Ladies - LP | Page 54 | Golden Skate

Ladies - LP

Daniel5555

On the Ice
rtureck
Oh please, seriously you have a misunderstanding. As a Michelle fan, I admire and respect her sportsmanship for not taking the glory away from Maria. That is all, I do not demand anything from Michelle, just want her to be happy. Actually it was her coach Frank Caroll who taught Michelle not to make excuses or what may come across as an excuse, not for public image. He did tht because he wanted her to work harder, and that is what coaches are supposed to do.
OK, I get it.
Well, what I think about this. Obviously this is very noble, but I think that he was pushing her too much. I mean, people know anyway who was stronger and, probably, Michelle lost because of that illness. So really there was no reason for her to say something that simply is not true. I mean, the other skater probably is very good one anyway and worked very hard and deserved to win, but we know why that happened. So Michelle did great, but I think nothing would change if she said that she couldn't do her best because of being ill, because this was the truth. While not saying anything bad and respecting her competitor, I don't see where sportsmanship would be hurt, really.

It's not like Plushenko with his excuses (those are real excuses) about judging system and stuff. "I couldn't do my best, because I was ill, I'm sorry" - how that can take someone's glory? If everyone knows that anyway.

Maybe that decision was wise in terms of coaching, but personally I can't agree with this.

About me: I wasn't searching for any excuse for Yuna. It's just that any error has some reason behind, be it error of Yuna, or Mao, or any other skater. So I mentioned it, but nothing more. I really didn't try to take anyone's glory away, I mean Yuna could stay in Canada the whole time and Mao could still win, who knows. I just would like to let you know about what happened, nothing more, nothing else. Mao could maybe have other obstacles that i don't know about and feel free to tell them if that's case. Who knows, maybe she also had a lot of things to do and still she managed to do better than Yuna.

About Yuna: I can assure you that she is not making any excuse for her. She always respected Mao and told that she is a great skater. This very season when asked about why others skaters are not doing as well as she, she said that other will do better later in this season, and she was right.

Last edited:

katymay

Medalist
As far as Flatt: Yes, I think she will move on. This competition, I noticed that she seemed a bit out of shape, if you know what I mean. But Johnny and Tara mentioned something interesting: That they felt that she was robbed on the triple flip UR at the Olympics. Both said that Flatt's triple flips were clean, and that has to be disheartening to a skater.
For the most part though, this competition illustrates why the code of points is better then the old standard. Under the old system, YuNa would have been propped up in the short program, under this system, they could only do so much propping. YuNa had to earn her way back, which of course, she did.

rtureck

Final Flight
rtureck

OK, I get it.
Well, what I think about this. Obviously this is very noble, but I think that he was pushing her too much. I mean, people know anyway who was stronger and, probably, Michelle lost because of that illness. So really there was no reason for her to say something that simply is not true. I mean, the other skater probably is very good one anyway and worked very hard and deserved to win, but we know why that happened. So Michelle did great, but I think nothing would change if she said that she couldn't do her best because of being ill, because this was the truth. While not saying anything bad and respecting her competitor, I don't see where sportsmanship would be hurt, really.

Maybe that decision was wise in terms of coaching, but personally I can't agree with this.
LOL, that is why Frank is the coach of so many olys medalist and the reioging men's OGM, and you are not. By the way he was very good to Michelle, including coaching her without any or much money in return when she was just 12 y/o, so he is not an abusive coach. BTW, did you watch 1999 worlds?

About me: I wasn't searching for any excuse for Yuna. It's just that any error has some reason behind, be it error of Yuna, or Mao, or any other skater. So I mentioned it, but nothing more. I really didn't try to take anyone's glory away, I mean Yuna could stay in Canada the whole time and Mao could still win, who knows. I just would like to let you know about what happened, nothing more, nothing else. Mao could maybe have other obstacles that i don't about and feel free to tell them if that's case. Who knows, maybe she also had a lot of things to do and still she managed to do better than Yuna.
Torino is in the history book, there is no judging controversy. And I agree with you even if
YuNa stayed in Canada, Mao is still capable of beating her.
About Yuna: I can assure you that she is not making any excuse for her. She always respected Mao and told that she is a great skater. This very season when asked about why others skaters are not doing as well as she, she said that other will do better later in this season, and she was right.
If Yuna is not making excuses, I hope her fans are not either. (not saying you are). Now that we have talked about it many rounds, shall we agree to drop the topic of "jet lags" and 'meeting president"? LOL

Last edited:

chloepoco

Medalist
Again, no one is making any excuse. We, as fans of Yuna, were worried about the jet lag while she was still in Canada, because we knew that it's gonna be brutal on her brain. But this is not an excuse, it's just affected her performance negatively.
I think that she could win if Mr. Korean president decided not to meet her. But again, I'm not saying that this is an excuse. At the same time you have to admit that Yuna really could win, because she is capable of much more than she showed.

I think you're contradicting yourself there. But regardless, it really doesn't matter. It's over and done with now; just be happy for for all medalists.

jan

On the Ice
After watching the event again on CBC television I was shocked again that Lepisto won the bronze medal. I would have been happy if Ando or Phaneuf won bronze as they had clean performances. Phaneuf must be kicking her self now that she realized she lost the bronze medal because of a Level 2 spiral sequence instead of her usual 4!

aftertherain

Record Breaker
After watching the event again on CBC television I was shocked again that Lepisto won the bronze medal. I would have been happy if Ando or Phaneuf won bronze as they had clean performances. Phaneuf must be kicking her self now that she realized she lost the bronze medal because of a Level 2 spiral sequence instead of her usual 4!

I guess you have to remember that Miki was in 11th after the SP and that overall score means SP + FS. She definitely did much better than Lepisto in the FS, but it wasn't enough to make up for the mistakes she made in the SP.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I guess you have to remember that Miki was in 11th after the SP and that overall score means SP + FS. She definitely did much better than Lepisto in the FS, but it wasn't enough to make up for the mistakes she made in the SP.

I refuse to think that Lepisto deserved as high PCS as she got for a skate where the jump content was executed that way.

But as for Yu-na's fans making excuses for Yu-na. I'm not in the sense that she still made the decision to go to Korea. Its more of a I kind of was worried that Yu-na would have a hard time delivering performances like she did in Vancover because of all the training interruptions.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
rtureck
LOL, that is why Frank is the coach of so many olys medalist and the reioging men's OGM, and you are not.
Hey, I never tried that! Maybe I have much more potential than you think!

By the way he was very good to Michelle, including coaching her without any or much money in return when she was just 12 y/o, so he is not an abusive coach.
I don't think he was abusive, but still, I think that this particular thing was not necessary. Now, I'm not a coach :)

Torino is in the history book, there is no judging controversy.
Well, some background also can be added to history books.

chloepoco
I think you're contradicting yourself there.
If I said:
I think that she would win if Mr. Korean president decided not to meet her. But again, I'm not saying that this is an excuse.
Then yes, that's a contradiction. But I said "could". Which also means that "she could not win". And doesn't mean that is was impossible to win now.

It must be that, or I completely suck at English. Which is true anyway.

By the way...
I just counted the number of gold medals that had Michelle Kwan without US medals, and she has 19 (not counting juniors and everything before 1995). And Yuna has 13 (not counting juniors)... Not that big difference considering that Michelle was for 10 years and Yuna only for 4. :)
Now I will be killed :) I know someone will track me by my ip and find my home and kill me this night :)

It's just a curiosity.

Really Michelle is a legend and Yuna is objectively... No one knows what she is.

But what janetfan wrote about legacy and other things... It freaks me out and I think this is garbage. Each great skater is unique. Not possible to compare them by medals or something else. And I think that by what Yuna did she can be considered one of the greatest skaters. Even if she retires now. Don't give me that crap about staying for ten years and so. No one can demand anything from her.

Last edited:

janetfan

Match Penalty
rtureck

But what janetfan wrote about legacy and other things... It freaks me out and I think this is garbage. Each great skater is unique. Not possible to compare them by medals or something else. And I think that by what Yuna did she can be considered one of the greatest skaters. Even if she retires now. Don't give me that crap about staying for ten years and so. No one can demand anything from her.

Sorry to "freak you out" :)

I dont mind if you call what I write "garbage" either because you crack me up - in a good way.

I say it again - should Yuna decide to retire and if Mao continues and wins more WC's and another Olympic medal in Sochi I think history may consider her skating legacy greater than Yuna.

That is just an opinion about future possibilities. For all I know - Mao may retire and Yuna will continue. In that case Yuna would have the chance for a greater legacy.

Maybe you don't belive in legacies but it feels more like you can't bear any thoughts of any type where Mao may do better than Yuna.

Why take it so personally - these are just thoughts at a skating board. Yuna was not at her best at this Worlds and Mao won her 2nd major title. Maybe next year if both girls are around Yuna will win.

Who knows - maybe Laura will win as she is such a stylish skater. :)

Last edited:

Now I will be killed :) I know someone will track me by my ip and find my home and kill me this night :)

Not to worry. Us aging over-the-hill Michelle-bots -- we are not computer savvy enough to trace peoples IPs. :laugh:

Now if you had said something mean about ManoukGiijsman, evidentally you would be in big trouble. :yes:

silverlake22

Record Breaker
This was such a weird event. The first group was arguably the most exciting because they actually went for their jumps. I mean poor Kwak was limping on the ice, in obvious pain, and still managed to land her triple lutz and triple flip. Manouk Gisman got 65 points for her FS but she went for every darn jump and didn't give up and so I enjoyed watching her. Sarah Hecken had one of the best performances of the night, she attacked every jump and was happy with her score of 98. I actually think it's somewhat ridiculous that Laura got 114 points for a FS with 3 triples, two of them triple TOES, the easiest triple. That maybe deserved to win a medal at a NOVICE competition but come on. Yuna is awesome but I don't get the score of 130 for a program with a fall and a pop. Reliable Rachael skipping the 3-3 and popping the lutz and being totally fine with it - ok? Mirai at least went for the jumps but the downgrades she has still not completely overcome. Good to see Caro redeem herself and Miki and Mao did well, but Akiko, she's a joy to watch but she really needs to become more consistent - first group for the FS as a GPF medalist at age 24? Kiira, Elene, Julia inconsistent as usual, I don't even know how Kiira managed an 82, she popped almost every jump! Cynthia was good but thank goodness she was after skate canada...

janetfan

Match Penalty
Not to worry. Us aging over-the-hill Michelle-bots -- we are not computer savvy enough to trace peoples IPs. :laugh:

Now if you had said something mean about ManoukGiijsman, evidentally you would be in big trouble. :yes:

I am so over the hill I don't know what an IP is let alone how to trace one. :)

But I do know enough never to mess with Manouk! :p

Lilith11

On the Ice
:agree: Lark is a great program. I'll be satisfied with the videos, though. Yu-Na has associated Lark Ascending with the pain from her injury that season. And for me, it serves as a sort of snapshot, a teasing glimpse of future greatness, the beginning of one skater's rise to the top. I wonder if David Wilson was prescient in that sense. It was a perfect program for Yu-Na at that stage in her career, when she was really starting to 'fly'.

ITA w/everything you said :) Lark is such an emotional program with these small nuances and little touches that just make it beautiful. And Yu-na! She's so delicate and ethereal in it. Did I mention I love, love the outfit too lols? It'd be awesome to see her do this program w/all seven (perhaps eight if Orser teaches her the axel lols? XD) AND her improved spirals, spins, and maturity. And it's like "Yes, she has ascended now". David Wilson is just... he's just the perfect/right choreographer for Yu-na; he knows her strengths, her weaknesses, and showcases her strengths (speed and jumps and artistry) so well. And he milks the CoP system like no other ;D

My god... are we going back to the whole legacy argument? Let's keep it at this; longevity is always a plus, but what you accomplish iin the time that you skate competitively is what really shines. Please, could we just settle it? You agree to disagree. And that's perfectly fine.

Last edited:

miki88

Medalist
In my opinion, Mirai, with a little maturing, really has what it takes to exceed both Mao and Yuna (if she doesn't retire). She has the speed, flow, the flexibility, lines, position, ability to engage the audience. She's really the whole package. However, what she needs now is mental toughness. Yuna and Michelle are two of the best competitors I've ever seen. They are usually unfazed about pressure. The struggles have made Mao tougher mentally, and I hope this is what will happen to Mirai, because she is really the future.

Daniel5555

On the Ice
janetfan
Maybe you don't belive in legacies but it feels more like you can't bear any thoughts of any type where Mao may do better than Yuna.
You are absolutely wrong here. The skater that is better should do better. If that's Mao or someone else, it's ok. I respect Mao very much, in some things she is clearly superior than Yuna like in her flexibility and her 3A.

That's what I wrote about Mao:
She was amazing. Actually she was almost perfect. Probably we can say that this season she was learning 3A and it seems that in the end she really learnt it, which means that she will be amazing in the next season.
Mao Asada proved that she is really an exceptional skater with incredible mental strength. Starting so bad earlier and then getting an Olympic silver medal and her second World championships gold medal, what I can say, she must be proud of herself. However it looks like she will never be satisfied until she beats Yuna's scores. Well, she can do it for sure. Next season...

And that's about Yuna:
The best skater (just the best): ok, who else could do this? Yuna Kim after having jetlag from two consecutive flies to and from Korea, cold and post-Olympic feeling of emptiness and lack of motivation was able to jump from 7th place after short program straight to the 2nd place. Even tired and basically burnt out she was able to perform very good LP with an amazing grace. She had a fall and popped jump, but give her a break, she was amazing. Well deserved silver and another remarkable performance. This time I'm really happy because of the outcome like this.
Is it that bad to write "the best skater" when you're a fan of that skater?? And I wrote about jetlag to underline how good it is that she finished 2nd, because she could finish off the podium.

That's how I'm being unfair to Mao?

Why take it so personally - these are just thoughts at a skating board.
Because you while supposedly being fan of Yuna write unfair things about her, then suggest that her legacy is not enough and comparing her to Kristi-Oksana-etc and Michelle Kwan (and later people thought that it's me who started it while I hate to compare people).
I don't know how it's possible to compare great skaters, I always thought that they are all great and it's impossible to say, that, for example, Midori Ito is better than Michelle Kwan, etc, because they were both great and they never competed against each other.
The same goes with Yuna. Why the hell she has to do something in order to stay in your personal list of I don't know what skaters?

Michelle Kwan had serious health problems because of competing so much. I don't want Yuna to go through the same thing, she has enough health problems already.

And her legacy is enough, she is comparable to Midori Ito in terms of what she did to Korea, she has enough medals comparing to everyone and she has a lot of historical performances and she is one the best skaters technically and artistically. If there will be new good skaters from Korea, that's because of Yuna. Mao will never have something like this.

Then, if Mao will have bigger legacy, like being first one to jump 3 quadruples in her program, I'll be GLAD for her. I want her to do really well and I want every victory of Yuna to be fair. If someone was better than Yuna, then I want that someone to win. But I think that Yuna is better than everybody - I have my reasons. That's all.

Last edited:

Lyanpark

Rinkside
In my opinion, Mirai, with a little maturing, really has what it takes to exceed both Mao and Yuna (if she doesn't retire). She has the speed, flow, the flexibility, lines, position, ability to engage the audience. She's really the whole package. However, what she needs now is mental toughness. Yuna and Michelle are two of the best competitors I've ever seen. They are usually unfazed about pressure. The struggles have made Mao tougher mentally, and I hope this is what will happen to Mirai, because she is really the future.

To exceed both Yuna and Mao, I strongly think Mirai really needs to work hard.

First, she doesn't have a very strong jump like Yuna's 3-3 and Mao's 3A. Under the COP, jumps are very crucial to the point. Yuna and Mao both were first well-known for their great jump during Junior's seasons. I feel it is really hard to improve the jumps at the senior level.(Maintaining is possible but mastering jumps at senior, I am doubtful)

Second, Mirai is lack of experience which Yuna and Mao have had. Yuna have never been out of podiums and Mao have been in podiums most of her careers(2 times out of podium, I guess). This is something that we often see as a top skater. Btw, I feel Mirai haven't had those experience yet.

Seeing the rest of Mirai's generation, I see why Mirai is called "The future" and it will be interesting if Mirai could peform like the Oly(Which I am so impressed), upcoming season will be her biggest chance to reach Yuna and Mao.

Last edited:

Artistry

On the Ice
I don't really understand how Mao's brilliant performance today would have scored LOWER than the tepid one given by Kim on PCS, especially when Kim totally went out of character following her mistakes.
Mao was on fire, but Kim wasn't inspired TODAY. This should be fairly reflected in the PCS marks, including the performance/execution mark, but it wasn't.

Thus, I believe that the system sucks and even though I'm happy for Mao, I think she is getting unfair treatment.
Was there a japanese judge on the panel, to balance the Korean one? I saw some really questionable GOE and PCS numbers from Mao from one particular judge.