Page 63 of 101 FirstFirst ... 13 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladies - LP

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    TES:
    1. Mao Asada, JPN, 67.02
    2. Yu-na Kim, KOR, 66.45
    3. Miki Ando, JPN, 63.64
    4. Cynthia Phaneuf, CAN, 61.48
    5. Akiko Suzuki, JPN, 58.96
    6. Ksenia Markrova, RUS, 55.14
    7. Viktoria Helgesson, SWE, 54.91
    8. Carolina Kostner , ITA. 54.87
    9. Laura Lepisto, FIN, 54.24
    10. Sarah Hecken, GER, 54.14

PCS

1. Yu-na Kim, KOR, 65.04
    2. Mao Asada, JPN, 62.48
    3. Carolina Kostner, ITA, 60.24
    4. Laura Lepisto, FIN, 60.08
    5. Miki Ando, JPN, 58.40
    6. Mirai Nagasu, USA, 57.04
    7. Cynthia Phaneuf , CAN, 56.56
    8. Ksenia Markrova, RUS, 53.44
    9. Rachael Flatt, USA, 53.36
    10. Akiko Suzuki, JPN, 52.72

+GOE
    1. Yuna Kim , KOR, 9.40
    2. Cynthia Phaneuf, CAN 8.50
    3. Miki Ando, JPN 8.24
    4. Laura Lepisto, FIN 8.20
    5. Mao Asada, JPN 7.72
    6. Akiko Suzuki JPN 4.08
    7. Mirai Nagasu, USA, 3.98
    8. Yan Liu, CHN, 3.70
    9. Cheltzie Lee, AUS, 3.62
    10. Sarah Hecken, GER, 3.10

The GOE is telling here. Yu-na did not do the best program, but the judges clearly rewarded her for good execution on her 3-3 and her earlier jumps. (her PCS is probably over marked). Laura also got great GOE despite doubling those jumps (and PCS helped!) And some cool people on the GOE list!
    Reposting this for anyone who is interested.

Custom Title
    It's very reminiscent of how the masses would react to a Michelle Kwan loss circa 1997-1999. As Dick Button was famously quoted, "anyone else can fall and you don't think twice about it, but when Michelle Kwan falls, it's headline news."
    I guess but I don't get it since Yu na usually makes a couple of mistakes in her long. She's never been as consistent and Michelle. I've been wondering has Tara and especially Johnny watch the ladies comps the past 4 plus years because if they have like I think then they would know that Yu na isn't usually mistake free. There's a reason there's 3 different world champions before the Olympics. The short problems were shocking because she's very consistent in the short...but the long...

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    then, please happy tresure hunting, I am too lazy to find you the exact rule quote after having to deal with a troll already. Or you can trust what I told you, I wouldn't make this kind of thing up.
    I know that you're pretty keen on the rules. I'm just a nerd and like reading technical documentation BTW thanks for your insights--I know we don't always agree, but the discussion has been fun!

But why should the judges give her partial credit for her botched spin in the SP?
    Kind of off topic, but I wonder if she did not lose time doing the second spin there. I mean I assume she did because her first botched spin took up some time. Her spiral also took some more time due to the mistake. Then I wonder how she kept up with the music. Her SP choreos are timed right on the music and it's difficult when you are off the music. I thought that she did not check her 2A landing long enough but it might have been because she was feeling rushed for the delay. But she managed to finish on time, which was good.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadia01 View Post
    Huh?

Why are you attacking me? Is it b/c you're offended that I don't think Mirai is the best thing since the sliced bread?
    Yes, that is it

Sorry, i did not mean to be 'attacking" as much as "disagreeing" - OK?

And I do disagree with your premise that Yua did not have as much to prove. Great skaters do compile great competitive records. Yuna has an exceptionally fine record. Winning this championship would have moved her closer to the top of the all-time greats. And losing perhaps shows something else......

Sorry if you feel like I am "attacking" Yuna. I happen to prefer Yuna to Mao - but Mao clearly defeated Yuna at this Worlds. If they continue competing Mao just made giant steps to bringing their competitive records closer. This rivalry was perhaps reignited by Mao's win at this WC.

Should Yuna retire - and Mao continue - and if she wins a few more WC's and then Sochi - it is not hard to think who might be remebered as the top skater of her era.

Just saying, - and major events like WC's do count.
    Last edited by janetfan; 03-27-2010 at 01:48 PM.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by chachacha View Post
    I apology for that and I take it back then. I just felt so angry that many people bashing Yuna and said she didn't deserve the mark she got. But I kinda calm down now. However, I still do believe that Yuna can still win this world title if the judge give her partial credit for her spin.
    I sympathize with you on your feeling but usually I feel that going down to the same level doesn't really help. For her spin in SP, I don't think such credit is possible by the strict ruling. if the tech were lenient like Oly maybe, but this tech seems to be super harsh. But then without super exact tech we may have seen different podium at least different Bronze who knows. Realistically she was still in control of her destiny in this competition even after SP, that just shows how much she is dominating the field right now. Still it wouldn't have been easy, and I applaud Yuna to come back from 7th finish in SP to 1st in LP and overall silver medal.

