Page 8 of 101 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 58 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 1511

Thread: Ladies - LP

  1. #106
    skating philosopher Mrs. P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    9,338
    Quote Originally Posted by dlgpffps View Post
    So I come back to this point: Why do we even have a Worlds weeks after the Olympic Games? It's just cruel, useless and anticlimactic.
    I don't think so. We saw some great performances in pairs. I mean for S&S to finally do that "Out of Africa" program so nicely was great to see after their disappointment at the Olympics. Davidson and Dube did better here (at least in the LP)...so did the American pairs. And of course Pang and Tong were amazing!

    And have you seen Ice Dance? Davis and White got little medals because they won the free dance with a performance that was even better than Vancouver. We got to see the Frence ice dance team do a fun clown program (instead of hearing Requium for a Dream AGAIN..I swear that soundtrack is becoming the next Carmen for Pairs/Ice Dance)

    And Dice-K (Daisuke Takahashi) attempted a quad flip! So no, I don't think it's useless.

  2. #107
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    4,971
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I don't think Brian Orser will allow MJ to get too upset. He clearly sees the potential in her and wants her to know that despite the result, that she has it.
    I sure hope so. She was such a breath of fresh air at 4CC and the Olympics, it was sad to see her struggle here. She's in good company though, seeing that even Queen Yuna had an off night yesterday. I also wonder if not having a day in between the SP and the FS is tough for skaters? I know I'd be tired.

  3. #108
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    I agree. Although I guess for the people that didn't do well at the Olympics it's an opportunity to redeem themselves. I just think most people will have a good olympics and a bad worlds or a bad olympics and a good worlds, and those few special ones will have a good olympics and a good worlds.
    This is nothing new. They always have Worlds even in Olympic years. In the old days, before the GP skaters did not have as many competitions. Who is the last Lady OC to win Worlds - was it Kristi back in '92?

  4. #109
    Custom Title skatemom1122's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    504
    Quote Originally Posted by dlgpffps View Post
    Yeah, you're right. Sorry to beat the dead horse. This debate occurs every Worlds after the OG. I'm just frustrated to think some skaters are just too tired after a long year to perform their best. I can't even begin to fathom how draining performing in one competition is, let alone two practically back to back.
    I can see what you mean! It is a very long and stressful season out there. I think that a worlds should definetly be held, but I think the top skaters should give themselves a break! No one is forcing them to come, and I think they should just take it easy. I was shocked that Yu-Na was competing, and look what happened. These seasons are a big burden on skaters, emotionally and physically, and sometimes I think they do not realize their limits.
    Last edited by skatemom1122; 03-27-2010 at 07:53 AM.

  5. #110
    skating philosopher Mrs. P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    9,338
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    I sure hope so. She was such a breath of fresh air at 4CC and the Olympics, it was sad to see her struggle here. She's in good company though, seeing that even Queen Yuna had an off night yesterday. I also wonder if not having a day in between the SP and the FS is tough for skaters? I know I'd be tired.
    There's quite a bit of discussion about that. And the answer is perhaps? 4CC and Olympics both had a day off for the Ladies between competitions, but not the GPF. But I think not having a day off is probably more typical?

  6. #111
    Banned janetfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemom1122 View Post
    I can see what you mean! It is a very long and stressful season out there. I think that a worlds should definetly be held, but I think the top skaters should give themselves a break! No one is forcing them to come, and I think they should just take it easy. I was shocked that Yu-Na was competing, and look what happened. These seasons are a big burden on skaters, and sometimes I think they do not realize their limits.
    Mao and Akiko did Natls and 4CC. Akiko also did the GPF. I am sure some are very tired.
    Yuna did not have to do a Natls and skipped 4cc - but she was still training all of that time for the Olympics. So yes, it is a long season.

    I wonder if Yuna is here mostly to keep two spots for Korea next season at Worlds?

  7. #112
    Custom Title figuristka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Finland & Canada
    Posts
    1,366
    Gosh its a long break between groups.

  8. #113
    Mashimaro on Ice
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,419
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemom1122 View Post
    I can see what you mean! It is a very long and stressful season out there. I think that a worlds should definetly be held, but I think the top skaters should give themselves a break! No one is forcing them to come, and I think they should just take it easy. I was shocked that Yu-Na was competing, and look what happened. These seasons are a big burden on skaters, emotionally and physically, and sometimes I think they do not realize their limits.
    Well, skaters have their reasons for participating. Miki wants redemption. Mao because she hasn't had two performances she was satisfied with this season. Yuna came because I think she really wants to defend her title. Edit: It was Kristi Yamaguchi, who was the last to win Worlds after Olympics.
    Last edited by miki88; 03-27-2010 at 07:59 AM.

  9. #114
    skating philosopher Mrs. P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    9,338
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    This is nothing new. They always have Worlds even in Olympic years. In the old days, before the GP skaters did not have as many competitions. Who is the last Lady OC to win Worlds - was it Kristi back in '92?
    Yes. In fact she was the last OGM to actually not skip Worlds. It's been a while! But one thing to think about is that in 1992, we didn't have the Grand Prix like it is today. I mean people did GP events, but there wasn't a final, so there was quite a bit of space between the GP events and the Olympics. So I think the lack of OGMs in Worlds also reflects that.

  10. #115
    skating philosopher Mrs. P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    9,338
    Quote Originally Posted by miki88 View Post
    Well, skaters have their reasons for participating. Miki wants redemption. Mao because she hasn't had two performances she was satisfied with this season. Yuna came because I think she really wants to defend her title. The last skater who did it after the Olympics was Witt I believe.
    Actually Kristi Yamaguchi did it in 1992. (She won with teh U.S. medal sweep in 1991. Wow...it would be tough to do that today!)

  11. #116
    Medalist ryoko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by janetfan View Post
    Mao and Akiko did Natls and 4CC. Akiko also did the GPF. I am sure some are very tired.
    Yuna did not have to do a Natls and skipped 4cc - but she was still training all of that time for the Olympics. So yes, it is a long season.

    I wonder if Yuna is here mostly to keep two spots for Korea next season at Worlds?
    I am sure that is the case- Korean skating union wouldn't have let her skip the event.

  12. #117
    Brazilian Eurotrash beep_beep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Porto Alegre, Brazil
    Posts
    2,017
    Quote Originally Posted by figuristka View Post
    Gosh its a long break between groups.
    It's meant to. It's part of the cost cutting thing for the ISU: show the fist group too early, 'cause you know, no one is going to watch, wait for a loooong while, and the go on and throw the whole circus for the other groups, the ones that are worth it!

    ...and they're warming up!

  13. #118
    Custom Title MikiAndoFan#1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    2,864
    The second group is on the ice!

  14. #119
    Custom Title MikiAndoFan#1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    2,864
    Go Sarah!

  15. #120
    Custom Title Nadia01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    921
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    I think everyone is getting fatigued! But yes, I think it's a lot for Akiko considering that she's only doing GP events and 4CC in 2009. I think we are so used by Akiko and her charm and skill that we forget that this is her world's championships debut!
    Akiko wasn't planning to compete at the Worlds, but she had to b/c Yukari w/d.

Page 8 of 101 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 58 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •