Ladies - LP | Page 50 | Golden Skate

Ladies - LP

bekalc

Record Breaker
Of course this is speculation - but should Yuna retire now - except for Korean fans - she will go down like a Tara, sarah and Shiz. Wondeful skater who won OGM and one WC.

Mao , a few years from now may be approaching Michelle's records - with two Olympic medals a possibilty along with 4-5 WC's.

So, it is fine to say Yuna had nothing to prove and this did not mean so much to her. Not a problems for me as I always respect Tara, Sarah and other skaters with 1-2 major titles.

Just strikes me that if it is a legacy Yuna wants - she needs to continue because it seems Mao is not going away and will surpass Yuna's records rather easily in the next season or two.

You do realize that Yu-na has the most world medals of any Olympic champion since Katerina Witt. I'm sorry but she doesn't deserve to be compared to Tara/Shiz/Oksana because Yu-na was competiting at an extremely high level for an entire quad.....

And the thing is that it is a lot easier for a skater to stay in the sport, when they have titles they'd still like to win, than it is for a skater to stay in the sport when they've already won everything. Who knows if Michelle Kwan would be a 5 time world champion if she won in Nagano. Its totally and utterly possible that Tara Lipinski (I saw believe her hip would have bothered her but still) would have ended up with more world titles than Michelle. I remember back then Michelle talked about how much she wanted to go to Harvard back then.

Not to mention, while multiple world titles are impressive, your also only as good as your best competition. Unless Nagasu really improves those jumps (and I'm not so sure) It doesn't look like Mao is going to exactly have a whole lot of competition until maybe some of the young Russian jumping beans get eligible. In contrast Yu-na had to beat Mao to win her titles. Its why Yagudin will always be a better for me than Plushenko even in terms of as a competitor because Yagudin had to beat Plushenko to win those titles. And in Plushenko's case for most of his career once Yagudin left-he just needed to skate clean.

Lilith11

On the Ice
Janetfan, here's the thing; we can't predict the future. We can't predict a person's legacy. Let's just keep it at this; the ice is slippery and anything can happen. I'm not going to try to argue which skater will be remembered more; I'm not a seer. I can make logical deductions, but that is not 100% accurate. Remember in 2006, everyone was like "Mao will be the next OMG"? Yes, Mao has said she will stay on for four more years, but let's keep in mind, she will be 23 by the Sochi Olys (and jumps might be harder for her at that point) and a lot can happen in even just a year. Mirai for example; a lot of people were predicting she'd be on the podium, but she wasn't. Same applies to Yu-na. There's no definite word she will retire. She could retire and come back again for the Olys. She could cut back on the amount of competitiions she attends. Or just flat out retire. I personally do not think she will retire; I somehow doubt that she'll be content w/ending this otherwise perfect season w/a gold, BUT I speak from my personal perspective and biases and whatnot. History is fickle; when Truman was president, he was not popular, but looking back on his, History is kind and had judged him as one of the best presidents the US has had. Let's just wait and see and keep out minds open. And remember; the ice is slippery and history is fickle.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yu-na has never said this. She has always said that she wants to be a skater who is remembered. Period. Whenever she's expanded on that, she says that she wants to be a skater who is remembered and loved like Michelle Kwan. That says a lot about Yu-na, and a lot about Michelle, that she was able to influence and inspire a skater in a country with no legacy of great figure skating whatsoever.

Exactly, and I have to say to the beautiful Yu-Na, Mission Accomplished! You will definitely be remembered in figure skating forever! :love:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Yu-na has never said this. She has always said that she wants to be a skater who is remembered. Period. Whenever she's expanded on that, she says that she wants to be a skater who is remembered and loved like Michelle Kwan. That says a lot about Yu-na, and a lot about Michelle, that she was able to influence and inspire a skater in a country with no legacy of great figure skating whatsoever.
:thumbsup:

On another note, this has been a strange, strange worlds and unpredictable, which was interesting to watch. Congrats to Mao Asada!

lavender

Record Breaker
It's so weird how some are journalist are saying Yu na never falters. Even the journalist are once in every 4 year figure skating watchers. I do they account for Yu na's one world championship gold.

Tara wouldn't have won worlds again... and again with that hip. She wouldn't have had her 3/3 to compete with the complete Michelle or whoever else was coming up.

Last edited:

AnnaTheMusician

On the Ice
Why should Laura have to learn anything? At the rate she's going, she could double ALL her jumps and still make the podium.

Sorry, but I am super unimpressed with Laura. She has a habit of doubling jumps and has done so at nearly every competition this season. She got away with it at Worlds because so many of the skaters were exhausted after a long, long season.

Like Laura had a shorter and less exhausted season than the others?! She could make a beautiful and powerful program with as long season as the other skaters. Also with two GP's in different continents she lives. She should give some credit for not being exhausted and I think they gave that in her PCS which were really earned. Her programs were much more interesting and beautiful than eg. Miki's or eg. Ksenia's who had almost all the jumps in the first minute.

I know she made only 3 triples in LP but I think this childish whining about score and jumps is frustrating. If you just look the protocol it's easy to see where the skaters got their score. Even if your Magical Mirai got as high pcs as Laura, she wouldn't been in third place. I think many of us in this forum aren't judges so it's kind of pointless to argue with overscores and underscores. Laura made a beautiful SP and it helped her this time. As long as there are two programs we can't make the winner based on LP.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
Janetfan, here's the thing; we can't predict the future. We can't predict a person's legacy. Let's just keep it at this; the ice is slippery and anything can happen. I'm not going to try to argue which skater will be remembered more; I'm not a seer. I can make logical deductions, but that is not 100% accurate. Remember in 2006, everyone was like "Mao will be the next OMG"? Yes, Mao has said she will stay on for four more years, but let's keep in mind, she will be 23 by the Sochi Olys (and jumps might be harder for her at that point) and a lot can happen in even just a year. Mirai for example; a lot of people were predicting she'd be on the podium, but she wasn't. Same applies to Yu-na. There's no definite word she will retire. She could retire and come back again for the Olys. She could cut back on the amount of competitiions she attends. Or just flat out retire. I personally do not think she will retire; I somehow doubt that she'll be content w/ending this otherwise perfect season w/a gold, BUT I speak from my personal perspective and biases and whatnot. History is fickle; when Truman was president, he was not popular, but looking back on his, History is kind and had judged him as one of the best presidents the US has had. Let's just wait and see and keep out minds open. And remember; the ice is slippery and history is fickle.

I agree with what you are saying. And I was thinking towards the future.
Between Yuna and Mao combined - they have three WCs and two Olympic medals. Michelle has 5 WC's and two Olympic medals.

Think about that for a minute. The two greatest skaters of the CoP era combined have not equalled the Kween yet. And they have both been at it for almost half a decade.

Just saying - especially to newer fans - if you want to be like Sonja, Kati and Michelle - you need to skate, skate and skate. And win titles and medals. Then history will decide your place.

kyla2

Final Flight
I am sorry Mirai had a bad skate. She needs to learn from this, get mad, and never let it happen again. She simply lose her nerve and timing after missing the first combo and the wonky landing. She is the most gifted skater out there in my opinion. On another note, i am thrilled that Mao won if Mirai couldn't. Really like her. She is a sweet kid without attitude. She never quit trying and it has paid off. Gott love her. My last comment is this: figure skating is on a downward slide in the U.S. when not one major network would carry this competition. It is very sad that it has come to this. My compliments to Universal Sports for their excellent coverage.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
janetfan
I am just thinking of Yuna's own words, "I want to be a skater who is remembered." Yuna has said this more than once so I think she needs to continue to reach such a goal.
LOL
She will be remembered. She didn't say "I want to be Michelle Kwan". Or "I want to have 7 World titles.". She even said that she won't win the Olympic games that she won.
Mao Asada, for example, is not like that at all. She wants to have high scores and win everything. Completely other personality. She is amazing her own way.
But I am not sure if she can continue under the pressure she gets from her countey and fans.
So her "countey" and "fans" are to blame?

Just saying if Mao continues - wins a more World medals /championships and a second Olympic medal then she will be the one remebered like Michelle. The one with the great long medal studded career.
That is not my concern. If Yuna retires, Mao will be the Queen of figure skating for next season.

For now - Yuna is in the Kristi - Tara - Oksanacategory to me. Two major titles - that is all. Mao also has two major titles right now.
Well, Yuna has no obligation to think about your categories, since she has 3 Worlds records and so much medals.

This is not about who you dream about at night when you turn off the lights
Very original.
This either about what someone like you want since your opinion has no consecuences at all.

it is about skaters and historical legacy. Kati has 2 OGM's and 4 WC's. Michelee has 5 WC's and 2 Olympic medals. If Yuna wants to be remebered like them - as an all-time great she probably needs to continue. If not, she will be remebered as a great jumper and the first Lady to master CoP. But 4 years from now - when Sochi is coming up I wonder if either Yuna or Mao will still be going and winning big medals and titles. The one who is will most likely join Kati and Michelle in the history books. The other will be remebered as a good champion of her era - but not necessarily as an all time great.
Man, you have problems. Who cares about this? The history is history and no one knows how it will turn out. Yuna doesn't have to do anything besides she already did. She will be remembered.
That is what I am talking about - not sure what the h... you are whining about?
Whining? Oh man, watch yourself... You write like you're drunk.

chachacha

Rinkside
Yuna wants to be remebered as one of the greatest skaters of all time and she already has accomplished that. She is the only lady to skate the best programs ever in history of the olympic game. Her world record scores are also there. So, she will be remember as a greatest skater ever unless some skaters can break her record. I didn't mean to disrespect, but I really don't see any current skaters that has the potential or ability to do that.

seniorita

Record Breaker
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
I havent been that happy since Euros Men. And I thought I would never be happy for figure skating after Vancouver! But this Worlds was like made for me, Mao and Takahashi are what i would ask for.
I celebrated with pistache ice cream!

Now shall I dare ask why the program of mao gets less points than yuna with such mistakes? They are both great skaters, they just dont have that big difference. Just an observation!

Mirai is the joy of life, if she keeps like that she will be the next MK(the Kween is one, just saying:p) , she skates and gets in your heart, when i was watching the program I was laughing because I remembered Mathman's comment in Olys that she is Carmen's little sister!
The rest later, we will celebrate the Wolrds in Torino by night!

rtureck

Final Flight
Let's look on the bright side.

Congrats to Mao and the rest of the girls.
This must have been a very difficult competition for everyone.
I think ISU should seriously consider getting rid of the Worlds in Olympic years.
I don't think ISUshould get rid of worlds in olys year. Skaters shouldn' make excuses of being tired forpoor world performances after olys . If they are tired then they should take a page from Lysacek's book and go for dancingwith the stars. I am sure if any olys medalists want to skip worlds there are plenty of skaters from their country who want to have a world experience.
BTW, all gold medalists in worlds are also olys medalists. Aren't they supposed to be as "tired" as the others?

Daniel5555

On the Ice
rtureck
Skaters shouldn' make excuses of being tired forpoor world performances after olys .
I agree with you, but no one made excuses.

I am sure if any olys medalists want to skip worlds there are plenty of skaters from their country who want to have a world experience.
If the country has "plenty" of skaters, sure :)

BTW, all gold medalists in worlds are also olys medalists. Aren't they supposed to be as "tired" as the others?
Of course. But also some are more tired than others... They can't be equally tired :)

janetfan

Match Penalty
janetfan

LOL
She will be remembered. She didn't say "I want to be Michelle Kwan". Or "I want to have 7 World titles.". She even said that she won't win the Olympic games that she won.
Mao Asada, for example, is not like that at all. She wants to have high scores and win everything. Completely other personality. She is amazing her own way.

So her "countey" and "fans" are to blame?

That is not my concern. If Yuna retires, Mao will be the Queen of figure skating for next season.

Well, Yuna has no obligation to think about your categories, since she has 3 Worlds records and so much medals.

Very original.
This either about what someone like you want since your opinion has no consecuences at all.

Man, you have problems. Who cares about this? The history is history and no one knows how it will turn out. Yuna doesn't have to do anything besides she already did. She will be remembered.

Whining? Oh man, watch yourself... You write like you're drunk.

