'. She still have to fight off Miki, Rachael and Laura. Honestly, of the four, I want Marai to get the bronze. I wouldn't mind if Ando or Laura get one too if other are less than steller, probably Rachael the least.

It would be interesting to see if the judges will continue to give huge +GOE to Yuna and if Mao and Yuna will get over 67+ PCS mark. If they get it, I think Marai definitely deserve at least 64-65 PCS mark. Laura probably 62-63, Ando 61-62 and Flatt under 60.

I think Mirai will be fine. Pressure? What pressure?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast