Ladies - LP | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Ladies - LP

silverlake22

Record Breaker
So I come back to this point: Why do we even have a Worlds weeks after the Olympic Games? It's just cruel, useless and anticlimactic.

I agree. Although I guess for the people that didn't do well at the Olympics it's an opportunity to redeem themselves. I just think most people will have a good olympics and a bad worlds or a bad olympics and a good worlds, and those few special ones will have a good olympics and a good worlds.

ryoko

Rinkside
She definitely seemed faster. I think she is just very tired and her scores here were a fluke, plus I think she thought she wasn't going to the FS and was upset and then when she found out she was going it was kind of hard to get prepaired for it. Now that she's with Orser I think she'll show great improvement next season, URs aren't normally an issue for her, and she has the goods, she just needs to get tougher mentally. But hey, look how far Mirai has come in a year, so it's encouraging what a difference a good coach can make.

I know. and this was her 8th competition in this season :eek:
isn't that so awful. But I saw how she worked on her choreography (possibly some help from Wilson?). I hope MJ gets some good rest and have fun in toronto. I'm really looking forward to seeing her again next season.

auser

Record Breaker
I'm sure I won't be able to get on here later, and I don't have a feed. It's making me feel that I'm hearing about an event that's taking place in another dimension. I just wanted to wish all the ladies the best skate that's in them. I really hope Mao wins this one. She has one of the world's great smiles, and I'd love to see it this weekend. And Mirai, stay serene!

where are you .. looking for N America, Europe, Asia feed?

dlgpffps

Final Flight
FOr people like Carolina Kostner to redeem themselves and gain confidence after cracking under Olympic pressure. No one is forcing these skaters to enter! Plus, what about all those who failed to qualify for the olympics, such as Tamar Katz. She only would have competed once this year, at Euros!

Yeah, you're right. Sorry to beat the dead horse. This debate occurs every Worlds after the OG. I'm just frustrated to think some skaters are just too tired after a long year to perform their best. I can't even begin to fathom how draining performing in one competition is, let alone two practically back to back.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So I come back to this point: Why do we even have a Worlds weeks after the Olympic Games? It's just cruel, useless and anticlimactic.

I don't think so. We saw some great performances in pairs. I mean for S&S to finally do that "Out of Africa" program so nicely was great to see after their disappointment at the Olympics. Davidson and Dube did better here (at least in the LP)...so did the American pairs. And of course Pang and Tong were amazing!

And have you seen Ice Dance? Davis and White got little medals because they won the free dance with a performance that was even better than Vancouver. We got to see the Frence ice dance team do a fun clown program (instead of hearing Requium for a Dream AGAIN..I swear that soundtrack is becoming the next Carmen for Pairs/Ice Dance)

And Dice-K (Daisuke Takahashi) attempted a quad flip! So no, I don't think it's useless.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
I don't think Brian Orser will allow MJ to get too upset. He clearly sees the potential in her and wants her to know that despite the result, that she has it.

I sure hope so. She was such a breath of fresh air at 4CC and the Olympics, it was sad to see her struggle here. She's in good company though, seeing that even Queen Yuna had an off night yesterday. I also wonder if not having a day in between the SP and the FS is tough for skaters? I know I'd be tired.

janetfan

Match Penalty
I agree. Although I guess for the people that didn't do well at the Olympics it's an opportunity to redeem themselves. I just think most people will have a good olympics and a bad worlds or a bad olympics and a good worlds, and those few special ones will have a good olympics and a good worlds.

This is nothing new. They always have Worlds even in Olympic years. In the old days, before the GP skaters did not have as many competitions. Who is the last Lady OC to win Worlds - was it Kristi back in '92?

skatemom1122

Final Flight
Yeah, you're right. Sorry to beat the dead horse. This debate occurs every Worlds after the OG. I'm just frustrated to think some skaters are just too tired after a long year to perform their best. I can't even begin to fathom how draining performing in one competition is, let alone two practically back to back.

