Ladies - LP | Page 61 | Golden Skate

Ladies - LP

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Miki would have got the bronze if she had better SP; do not forget it was worth 1/3 while the old system was there and she would have been 5th on that time.
If we look scores of this competition the podium, but count the placements like in old days, the podium had been this

I think both Cynthia and Ksenia suffered a little bit because they skated so early in SP. Cynthia suffers also to not to be number 1. skater in Canada, sometimes I feel it effects a little.

You may not like it but PAST performances counts when it comes to PCS. Throughout this season, I believe Yuna always had higher PCS (please correct me if I am wrong). So Yuna had an advantage here. A good example is ... remember how everyone liked how Mirai did her LP at the Olympics? But she got 6 points less than Mao who made 2 mistakes which should have affected her PCS...

About the bolded sentence, no, I do not like it. I do not like it at all. :cry: What kind of sport awards points in today's championship for accomplishments six months ago?

I do believe that Yu-na Kim received higher scores for Interpretation of this year's so-so Gershwin because she did a good job of interpreting last years wonderful LP music. :eek:hwell:

I believe she got higher scores in Choreography at this competition, not because she did a good job of delivering the intent of the choreograpphy in this performance but becasue she had done so at Eric Bompard.

This is a terrible flaw and weakness in the ISU judging system, IMHO.

Mao Asada scored higher in program components than the youthful Mirai Nagasu at the Olympics, despite some technical mistakes, because she skated better, with respect to the criteria for the components. I have no quarrel with that. It is the feeling that "we should give high marks to a skater because we know she is really better that what we just saw" -- no, I can't go along with that at all.

Last edited:
We can argue back and forth about why YuNa was not at her best in the Worlds, but I don't think any of us can understand the pressure she's under or the wattage of the spotlight on her. She's the first, only, and best skater Korea has ever had. (I think Lily Lee trained in the U.S. and skated for Korea, so I'm not counting her.) She's a national hero who's the equivalent of Michael Jordan, Madonna, and Charles Lindbergh rolled into one. She's even an embodiment of women's rights. I think she feels tremendous obligations to travel around, meet the President, meet with sponsors, attend ceremonies, and so on. She's mobbed the way the Beatles or that guy from the Twilight movies are mobbed. And she caught a cold. Besides that, if she hadn't shown up at Worlds, Korea would not have two spots for next year, because at this moment in Korea's skating program, she's literally irreplaceable.

These aren't excuses at all. She hasn't done any whining. Some days you do your best, and other days your legs aren't under you on the ice. But keep this in mind as you evaluate Kim. From everything I see, she is the most prominent person in Korea bar none, even including the U.N. Secretary-General--and she's still a teenager. My hat's off to her for showing up and for doing as well as she did. I wouldn't presume to criticize her unless I could fill her shoes for a second and a half. And I couldn't even handle the stuff she does off the ice. I would presume to add that neither could any of the rest of the GS membership.

miki88

Medalist
About the bolded sentence, no, I do not like it. I do not like it at all. :cry: What kind of sport awards points in today's championship for accomplishments six months ago?

I do believe that Yu-na Kim received higher scores for Interpretation of this year's so-so Gershwin because she did a good job of interpreting last years wonderful LP music. :eek:hwell:

I believe she got higher scores in Choreography at this competition, not because she did a good job of delivering the intent of the choreograpphy in this performance but becasue she had done so at Eric Bompard.

This is a terrible flaw and weakness in the ISU judging system, IMHO.

Mao Asada scored higher in program components than the youthful Mirai Nagasu at the Olympics, despite some technical mistakes, because she skated better, with respect to the criteria for the components. I have no quarrel with that. It is the feeling that "we should give high marks to a skater because we know she is really better that what we just saw" -- no, I can't go along with that at all.

:thumbsup: Well said. I couldn't have said it better.

cooper

Medalist
We can argue back and forth about why YuNa was not at her best in the Worlds, but I don't think any of us can understand the pressure she's under or the wattage of the spotlight on her. She's the first, only, and best skater Korea has ever had. (I think Lily Lee trained in the U.S. and skated for Korea, so I'm not counting her.) She's a national hero who's the equivalent of Michael Jordan, Madonna, and Charles Lindbergh rolled into one. She's even an embodiment of women's rights. I think she feels tremendous obligations to travel around, meet the President, meet with sponsors, attend ceremonies, and so on. She's mobbed the way the Beatles or that guy from the Twilight movies are mobbed. And she caught a cold. Besides that, if she hadn't shown up at Worlds, Korea would not have two spots for next year, because at this moment in Korea's skating program, she's literally irreplaceable.

These aren't excuses at all. She hasn't done any whining. Some days you do your best, and other days your legs aren't under you on the ice. But keep this in mind as you evaluate Kim. From everything I see, she is the most prominent person in Korea bar none, even including the U.N. Secretary-General--and she's still a teenager. My hat's off to her for showing up and for doing as well as she did. I wouldn't presume to criticize her unless I could fill her shoes for a second and a half. And I couldn't even handle the stuff she does off the ice. I would presume to add that neither could any of the rest of the GS membership.

THIS. :agree:

kalle

On the Ice
Just want to share some of my thoughts after seeing the ladies live yesterday.

You could tell it was the end of a long season but there were some really good programs and I especially got "touched" by Carolinas performance.You could almost feel every move and it was heartbreaking to see her crying afterwards, finally happy tears and great deal of relief I think. The audience was fantastic and rooting for her to do well all the way through. I have never been a big fan but I was really happy for her to be able to finish this rough season on a high note.

Being a Swede, I was also impressed by Victorias skate!She does not have the fantastic basics as the Finnish girls but boy she can jump, good height especially on her 3R. I think her mother trains her and it was so funny to see her jump up and down after her skate (you know, Swedes does not always displays affection very openly!)

I have always liked Miki but this season has been a luckluster in my eyes..Seems like the motivation is not the same and no attack as I have previously seen from her. Even if she did her jumps nicely, Cynthias Cleopatra was way above Mikis in terms of presentation.
I have never seen Cynthia live before but she captivated me from the first note of her program. I loved her clean jumps and the overall layout of the program.

In my eyes, Yuna and Maos programs were a bit bland.I cannot see why Yuna gote 130 with those mistakes but I am not a judge.I still liked the program even though I would love to see her skating to something more dramatic next season. Also, her 3L/3T is a great but I will always prefer her 3F/3T, she got much more flow out with that combination.

Mao started to live up in the end of her program and I was so happy to see her smile again!She deserved her title very much :clap:
I would have put her in first place after the long even if she did not "touch" me as much emotionally as Carolinas and Cynthias skates.

Laura was a bit bland too but she always keep her programs "together" so nicely despite the jump errors.For me, her program was the best choreographed this season a long with Mirais.

Yes Mirai, what to say :love:
I am a big fan and was so happy to get the opportunity to see her live for the first time! I got the impression that she was way too nervous being in first place after the short.
During the warm up, she often searched Franks calming words and hands but I guess, there is only so much a trainer can do!
It was kind of interesting to see them together and I believe they will do very good next season.
You can see that she has it all, all the way out to the fingertips!
Her warm up was so effortless and with very good jumps (I am not very good at see UR though) , the 2A/3T is gorgeous. You got the feeling that she let her first jumping pass affect her for the rest of the performance and I think this is were it shows that she does not have that much experience comparing to ladies like Carolina and Laura (that often do mistakes but still hold their programs together). I am positive that Mirai has champion caliber, she will go home, bringing all this experience with her (I mean, we saw her brilliance and potential at the olympics) work very hard and be well prepared for next season. I wonder if touring in the US (is it with Stars on ice?) will do her good in terms of playing with the audience and work on her presentation skills. She is a crowd pleaser though and it was nice to see the Palavela public respond so well to her program despite the mistakes.

On a side note, I also become a big fan of Rippon, what a fantastic skater, just lovely to watch!

I met some of the skaters outside the competition and they were all very sweet, great experience overall and a bit sad that the season is over :cry:

I will add some pictures later on.

Sorry about any spelling mistakes.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Haha, the same everywhere. I got an angry attack when I said Yuna was overscored in PCS. It's kind of annoying that you won't be forgiven without making a defensive statement like "I have been a great fan of Yuna/Mao since 2006, but I still feel....," "I much prefer Yuna/Mao to Mao/Yuna, but still think..." (and sometimes you are still not forgiven).
Laura landed a fantastic 3-3 and her skating skills are also truly good. But let's just say that the competition was overall quite underwhelming with too many Olympic burnouts. I don't think that this is going to be the norm for the next three years.

Yeah, it's like being accused of being a Tara hater/basher when you show disapproval of some of her commentary. You can't have an honest opinion. No, it's because you're holding a 12 year grudge over MK not winning Olympic gold. :laugh::rolleye:

Lilith11

On the Ice

You are my hero, my hero I say! XD Like the saying goes, "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. "

janetfan

Match Penalty
Just want to share some of my thoughts after seeing the ladies live yesterday.

You could tell it was the end of a long season but there were some really good programs and I especially got "touched" by Carolinas performance.You could almost feel every move and it was heartbreaking to see her crying afterwards, finally happy tears and great deal of relief I think. The audience was fantastic and rooting for her to do well all the way through. I have never been a big fan but I was really happy for her to be able to finish this rough season on a high note.

Being a Swede, I was also impressed by Victorias skate!She does not have the fantastic basics as the Finnish girls but boy she can jump, good height especially on her 3R. I think her mother trains her and it was so funny to see her jump up and down after her skate (you know, Swedes does not always displays affection very openly!)

I have always liked Miki but this season has been a luckluster in my eyes..Seems like the motivation is not the same and no attack as I have previously seen from her. Even if she did her jumps nicely, Cynthias Cleopatra was way above Mikis in terms of presentation.
I have never seen Cynthia live before but she captivated me from the first note of her program. I loved her clean jumps and the overall layout of the program.

In my eyes, Yuna and Maos programs were a bit bland.I cannot see why Yuna gote 130 with those mistakes but I am not a judge.I still liked the program even though I would love to see her skating to something more dramatic next season. Also, her 3L/3T is a great but I will always prefer her 3F/3T, she got much more flow out with that combination.

Mao started to live up in the end of her program and I was so happy to see her smile again!She deserved her title very much :clap:
I would have put her in first place after the long even if she did not "touch" me as much emotionally as Carolinas and Cynthias skates.

Laura was a bit bland too but she always keep her programs "together" so nicely despite the jump errors.For me, her program was the best choreographed this season a long with Mirais.

Yes Mirai, what to say :love:
I am a big fan and was so happy to get the opportunity to see her live for the first time! I got the impression that she was way too nervous being in first place after the short.
During the warm up, she often searched Franks calming words and hands but I guess, there is only so much a trainer can do!
It was kind of interesting to see them together and I believe they will do very good next season.
You can see that she has it all, all the way out to the fingertips!
Her warm up was so effortless and with very good jumps (I am not very good at see UR though) , the 2A/3T is gorgeous. You got the feeling that she let her first jumping pass affect her for the rest of the performance and I think this is were it shows that she does not have that much experience comparing to ladies like Carolina and Laura (that often do mistakes but still hold their programs together). I am positive that Mirai has champion caliber, she will go home, bringing all this experience with her (I mean, we saw her brilliance and potential at the olympics) work very hard and be well prepared for next season. I wonder if touring in the US (is it with Stars on ice?) will do her good in terms of playing with the audience and work on her presentation skills. She is a crowd pleaser though and it was nice to see the Palavela public respond so well to her program despite the mistakes.

On a side note, I also become a big fan of Rippon, what a fantastic skater, just lovely to watch!

I met some of the skaters outside the competition and they were all very sweet, great experience overall and a bit sad that the season is over :cry:

I will add some pictures later on.

Sorry about any spelling mistakes.

Thanks for such a nice, detailed report. I agree with much of what you said especially about Cynthia. It was nice seeing her skate so well.
I enjoyed Victoria too and good to see Sweden with such a nice skater.

I am jealous because I have never seen Mirai skate Live - but she has become my favorite. Maybe that is to be expected since I am from USA

Part of me wished Mirai had delivered yesterday - just to eliminate the fight over the bronze medal.
I happen to enjoy Laura's skating and unlike many others I was fine with her winning the bronze.

Miki had the bad SP and like you i am not sold on her LP although she seemed to have a bit more spark yesterday than at the Olympics.
And it was good to see Caro get so much support and to end her season on a better note.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Yeah, it's like being accused of being a Tara hater/basher when you show disapproval of some of her commentary. You can't have an honest opinion. No, it's because you're holding a 12 year grudge over MK not winning Olympic gold. :laugh::rolleye:

*cough*ME.*cough*

She's definitely better than MK in commentating though, I have to admit.

Toby1Dawg

Rinkside
Hmm. I am trying to think of who these bunches of skaters might be, who have done a 7-triple program with no triple-triple. I believe that the only current skater who can do it is Akiko Shizuki.

Michelle did 7-triple programs eleven times in major competitions in her career. I am not so familiar with the records of Asada and Kim, so I am not sure how many times those skaters completed 7 triples. Not recently, I believe.

Thank you Mathman! 7 triple programs are difficult and not commonplace. There weren't bunches of female skaters who did 7 triple programs without 3-3s. Again, Michelle also did all the triples except the Axel!

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hmm. I am trying to think of who these bunches of skaters might be, who have done a 7-triple program with no triple-triple. I believe that the only current skater who can do it is Akiko Shizuki.

Recently, Joannie Rochette, Rachael Flatt, and Alena Leonova have done 7 triples LPs too.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
Recently, Joannie Rochette, Rachael Flatt, and Alena Leonova have done 7 triples LPs too.

7 triples program is no longer the norm. 6.5 triple program is!! lol

After all with all the 2A poping everywhere, 2A does have 2.5 revolution too and only .5 less than 3T. ^_^

Kalle, thanks so much for your eyewitness report! It's great to hear from people who actually got to be there. A person in the venue always notices some detail that doesn't come through on TV (or in my case this year, YouTube). I'm so pleased to hear that Carolina did such a good job on home ice, and that Mao, Mirai, and Rippon were so impressive to you. How nice that you got to encounter some of the skaters off the ice, too.

figuristka

Medalist
Thanks Kalle for your comment from watching live. Its always interesting to me how the skater's come across live, as its not always the same as tv. Glad you enjoyed watching Cynthia. I used to live in Canada so have seen her many times, though not live. Glad Europeans got the chance to see her when she is skating well. Iam not sure if she will be a really consistant skater throughout the season next year but if she peaks at the right time again for Worlds then its good.

kalle

On the Ice
Kalle, thanks so much for your eyewitness report! It's great to hear from people who actually got to be there. A person in the venue always notices some detail that doesn't come through on TV (or in my case this year, YouTube). I'm so pleased to hear that Carolina did such a good job on home ice, and that Mao, Mirai, and Rippon were so impressive to you. How nice that you got to encounter some of the skaters off the ice, too.
I always enjoy reading other skating fans reports too
It is not often that I get to see live skating but each time I realize how differently you experience some skaters and their programs.

Last edited:

ajjcanada

Rinkside
Yes, thanks for the birds-eye report. I think there are some things that don't make it through the TV which impact how those of us at home may see and judge the skaters, such as speed/flow across the ice.

kalle

On the Ice
Thanks Kalle for your comment from watching live. Its always interesting to me how the skater's come across live, as its not always the same as tv. Glad you enjoyed watching Cynthia. I used to live in Canada so have seen her many times, though not live. Glad Europeans got the chance to see her when she is skating well. Iam not sure if she will be a really consistant skater throughout the season next year but if she peaks at the right time again for Worlds then its good.

Cynthia skate was just fantastic, I hope this boots her confidence as she has a lot of potential.
She was very elegant, powerfull, yet very gentle on the ice and for the first time in years, I did not "think" that she would fall, she seemed to be in a very good place mentally speaking.

I like the fact that it is not impossible to become a champion at a "later" stage in your career. I really admire skaters such as Shizuka and Joannie, the way they worked their way up from year to year.
I believe you shall never give up, that is why sometimes it is kind of cruel to read that some people prefers skaters like Alissa and Carolina to retire..
As a fan it can be frustrating to see such talented skaters not live up to their potentials but I realised after Carolinas skate yesterday that she was there for the love of skating, I really felt that it meant so much to her to be able to share her emotions through her program despite the final standings..

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Cynthia was awesome! I'm wondering though, is it just a coincidence that all the Canadian lady skaters are SO MUSCULAR? I mean really, Joannie, Cynthia, Amelie, Myrianne, Dianne. Maybe they condition with the hockey players :laugh:? Whatever, I like seeing a tall, muscular woman like Cynthia on the ice.