Ladies - LP | Page 68 | Golden Skate

Ladies - LP

seniorita

Record Breaker
what is airbrushed???:confused:

Haha you haven't seen much South Korean babes.

Yu Na is popular as a nation icon in "we are able to" fashion. That has nothing to do with beauty. If so, she would be a model instead.

So anyone who doesn't choose a career as a model instead of sports, cannot be as beautiful as a model?
I don't agree with that obviously.
Some skaters have more woman-ly bodies like Cynthia P. and some more athletic and juniorish like Mao or Yuna. Certainly I do not think Yuna is not beautiful or her body looks like a 13 year old boy. I am a girl, I do not appreciate her (lol that was funny expression) but I can certainly see she is rather beautiful and exotic with or without makeup. I also find Miki very beautiful and Sara Meier and Elene G. Why skaters dont let their hair down by the way?
And most ice dancers look like models!

... and of course those ugly Finish ladies..:sheesh:

prettykeys

Medalist
prettykeys

I think in some ads, like Nike's, she is actually mostly without a makeup. Of course the photographer does some job, but it's pretty much what we would see in the real life, except that in the real live she looks much better than on photos, according to all the reports I know about :)

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/8814/54170016.jpg
Yup, I'm thinking of all the Nike ads and the fabric softener commercial with the big bear.

Gisele Bundchen: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ihDO0LjmOQQ/RpY7iFkfdwI/AAAAAAAAAME/9Y2qzH-bB4M/s320/giselle.jpg

Alicia Silverstone: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3448/3184241802_4a058d9ba7.jpg

Anna Kournikova: http://www.amazingmakeup.com/pictures/2008-kournikova-without-mak.jpg

I'm still waiting for Norpido's stunning smile and Tinymavy's fabulous visage ;)

Daniel5555

On the Ice
seniorita
Some skaters have more woman-ly bodies like Cynthia P. and some more athletic and juniorish like Mao or Yuna. Certainly I do not think Yuna is not beautiful or her body looks like a 13 year old boy. I am a girl, I do not appreciate her (lol that was funny expression) but I can certainly see she is rather beautiful and exotic with or without makeup. I also find Miki very beautiful and Sara Meier and Elene G. Why skaters dont let their hair down by the way?
And most ice dancers look like models!
I think all the ladies skaters are beautiful, even those who are not in the top of the world. Mao, Miki, Laura and Elene are especially beautiful, I think, not to mention Yuna.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Yuna is beautiful IMO and she def does not have the body of a 13 year old boy. Yuna, despite being so thin, actually looks like a woman on the ice compared to some of the other skaters who look like little girls. Yuna's skinny but she has curves and the ideal body shape, nice hair, clear skin, and beautiful eyes...what's not to love?

The reason why I stated that past pcs performance count is because I believe PCS is kind of fixed during a season once a program comes out if we assume that a technical mistake has a very limited effect on PCS and if a player does not change his/her program dramatically during a season.

You are probably right.

But I hope not.

If the program component scores for each skater are fixed at the beginning of the season, why go through the charade of seating judges at the scoring table at all? And why would anyone want to watch such a "competition?"

f would be really crazy if a player gets a very high PCS at a competition and a very low PCS at another one for the same program.

I disagree.. Even if the choreography is the same on paper, in one performance a skater might be successful in communicating the spirit and nuances of the choreography to the ice, and in another performance, not so much. In one performance the musical interpretation comes shining through, in another it falls flat.

There are actually people in this world who think YuNa is plain? And they think this while they're looking at her? She couldn't be plain with a paper bag over her head.

Mao is also very attractive, but to me, what stands out most is her expressiveness. She's got a true actress's face. When she smiles, I feel like smiling. When she's into the music, she shows it with her face as much as with her posture.