You say alot but I have no idea what your point is. :think:
For me , if Yuna retires now she will be remembered as a great skater. I was wondering that if Mao continues skating - and wins more medals/titles that it is Mao who may be remebered as the greatest skater of her generation. I seriously doubt if I am the only fan who might think about it that way.

And whatever you say, Yuna has said her goal is to be remembered - and she meant in skating history.
I speculate that she may need to stick around and win a few more medals/titles to reach that goal. I am sure she will always be remebered by her fans and her home counrtry as the greatest of all-time. But others - who have seen many other skaters might still be considering her place in history.

Maybe she continues - which would be great for skating - or maybe she will retire - which is her choice . About her fans /country - I think only an idiot would say they don't put way to much pressure on her. I think if Yuna does retire it will be to lead a normal life and get out of the unbearable spotlight thrust upon her. No 19 year old wants to put up with what Yuna has to - it is unnatural.

ANW

On the Ice
Greatest ever? Winning OGM is not everything, sure Kim deserved the gold medal but her scores were inflated IMO.
Yuna wants to be remebered as one of the greatest skaters of all time and she already has accomplished that. She is the only lady to skate the best programs ever in history of the olympic game. Her world record scores are also there. So, she will be remember as a greatest skater ever unless some skaters can break her record. I didn't mean to disrespect, but I really don't see any current skaters that has the potential or ability to do that.

aurora100

Final Flight
Wow, this thread could go on and on.

Good for Mao, she needed to have a win
(Mao has to wonder how the heck she can still be beaten in LP when she skated her lights out and Yuna had major errors - change coach/choreo get triple triple).
Great Silver for Yuna (Yuna has to wonder how she did all the hard jumps and missed on simple jumps (sal & 2A) and spins - is that what fatigue does?
Feel bad for Mirai - but I am her fan now - she is great skater- look forward to watching more of her;
Finally I saw a half decent performance from Kostner
And hurray for Cynthia - thank you for getting two spots for Canada!

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mao fans should be happy. She got her redemption by winning Worlds coming back from a disappointing Olympic LP skate.
Yu-Na fans should be happy. She got the one color Worlds medal missing from her collection, silver, and we got to see her skate her programs again even though she had nothing to prove to the world. She could have easily chosen to skip this Worlds, but she had the guts to compete.

Both ladies are wonderful and great ambassadors for the sport! :love:

miki88

Medalist
You say alot but I have no idea what your point is. :think:
For me , if Yuna retires now she will be remembered as a great skater. I was wondering that if Mao continues skating - and wins more medals/titles that it is Mao who may be remebered as the greatest skater of her generation. I seriously doubt if I am the only fan who might think about it that way.

And whatever you say, Yuna has said her goal is to be remembered - and she meant in skating history.
I speculate that she may need to stick around and win a few more medals/titles to reach that goal. I am sure she will always be remebered by her fans and her home counrtry as the greatest of all-time. But others - who have seen many other skaters might still be considering her place in history.

Maybe she continues - which would be great for skating - or maybe she will retire - which is her choice . About her fans /country - I think only an idiot would say they don't put way to much pressure on her. I think if Yuna does retire it will be to lead a normal life and get out of the unbearable spotlight thrust upon her. No 19 year old wants to put up with what Yuna has to - it is unnatural.

Well it depends. If Mao does win more titles and if she wins the gold in Sochi, then I think she could and should also be considered as one of the greatest of her generation. For the general public, I don't think it matters much if she beats a clean Yuna or not, because they just tune in every 4 years and care about who wins the OGM. However, for skating fans it does matter a bit I guess if Yuna retires after this season and Mao realizes this so she aims to beat Yuna's score. I think Plushenko was a bit disappointed that Yagudin did retire so early and they couldn't have a proper match up again, so I am guessing it's the same for Mao.

Lilith11

On the Ice
ANW, the OGM is not everything. MK is certainly a legend even w/out an OGM. But it's not just the fact that she won the OGM, it's the circumstances under which she won it (all that pressure) and how she did it. I doubt 50 years from today, people will remember the scores so much as the performance itself. As for the score... that's subjective. I don't think they were inflated but you do. We agree to disagree. Ultimately, if anything is remembered, it will be her two back-to-back flawless performances done under extreme pressure and executed with grace, elegance, and style. :)