I can see what you mean! It is a very long and stressful season out there. I think that a worlds should definetly be held, but I think the top skaters should give themselves a break! No one is forcing them to come, and I think they should just take it easy. I was shocked that Yu-Na was competing, and look what happened. These seasons are a big burden on skaters, emotionally and physically, and sometimes I think they do not realize their limits.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I sure hope so. She was such a breath of fresh air at 4CC and the Olympics, it was sad to see her struggle here. She's in good company though, seeing that even Queen Yuna had an off night yesterday. I also wonder if not having a day in between the SP and the FS is tough for skaters? I know I'd be tired.

There's quite a bit of discussion about that. And the answer is perhaps? 4CC and Olympics both had a day off for the Ladies between competitions, but not the GPF. But I think not having a day off is probably more typical?

janetfan

Match Penalty
I can see what you mean! It is a very long and stressful season out there. I think that a worlds should definetly be held, but I think the top skaters should give themselves a break! No one is forcing them to come, and I think they should just take it easy. I was shocked that Yu-Na was competing, and look what happened. These seasons are a big burden on skaters, and sometimes I think they do not realize their limits.

Mao and Akiko did Natls and 4CC. Akiko also did the GPF. I am sure some are very tired.
Yuna did not have to do a Natls and skipped 4cc - but she was still training all of that time for the Olympics. So yes, it is a long season.

I wonder if Yuna is here mostly to keep two spots for Korea next season at Worlds?

miki88

Medalist
I can see what you mean! It is a very long and stressful season out there. I think that a worlds should definetly be held, but I think the top skaters should give themselves a break! No one is forcing them to come, and I think they should just take it easy. I was shocked that Yu-Na was competing, and look what happened. These seasons are a big burden on skaters, emotionally and physically, and sometimes I think they do not realize their limits.

Well, skaters have their reasons for participating. Miki wants redemption. Mao because she hasn't had two performances she was satisfied with this season. Yuna came because I think she really wants to defend her title. Edit: It was Kristi Yamaguchi, who was the last to win Worlds after Olympics.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
This is nothing new. They always have Worlds even in Olympic years. In the old days, before the GP skaters did not have as many competitions. Who is the last Lady OC to win Worlds - was it Kristi back in '92?

Yes. In fact she was the last OGM to actually not skip Worlds. It's been a while! But one thing to think about is that in 1992, we didn't have the Grand Prix like it is today. I mean people did GP events, but there wasn't a final, so there was quite a bit of space between the GP events and the Olympics. So I think the lack of OGMs in Worlds also reflects that.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Well, skaters have their reasons for participating. Miki wants redemption. Mao because she hasn't had two performances she was satisfied with this season. Yuna came because I think she really wants to defend her title. The last skater who did it after the Olympics was Witt I believe.

Actually Kristi Yamaguchi did it in 1992. (She won with teh U.S. medal sweep in 1991. Wow...it would be tough to do that today!)

ryoko

Rinkside
Mao and Akiko did Natls and 4CC. Akiko also did the GPF. I am sure some are very tired.
Yuna did not have to do a Natls and skipped 4cc - but she was still training all of that time for the Olympics. So yes, it is a long season.

I wonder if Yuna is here mostly to keep two spots for Korea next season at Worlds?

I am sure that is the case- Korean skating union wouldn't have let her skip the event.

beep_beep

Medalist
Gosh its a long break between groups.

It's meant to. It's part of the cost cutting thing for the ISU: show the fist group too early, 'cause you know, no one is going to watch, wait for a loooong while, and the go on and throw the whole circus for the other groups, the ones that are worth it! :scowl:

...and they're warming up!

Nadia01

Final Flight
I think everyone is getting fatigued! But yes, I think it's a lot for Akiko considering that she's only doing GP events and 4CC in 2009. I think we are so used by Akiko and her charm and skill that we forget that this is her world's championships debut!

Akiko wasn't planning to compete at the Worlds, but she had to b/c Yukari w/d.