Ren

On the Ice
This is going to be VERY off-topic, but: does anyone know what song the Russian soprano was singing during the Sochi 2014 presentation at Vancouver's closing ceremonies? It's very familiar, but I don't know where it's from. Thanks.

i just darted over to YouTube, and the first soprano I heard was singing the beginning of the Polovetsian Dances from Alexander Borodin's opera Prince Igor. Is that the part you meant?

If memory serves, later on a choir sings the Russian National Anthem, but I'd have to check back to confirm.

Edit: Thanks for linking to the photos of YuNa and Mao. Both are officially gorgeous! Beyond that, I don't think I could choose. As with their skating, thank goodness we have both to admire!

Last edited:

prettykeys

Medalist
Wait a minute! Isn't that you in your avatar picture?
I might have wished, back in my conflicted adolescence. :p I'm not as pretty as her, but I've settled into contentment with myself. :biggrin:

There are actually people in this world who think YuNa is plain? And they think this while they're looking at her? She couldn't be plain with a paper bag over her head.

Mao is also very attractive, but to me, what stands out most is her expressiveness. She's got a true actress's face. When she smiles, I feel like smiling. When she's into the music, she shows it with her face as much as with her posture.
On the one hand, there are people saying YuNa's smile is...??? And then others accusing her of having had plastic surgery. :scratch: A careful look at her features would prove those accusations false. She has retained the same features from her more awkward, younger years.

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/9776/72074370.jpg

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/1443/45374337.jpg

Now a bit of a secret is that my mother--a Korean nationalist--has a preference for Mao's appearance. When Mao puts her hair into the severe bun for skating competition, her oval face isn't framed in the most flattering way (I know, I have an oval face, too.) But when her hair is allowed to flow loosely, she really is very beautiful.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/mao asada/mimi703/th_08world_asada23.jpg

I am really annoyed when things like art or music or styles are put into some sort of ranking as "the best", and the same as far as human beauty goes. There are many different, awesome types of music; and there are many ways in which people can be beautiful. You can give me two people with very different features and I can find them both very attractive; I don't think someone needs to have those kinds of eyes or that type of nose or just a certain body type to be good-looking.

Last edited:

breeze

Rinkside
*entire post*

Thank you so much for your detailed review! It was very fun and enjoyable to read. :)
I've been following this very long thread though silently, and was kind of sad because I felt that there are more than enough unnecessarily agressive (IMO) comments. I think fans sometimes fall into bifurcation when they have a favorite, i.e., gush about her and bash her competitor(s). (In Yuna/Mao's case, I think this also has something to do with the fact that they have very different styles. Maybe I'll have a chance to post on this after giving it some more thought.) Yet, you seem to be one of the posters who are able to really appreciate each skater without belittling anyone. Looking forward to reading more of your reviews in the future!

chloepoco

Medalist
There's a beauty contest going on here:biggrin:

Here's one of my favorite pictures of Queen Yuna

http://imgsrc.baidu.com/forum/pic/item/be721823b7e56c7c9358076e.jpg (She does look like a model here:))

And here's Princess Mao (so innocent)
http://tokitama.tumblr.com/post/430125398/mao-via-nepia

Both are attractive in their own ways.

The link for Yuna doesn't work for me, but Mao is really beautiful in those photos. However, I think they both are very, very attractive young ladies.

And I don't know if it's the ice, the cold, or what, but why do all figure skaters have such beautiful, flawless skin???

brianjyw

Rinkside
You are probably right.

But I hope not.

If the program component scores for each skater are fixed at the beginning of the season, why go through the charade of seating judges at the scoring table at all? And why would anyone want to watch such a "competition?"

When I stated that "kind of fixed," I meant that PCS fluctuates much less than TES does during a season. A couple of pops and falls can really hurt your PCS but I think it is very unlikely that someone will screw up one's PCS big time if we assume that technical fault does not affect PCS much.. When a skater messes up an element, it may cost 10 points in TES but I don't think it will cost more than a point in PCS. That's why I stated that it is "kind of fixed" for the duration of a season.

