Ladies - LP | Page 44 | Golden Skate

Ladies - LP

lavender

Record Breaker
I am sad for Mirai too - but she did not skate well today. Hope she comes back more determined.
Don't forget this was her first Worlds. I see a bright futire for her.

It will be so interesting if Mao and Yuna both stick around - but i have a feeling Yuna is done. And why not? She may decide top start the nest chapter of her life which would be serious Univerity studies.....not to mention a more normal, non-sequestered lifestyle.

If Yuna continues - I say great for her and extra great for skating!

I'm still proud of Mirai and I think she will only get better and stronger. The judges obviously see her talent...you can see from the pcs scores. I'm more sad about how the media will treat her. I just hope the journalist don't beat her down. You know how they turn on ya.

Mao is definitely staying.

janetfan

Match Penalty
Mirai needs to be tougher. A world medal was hers to lose. She could've easily beaten Yuna and Laura if she'd just skated clean. Obviously being #1 puts too much pressure on her.

Obviously?? Are you so sure? It was her first Worlds. We saw many of the younger 16 year olds fall down in the LP. Does this also mean MJ can't handle pressure? Maybe some of these younger kids were just extended. Or could we say Yuna can't handle pressure after winning the OGM?

It was just one competition at the end of a long season. Due to USA politics Mirai has been competing under intense pressure for the past few months. Personally - I can see how she was due for a let down.

It is hard to skate your best every time out. Yuna proved that, no?

chloepoco

Medalist
I like that about him though. That way, the final placement is fair.

I don't care how strict or lenient tech callers are. I just want them to be consistent.

Exactly. At least this way there should be no cries of "unfair downgrading"!

hellcat

Rinkside
Well, she was doing a change foot combination. :sheesh:

I know that as I'm not blind :)

I'm just saying compared to Yuna's change foot combo as the orignial poster asked how to beat Yuna.

If you watch that side by side like the one in NBC's comparison, you'll see what I mean.

One more thing Mao can fix is here sit-spin, her legs were keeping coming down as she spins.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
If in was this case, Mao should get 0 point for the 2A jump too since she did it twice and that's NOT allow.

Skater can include each jump twice in the program, but third attempt to same jump is worth 0. Rules are worth of studying. Edit: Not too many jumps, though, I cannot remember how many.

Last edited:

Nadia01

Final Flight
Obviously?? Are you so sure? It was her first Worlds. We saw many of the younger 16 year olds fall down in the LP. Does this also mean MJ can't handle pressure? Maybe some of these younger kids were just extended. Or could we say Yuna can't handle pressure after winning the OGM?

It was just one competition at the end of a long season. Due to USA politics Mirai has been competing under intense pressure for the past few months. Personally - I can see how she was due for a let down.

It is hard to skate your best every time out. Yuna proved that, no?

She doesn't have to skate her best.

But after she won the US nat, she finished off-podium. Yes, she had growth spurt and so on, so let's say that season was a fluke.

Then this season, didn't she finish 1st in SP but off-podium in grand prix (the one in Russia IIRC). And again she's 1st in SP and off-podium.

I'm merely making an observation that she doesn't seem to do well when she's the chased, rather than the chaser (or someone w/ nothing to lose).

As for MJ -- she can't handle the pressure, nor is she technically good enough to measure up to Mirai and others right now.

janetfan

Match Penalty
If in was this case, Mao should get 0 point for the 2A jump too since she did it twice and that's NOT allow.

It seems like you have been a figure skating fan for less than a year :sheesh:

Give these girls a break - and the judges too. Yuna was not at her best in this competition and still won Silver. Mao deserved her Gold today.

I am very disappointed for Mirai - but accept she just didn't skate a clean enough LP.

Sometimes we have to accept what happens on the ice - and leave biased nationalistic feelings out of it.

Mao won, Yuna second and Laura third.
Well done to the medalists! :)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Damn. More surprises in the freeskate...this time, not so pleasant ones, for me at least...

This feels so anticlimactic, having it after Olys. I don't think I've ever felt this bleh before. Gone are the days I'd get up early in the morning and tune into Eurosport's live Worlds audio stream, and/or follow PBP on FSU...getting nervous, etc...those were the days...now, checking the results wasn't the first or even the second thing on my mind this morning :laugh:

But I digress. congrats to Asada for winning another World championship and beating the OGM in order to do it. She should feel proud of that. And also Kim for fighting back to get on the podium. But what's Lepisto doing up there? :laugh:

Looks like our ladies had some struggles. Things were looking up after the SP but seems they came undone. Oh well, what can you do. But I hope it's too early to wonder what the heck happened to US ladies skating. I hope it was just an off-night.

Anyway, an end to a rather strange season IMHO. Of course the highlight event for me was the US Nationals...nice to finally bring back that anticipation and nervousness that I used to feel watching big skating events in the earlier part of the decade. Hope there are more to come. And Nagasu really made the most progress IMHO- I really hope this was just an off-night for her because I think if she keeps improving, she can be one of the world's best. Lepisto also seems to be breaking in - or the judges seem to be breaking her in - to the truly elite level of world skating. With this world medal she can continue to contend for medals in the future, assuming she doesn't pull a Sokolova or something.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Ot but little bit on subject: Are there rules somewhere on ISU's sites? I know only I have heard from commentators during years.

miki88

Medalist
I know that as I'm not blind :)

I'm just saying compared to Yuna's change foot combo as the orignial poster asked how to beat Yuna.

If you watch that side by side like the one in NBC's comparison, you'll see what I mean.

One more thing Mao can fix is here sit-spin, her legs were keeping coming down as she spins.

Well, it doesn't really make a difference in scores as they get comparable GOE's for non-jump elements. It's only in the jump elements that Yuna has the advantage in GOE.

Nadia01

Final Flight
Skater can include each jump twice in the program, but third attempt to same jump is worth 0. Rules are worth of studying. Edit: Not too many jumps, though, I cannot remember how many.

He's referring to Mao's 3A< in SP.

Obviously he's a bot.

sleepymom

Rinkside
Urgh. 3A< is different from 2A. On CoR, she just rotated upto 2A, entirely different situation. Stop your trolling.

M

mylastduchess

First of all Kudos to Yu-na for even showing up... she could have been lazy and stayed home, enjoy her OGM win and Korean adoration but she didn't

Congratulations to Mao at 19 she won 2 worlds and Olympic silver medal! Feel bad for the 4-5th placers who are just a a point more/less to a medal

janetfan

Match Penalty
She doesn't have to skate her best.

But after she won the US nat, she finished off-podium. Yes, she had growth spurt and so on, so let's say that season was a fluke.

Then this season, didn't she finish 1st in SP but off-podium in grand prix (the one in Russia IIRC). And again she's 1st in SP and off-podium.

I'm merely making an observation that she doesn't seem to do well when she's the chased, rather than the chaser (or someone w/ nothing to lose).

As for MJ -- she can't handle the pressure, nor is she technically good enough to measure up to Mirai and others right now.

We could have said the same back in '07 when Yuna had the lead after her SP and then had a shaky, subpar LP.
You are basing Mirai's character and competitive abilty on what - 2 skates?
Before you start with the Yuna excuses - Mirai has a sick mother - she feels pressure too. She hasn't even been with her coach for a year yet.

I think Mirai messed up - but like the other girls said - she was really tired trying to train for this event. Yuna was not her best and either was Mirai. That's the way it goes sometimes.

I am not going to make a determination now that Yuna can't handle success - just as I won't decide Mirai can't handle it either.

This was kind of a no brainer for me. After the SP I was sure Mao had this championship. I knew Mirai would have to skate well to keep 3rd - and she didn't. I refuse to label her with anything yet. It is too early in her senior career.