Custom Title
    Here's my vision of the ladies free skate http://worldskating.blogspot.com/201...ree-skate.html

Mao totally deserved her win. I'm not seeing the but what ifs there as Janetfan said Mao gets full credit. I do think she wanted it the most (and thats okay to say) but I think Yu-na is just tired too and that's fine as well. Nobody's going to be perfect every time....

I am going to say this though in regards to the bronze, I really disagree with Laura's bronze. Laura landed only 3 triples and five of her jumping passes were filled with only doubles... That just bothers me. I'd rather see someone medal who is attempting actual jump difficulty and makes some mistakes. Then someone medal with doubles. I don't know for sure but I would prefer to see bronze go to Kostner, Cynthia or Ando. I felt Kostner, Mao and Cynthia all deserved higher PCS. I get this isn't figure jumping. But this isn't ice dancing either. Jumps matter.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ryoko View Post
    Orser once said in interview that being with Yuna in Korea is like traveling with Princess Diana. Since then there has been some sour grapes calling her "Diana" for no reason.
    No fans ever call her "Diana." In fact, there was only one person who started calling her "Diana" in Golden Skate (UM84/Artistry/Watchvancouver... they are same person).
    I am assuming that this might be the same person as well.
    I feel bad for Orser that Yuna haters are calling her Diana Kim. He only said that to mean how much reaction Kim gets from her Korean fans when he travels with her.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by lavender View Post
    I guess but I don't get it since Yu na usually makes a couple of mistakes in her long. She's never been as consistent and Michelle. I've been wondering has Tara and especially Johnny watch the ladies comps the past 4 plus years because if they have like I think then they would know that Yu na isn't usually mistake free. There's a reason there's 3 different world champions before the Olympics. The short problems were shocking because she's very consistent in the short...but the long...
    Actually, she won the LP with in 2008. She got bronze because she was so far behind in the short (just like here!) But I would agree that Yu-na isn't as consistent as Michelle. However, I think people were mostly shocked because of two clean programs in Vancouver.

Custom Title
    Congrats to Mao, Yu-Na, and Laura!
    Redemption for Mao after Olympics, for Yu-Na after that SP, and for Laura.... well.

BTW, this might not be an appropriate thread to ask this question,
    but what if Mao had done 2A-2T instead of 3A-2T in SP like CoR earlier this season? How can she change her SP layout then?

Edit: Oops. It must've been my wish that she could do 3A-3T that took over my mind and controlled it for a second there
    Last edited by magicalwords; 03-27-2010 at 01:54 PM. Reason: oops.

It's PCS that's killing Miki now. It's kind of strange in that the team had decided to focus on her artistry and she improved a lot in that department. If you are shot in your PCS despite going clean, there's not much that you can do.
    She won Bronze at 2009 Worlds and won two GPs and Silver at GPF so that she'd have enough reputation scores. I wonder what made judges decide to judge her PCS like that. It's true that she's been kind of slow though.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by magicalwords View Post
    Congrats to Mao, Yu-Na, and Laura!
    Redemption for Mao after Olympics, for Yu-Na after that SP, and for Laura.... well.

BTW, this might not be an appropriate thread to ask this question,
    but what if Mao had done 2A-2T instead of 3A-3T in SP like CoR earlier this season? How can she change her SP layout then?
    Didn't she have a plan for this? I don't recall what it was though.

Custom Title
    I really disagree with Laura's bronze. Laura landed only 3 triples and five of her jumping passes were filled with only doubles... That just bothers me.
    yeah I don't get that blog at all. How does it question Yu na's scores and not Lepisto. I don't agree with Yu na's scores however I also don't get Laura deserving a medal but it's this sometimes weird points system. I would have rather seen Miki or someone with a better long and short on the podium.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    It's PCS that's killing Miki now. It's kind of strange in that the team had decided to focus on her artistry and she improved a lot in that department. If you are shot in your PCS despite going clean, there's not much that you can do.
    She won Bronze at 2009 Worlds and won two GPs and Silver at GPF so that she'd have enough reputation scores. I wonder what made judges decide to judge her PCS like that. It's true that she's been kind of slow though.
    I think maybe she's like the ladies version of Zhang/Zhang in the pairs? Consistant in jumps (with yesterday being the exception) but sort of slow and not showing the emotion fully otherwise. I mean Z/Z brought it in the LP and they still couldn't get on the podium.

Page 63 of 101 FirstFirst ... 13 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... LastLast