Anyway, I am really sorry that I wasn't clear about it and might have wasted your time. :cry:

I disagree.. Even if the choreography is the same on paper, in one performance a skater might be successful in communicating the spirit and nuances of the choreography to the ice, and in another performance, not so much. In one performance the musical interpretation comes shining through, in another it falls flat.

I totally agree with you but, in my opinion, once a skater masters choreography and interpretation, it is really hard to screw them up if we assume that a technical mistake doesn not affects PCS a lot. I think that if a skater messes up an element, people think that it affects PCS as much as it affects TES.

I am curious to know how it is possible for a skater to mess up (shining through) choreography and interpretation all of sudden. I have seen skaters' performances throughout a season but I hardly ever noticed any noticeable changes in how successful they were in choreography and interpretation.

Maybe my eyes are not so sophisticated enough to discern any differences. I hope if someone can educate me.

Ren

On the Ice
i just darted over to YouTube, and the first soprano I heard was singing the beginning of the Polovetsian Dances from Alexander Borodin's opera Prince Igor. Is that the part you meant?

If memory serves, later on a choir sings the Russian National Anthem, but I'd have to check back to confirm.

I'll check Polovetsian Dances later. But if you meant the soprano in the fabulous costume, standing on a moving globe just after the ballet dancers show up, then yes. Thanks for answering so promptly!

Ren

On the Ice
I am really annoyed when things like art or music or styles are put into some sort of ranking as "the best", and the same as far as human beauty goes. There are many different, awesome types of music; and there are many ways in which people can be beautiful. You can give me two people with very different features and I can find them both very attractive; I don't think someone needs to have those kinds of eyes or that type of nose or just a certain body type to be good-looking.

I agree. I once had a classmate who preferred Caucasian beauties, especially those found in fashion magazines. He didn't understand me when I said I also found beauty in strong features and darker skin. Or the Rubenesque figures found in paintings. That loveliness and charm could also be found in freckles, slanted eyes and snub noses.

bekalc

Record Breaker
When I stated that "kind of fixed," I meant that PCS fluctuates much less than TES does during a season. A couple of pops and falls can really hurt your PCS but I think it is very unlikely that someone will screw up one's PCS big time if we assume that technical fault does not affect PCS much.. When a skater messes up an element, it may cost 10 points in TES but I don't think it will cost more than a point in PCS. That's why I stated that it is "kind of fixed" for the duration of a season

And I HATE this about the system. Before under 6.0 came the concept that if someone made multiple errors that affected the flow of the program. That not only should the Technical marks be effected, but the Presentation marks should be effected too. I actually thought this was a correct assessment. Now a slight error is one thing but messy programs is truly another. Now this concept doesn't exist at all and so you have skaters packing in their program with difficulty. Showing forth really poor execution, and getting huge PCS no matter the fact that their program(s) had some really glaring errors. It really bothers me.

brianjyw

Rinkside
And I HATE this about the system. Before under 6.0 came the concept that if someone made multiple errors that affected the flow of the program. That not only should the Technical marks be effected, but the Presentation marks should be effected too. I actually thought this was a correct assessment.

Well, as a matter of fact, if someone makes multiple errors that affects the flow of the program, it not only affects the Technical marks but also the Presentation marks as well under the current CoP system, even though it may not affect the Presentation marks as much as you like.

Even though how much an error should affect PCS is somewhat debatable, I think it is not that important as long as the rules are applied the same across all skaters.

Now a slight error is one thing but messy programs is truly another.
How would you define "a slight error" and "messy program?" if I am allowed to ask.

Now this concept doesn't exist at all and so you have skaters packing in their program with difficulty. Showing forth really poor execution, and getting huge PCS no matter the fact that their program(s) had some really glaring errors. It really bothers me.

If a skater got huge PCS despite "glaring errors," then maybe the skater's performance was so much superior than others that the skater - even with a huge markdown due to the errors - was able to get higher PCS than others ? :think: