Ladies - LP | Page 69 | Golden Skate

Ladies - LP

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
I totally agree that Mao finally did Rach's prelude in c sharp minor justice. Not sure if this is TT's choice or Mao's choice. But this is a very tough piece of music to skate to. This piece of music kind of has a tortured history. At Rachmaninoff's time, it was sooooo popular with audience that he was asked to play this piece in every concert, At one point Rachmaninoff hated the piece, and regreted that he composed the piece. TT may know about this aspect of the piece, why did she chose that for Mao??? The music is very unforgiving to skater, and difficult to intrpret, unlike Gershwin. It reminds me of Michelle's 2000-01 LP music song of the black swan. All season I was wondering why on earth did Lori choose such an almost unskateable piece for MK? But when Michelle finally conqueored the piece at worlds (and she had to put up with the airline losing her costume, and a broken heel on her skate), it made her win so much more special. Same for Mao here, ppl may say that she is not interpreting this to full potential, but I think she skated this as good as any skater can. I don't think even Michelle can interpret this piece better. I think TT intended to challenge Mao artistically just like Lori tried to challange MK with song of black swan. Mao lived up to this challenge, that does not mean her intepretation is the best or she intrepret the piece to full potential. But until some skater in the future who can do prelude to c sharp minor better justice and win a world gold, dare I say this piece is kinda Mao's signature piece, or at least prelude in c sharp minor is a memorablel milestone in her development as an artist .

Didn't know about the background story about prelude to c sharp minor. Thank you that was very interesting.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
Anyway my all time favorite spiral in a competitve program was Divakawa's at olys 2006. .

Awww Arakawa's 2006 spiral!!!! It was special wasn't it. The beautiful edges, positions, carriage, sensitively to the music... It is to this date the most beautifully performed CoP spiral, evah!

P.S. I remember Michell's Song of the Black Swan. She made lots of changes to the choreography from Skate America (I loved that version the best, chreography wise) to Worlds but yes at Worlds (in Vancouver- was it the same venue as the olympics?) she was just fantastic.

seniorita

Record Breaker
There are actually people in this world who think YuNa is plain? And they think this while they're looking at her? She couldn't be plain with a paper bag over her head.

Mao is also very attractive, but to me, what stands out most is her expressiveness. She's got a true actress's face. When she smiles, I feel like smiling. When she's into the music, she shows it with her face as much as with her posture.

Totally agree with all:)
And I also miss Irina's smile sometimes:rolleye:She could be so calming as a big sister!

Norpido

Match Penalty
I would really like if you would stop writing **** which comes from your rectum that is directly connected to your brain.

But look at her. Her efforts in smiling wouldn't even count for you average degenerate model.

Michelle is great by herself, but naturally I come to like her even more because Yuna likes her.

lols! Rabid Yu Na fan detected who can't even spell her name correctly. Don't you like her arms and shoulders too?

As I said. Her biased fans just makes her so much more ugly.

Forget "standards"- personally I'm not that crazy about either of them...

Still, beauty is a subjective matter and there should NOT be such "standards". Your cup of tea is not my cup of tea, let's just leave it at that

Um read up RD. Subject was whether Yu Na was a beauty because she was well appreciated in South Korea or not. Which was wrong.

Now standards:

Yu Na is not ugly but she has no say in the average South Korean babes inc.

Mao is not a babe in any standard. She can pass as cute though. Think of how she looked like when she discovered she won Worlds in Gothenburg. Cute!

Yuna is beautiful IMO and she def does not have the body of a 13 year old boy. Yuna, despite being so thin, actually looks like a woman on the ice compared to some of the other skaters who look like little girls. Yuna's skinny but she has curves and the ideal body shape, nice hair, clear skin, and beautiful eyes...what's not to love?

lol lololololl have mercy!

She has curves like the ideal body? Ppppppppuuuuuuuuuuuliiiiiiise.

She looks like her husband was an anti-feeder for gods sake. You're not exactly helping the heavy model movement. haha

She is daaaammm fine figure skater, yes. But can we keep it real here.

I think in some ads, like Nike's, she is actually mostly without a makeup. Of course the photographer does some job, but it's pretty much what we would see in the real life, except that in the real live she looks much better than on photos, according to all the reports I know about :)

I think, some, mostly. Dude!

You have no idea at all. Stop acting like you have any real facts here.

You want us to believe that a professional photo of a cute girl is not photoed, fixed, make-upped or in any other way retouched?

She earns money to sell cute photos in magazines and tv ads. The team has a paycheck that says they must make her look the best in all ways.

There are actually people in this world who think YuNa is plain? And they think this while they're looking at her? She couldn't be plain with a paper bag over her head.

Funny you said so because that is exactly what happened. Yu Na can come to the worlds with no inspiration to compete and with "a bag over her head" she can fail the SP and fall on the LP and convey no true feelings for the audience and still be the toughest to beat. Mao ONLY won because Yu Na failed and by that she just slightly won.

So in theory Yu Na can practically skate with a bag over her head i.e. conveying zero feelings and still win with her technical marks.

The tragic is that a bag over her head makes absolutely no difference to me as she delivers no true feelings stemming from her skate. It's all glued on smile out of place.

Last edited by a moderator:

bekalc

Record Breaker
Funny you said so because that is exactly what happened. Yu Na can come to the worlds with no inspiration to compete and with "a bag over her head" she can fail the SP and fall on the LP and convey no true feelings for the audience and still be the toughest to beat. Mao ONLY won because Yu Na failed and by that she just slightly won.

That's is not true that Mao only just slightly won, Mao won by over 6 points and last I checked that's not just slight. Now I thought that Mao should have won the long but that's neither here nore there.

miki88

Medalist
The judges were scoring Yuna relative to her Olympic performance. If one looks at it this way, it seems justified since it's so below her Olympic score. However, they did not do that for the other skaters, which makes it unfair. It's just weird that Mao''s LP with an UR triple and pop jump scores more than a LP with just an UR.

I just don't see how the present system is better than the older system, because so many thing stay the same. The top skaters are always given the highest PCS, so the fight for gold is essentially among those skaters. It's still harder for a less known skater to sneak in even if they skate well. But at least, under the 6.0, the winning performance usually was clean and more or less satisfying.

Last edited:

Johnnnn

On the Ice
haha

what's up with that Norpido? He/she's been trolling about yuna during the entire thread and also on the other threads while praising Mao lol Anyways, Yuna does have model good looks (like Tracy Wilson said) with great body line (small face, long legs, long arms, looks healthy and athletic). She's so mature too and I think it really shows in her performance, especially Sheherazade (Scott Hamilton used to say watching her compared to other skaters is like women and girls lol) For Mao, I think she's more on the cute side. People has been saying her programs don't fit her and I think that is because she still has that young, teen quality. Maybe at the next olympics when she's more mature, she can pull off heavy Russian programs better, in Russia lol. She's so skinny too (I could see her bones on her back!). I heard she lost a lot of weight to increase consistency on her jumps. I hope she's enjoying that pizza she wanted now lol

Daniel5555

On the Ice
Norpido
But look at her. Her efforts in smiling wouldn't even count for you average degenerate model.
wow... I think your efforts in making any sense have less effects than of that gorilla who was taught how to speak.

lols! Rabid Yu Na fan detected who can't even spell her name correctly.
ROFL
She refers to herself as Yuna Kim, that's why I write it that way. I know at least 10 different ways of writing her name and no one of them is correct or incorrect (except writing her name directly in Korean).

Don't you like her arms and shoulders too?
Whose arms and shoulders? Michelle's? I like them. Yuna's? Oh yes, I like them very, very much.

Now standards:
ROFL^2
You are determining beauty standards now?

You want us to believe that a professional photo of a cute girl is not photoed, fixed, make-upped or in any other way retouched?
Yeah, at least I know how a photoshopped picture looks, cause I worked with it. And Yuna's commercial photos are not very different from the photos made by her fans or during her training, as well as from the videos from her competitions and training. And if you think that all of her photos are edited and all the videos are also edited frame by frame, you are just crazy.

You have no idea at all. Stop acting like you have any real facts here.
Cause I have some real facts.

Despondent arguments of despondent antis are so despondent.

miki88
The judges were scoring Yuna relative to her Olympic performance. If one looks at it this way, it seems justified since it's so below her Olympic score. However, they did not do that for the other skaters, which makes it unfair. It's just weird that Mao''s LP with an UR triple and pop jump scores more than a LP with just an UR.
TES of Mao at the Olympics: 64.68
TES of Mao at the Worlds: 67.02

The difference lies in PCS's. It's not because of jumps, I think.

Mathman
Are you referring to Kim Yeon-A?
By the way, is that normal that a poster can call a skater "ugly" and so? I just wonder, because I thought that basic rules should promote respect for every skater... And then we are living in web 2.0 era, like skates also can read this forum and so. It's strange, I think, that nothing is done about this.

Last edited:

Norpido

Match Penalty
That's is not true that Mao only just slightly won, Mao won by over 6 points and last I checked that's not just slight. Now I thought that Mao should have won the long but that's neither here nore there.

You don't see how much of a favourite Yu Na is? Seriously?

When both compete at their peaks Mao gets pulled away by 40-50 point margin.

When Yu Na makes a very uninspiring dull performance, I know due to the Olympic-Worlds time stress, she can afford to ditch the SP and make mistakes on the LP. 6 points is not a margin for Mao. It is an insult and a loss would have been better for Mao to REALLY realise that she has to put up with a much better program to even have the chance to beat Yu Na.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Yes, but at the same time skaters (and their relatives) should be aware and read the forums at their own risk, and wearing VERY thick skin...

Norpido

Match Penalty
what's up with that Norpido? He/she's been trolling about yuna during the entire thread

What's that Johnnnnnn? I have almost only posted in this thread.

Besides. How come your affection for your dream body Yu Na make it any less trolling than my take?

Norpido

Match Penalty
wow... I think your efforts in making any sense have less effects than of that gorilla who was taught how to speak.

Wow Daniel. You don't really have much to add here except animals and rectums. Keep it strong man. At least the majority here can differentiate between arguing a subject rather than a forumite.

Nice to hear that you love Yu Na's arms and shoulders. Very spot on for your genre. :laugh:

We are still waiting for your proofs though on Yu Na non edited pictures on tv and mags.

FYI fans can edit pictures as well. So there goes your data down the drain.

Seems that you like Yu Na desperately enough you can't judge her objectively.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
Norpido
We are still waiting for your proofs though on Yu Na non edited pictures on tv and mags.
I don't have to prove anything, I know what I see.
It's you who should prove everything, which you are unable to do, cause you have never seen a program for photo editing.

FYI fans can edit pictures as well. So there goes your data down the drain.
Oh, yes. Like make a photo, edit for 5 minutes after which it's completely different and then upload it. Fan made videos of trainings are also edited at the same time they are recorded ))))

When both compete at their peaks Mao gets pulled away by 40-50 point margin.
228.56 - 205.50 = 23.06. You have some troubles with math. And Mao was not at her peak, she had 2 errors with jumps.

R.D.
Yes, but at the same time skaters (and their relatives) should be aware and read the forums at their own risk, and wearing VERY thick skin...
One thing is constructive criticism and other is insulting.
It's absolutely normal that not everyone is moved by someone's skating or beauty. But to call someone "ugly" is an insult. If it's forbidden to insult other members, who are mostly anonymous, why is permitted to insult real people who are going by their names?

It would be great if people could tone their language down a bit. Everyone here is an enthusiastic fan of skating and/or of a particular skater, and that's wonderful, but I'm sure I'm not the only one getting uncomfortable with some of the wording.

I don't want to offend or upset anyone. But there are so many more eloquent ways to criticize as well as to praise skaters.

Thanks.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
It would be great if people could tone their language down a bit. Everyone here is an enthusiastic fan of skating and/or of a particular skater, and that's wonderful, but I'm sure I'm not the only one getting uncomfortable with some of the wording.

I don't want to offend or upset anyone. But there are so many more eloquent ways to criticize as well as to praise skaters.

Thanks.

I agree but ufortunately I think this thread has run its course.

Bennett

Record Breaker
There's a convenient feature in the forums that makes your environment peaceful. You won't even notice any wars may be going on.