Ladies - LP | Page 56 | Golden Skate

Ladies - LP

chachacha

Rinkside
)Michelle had quite an Olympic moment in 1998, it just happened to be slightly outshone by Tara's. It's a shame. These were both better than Kristi's 1992 Oly's performance.

Michelle 1998 olympic skating is juniorish, costume look cheap, nothing elegant. The TES is not really good either. she not able to stand on of her 3-2 combo. She has to make a lot of turn in between before she can add the 2T. She also didn't have two 3-3's. That's why she lost the gold medal to Tara.

Last edited:

YN fan

Rinkside
I agree with you.

I don't get the logic of some posters who say things like "Michelle has 5 World titles and YuNa and Mao only have 3 between them." Umm, YuNa and Mao both only attended 4 World Championships. Hello? Brain? Are you there? :confused:

And actually, Michelle had quite an Olympic moment in 1998, it just happened to be slightly outshone by Tara's. It's a shame. These were both better than Kristi's 1992 Oly's performance.

The performance matters. :)

Oh ok, I've seen some old clips of Michelle Kwan and they were awesome but I don't remember if it was the 1998 olympic. I'll go check it out again later, thanks.

Lilith11

On the Ice
Chachacha, I'm sorry but I believe it's insulting to describe MK in that fashion -_- I'm sorry but that's straight up bashing and disrespectful to a skating LEGEND like Michelle. Yes, we all have our preferences and we're all entitled to our opinons; but there's something called tact and manners. And class. I'll keep it at that.

How does a fall take away from Yuna's pcs?

IMO, after each of Yu-na's technical mistakes (especially in the short program), she completely abandoned the character of the choreography and interpretation for some time. This should have been reflected in PE/INT/CHOREO. Instead, it seemed like the judges were scoring her components like they were remembering Trophee Eric Bompard instead of looking at the skating in front of them.

Mao, on the other hand -- this was the first time this season (including the Olympic LP) where she achieved -- I won't say mastery over her music, but at least an equal partnership.

miki88

Medalist
IMO, after each of Yu-na's technical mistakes (especially in the short program), she completely abandoned the character of the choreography and interpretation for some time. This should have been reflected in PE/INT/CHOREO. Instead, it seemed like the judges were scoring her components like they were remembering Trophee Eric Bompard instead of looking at the skating in front of them.

Mao, on the other hand -- this was the first time this season (including the Olympic LP) where she achieved -- I won't say mastery over her music, but at least an equal partnership.

:thumbsup: PCS scores always leaves me scratching my head. :think:

hongligl

Final Flight
Good job Cynthia Phaneuf! Thank you very much for getting 2 stops for Canada and for your 5th placement! Quite something for the first trip (?) to the World!

Mirai is just adorable! She' so talented and she is the future!

Poor Mao, her 3A is better than a lot of the men's. She deserved to win both the FS and the total, even I'm a bigger fan of Yu-Na's.

brianjyw

Rinkside
Mao deserves higher PCS than Yuna, because she gave a better performance and it was pretty obvious.

:confused: IMHO, a clean skate doesn't necessarily mean a better performance.

Well I am not a staunch supporter of the new system, and I think PCS is more subjective than the second score in 6.0. I don't think Yuna would have gotten higher second marks under 6.0
:p I am glad that Yuna doesn't have to skate under 6.0 judging system.:biggrin:

Oh ok, I've seen some old clips of Michelle Kwan and they were awesome but I don't remember if it was the 1998 olympic. I'll go check it out again later, thanks.

Instead, you could check out the 1998 U.S. Nationals performance of the same program. It is regarded as one of Michelle's all-time best..

The program had seven triples, by the way, in both performances.

miki88

Medalist
:confused: IMHO, a clean skate doesn't necessarily mean a better performance.

:p I am glad that Yuna doesn't have to skate under 6.0 judging system.:biggrin:

:confused: Are you sure she gave the better performance today though? Well if you think so, then fine. But I don't and we're entitled to our own opinions.

ultimatebabe

Spectator
Yuna:

(SP: 3F< + misses a spin + misses a position in SpSq) + ( FS: falls on 3S with no < + misses a 2A)
= still comes out top in FS
= comes out 2nd OVERALL.

I mean, Wow, what a lady --- Seriously, what chance does this lady leave for any other of her fellow skaters?

Btw, she got +2.2O (GOE) for her 3Lz+3T (FS); +2.00 for 3F (FS); 2A+3T (FS); and +1.80 for 3Lz+3T (SP).

Also a very BIG hand for Miki and Carolina, so good to see them giving so much more solid FS than in the olympics.

Well done for coming back from last year's performance for mao. Though, if she decides to compete next year, she'll have to address the 3A< issue.

Totally agree.
I think they should disclose the nationality of judges and explain how they put GOE - it's so difficult to understand plus since the share of GOE is big compared with the basical score, the influence of GOE makes extraordinary result....
They can "make a skater win" by using GOE and DG, which I think is against justice...

brianjyw

Rinkside
i agree with you mostly (but i hope you understand that yu-na never made any excuses. She's being a very classy loser). Don't be so mad. No one said mao didn't win fair and square. I'm just saying i wish yu-na could've performed better, esp. In the sp, and i think most people here would share that sentiment. Both yu-na and mao are great, but hey you win some you lose some. You have your on-nights and your off-nights. That's all :)

ITA. :thumbsup:

brianjyw

Rinkside
:confused: Are you sure she gave the better performance today though? Well if you think so, then fine. But I don't and we're entitled to our own opinions.

Well ... it depends on what kind of performance you are referring to. Since we are talking about PCS, can you tell me what scores Mao and Yuna each should have gotten for each component - skating skills (SS), (2) transitions (TR), (3) performance/execution (PE), (4) choreography (CH), and (5) interpretation (IN)?:think:

R.D.

Record Breaker
You know, the more I think about it, the more this could actually be a blessing in disguise for Nagasu. Yes, it hurts to drop from winning position to OTP. But I think it's better she didn't win, because now the pressure will be off her somewhat. If she can regain her confidence it will work IN her favor next season. Look what happened to Meissner, surprise winner in 2006. Everything seemed to come at once for her, and once you're on top, of course, there is nowhere to go but down. And down she went, of course. For Nagasu, there's probably nowhere to go but up at this point, at least in her mind. In reality, she must realize that all is not lost. She needs to allow this disappointment to make her stronger.

What sucks though is that her meltdown led to the US being unable to get back that third spot. So next year she could very well miss worlds in another strong National field like this year.

evangeline

Record Breaker
Michelle 1998 olympic skating is juniorish, costume look cheap, nothing elegant. The TES is not really good either. she not able to stand on of her 3-2 combo. She has to make a lot of turn in between before she can add the 2T. She also didn't have two 3-3's. That's why she lost the gold medal to Tara.

:eek: I--I don't even...what...*clutches her closet Kwaniac pearls*

I wonder if you know that Yu-Na has said that when she was younger, she watched Michelle Kwan's 1998 Olympic performances over and over again until she memorized every move.

chachacha

Rinkside
:agree::agree:
Well ... it depends on what kind of performance you are referring to. Since we are talking about PCS, can you tell me what scores Mao and Yuna each should have gotten for each component - skating skills (SS), (2) transitions (TR), (3) performance/execution (PE), (4) choreography (CH), and (5) interpretation (IN)?:think:

YAY, You're SO COOL! brianjyw :agree: let see how they gonna asnwer this :laugh:

YN fan

Rinkside
Instead, you could check out the 1998 U.S. Nationals performance of the same program. It is regarded as one of Michelle's all-time best..

The program had seven triples, by the way, in both performances.

Cool !!!!!! thanks. I'll definitely check that out. Hey Mathman, can I ask you a personal question ? I've always wanted to ask you this. Were you Michelle Kwan's ex-training mate or her coach or her agent or her secret long lost brother ?? I mean I've been browsing this forum for a while and I've read a lot of your commnets here and you seem to know everything about Michelle Kwan (and skating for that matter...). How ???? are you her uncle ? if you are, can you get me her atograph please? jk. anyways, thanks.

Toby1Dawg

Rinkside
What are you trying to start chachacha? Costume was Vera Wang (cut and fit perfectly matching music of about clouds). Count how many different triples she did. She also spun in both directions. Who knows what would have happened had she skated later in the group. We just saw Lepisto get the bronze with a double loop double toe. Michelle's 98 program would have won gold at any other Olympics except Vancouver.